20K/Small World Rehab Connection . . .

GoofMaul

beanboon said:
I don't think there is any way the waterways could be connected. The 20k water was filthy with diesel fuel (just look at the waterlines on the boats, they're black), the small world boats would likely have similar issues.

Considering how strong the smell of diesel and chlorine was there is no way you could run that water through a closed show building like small world without it being obvious.

The thing about fuel is it is very easily filtered from water in an enclosed environment as it doesn't mix with the water. I would hope with the size of 20k lagoon and the number of run throughs per day of the boats that they would have some sort of filtration system for this if the boats ran off of Diesel. Honestly I don't know.

Another possible explanation taking into account the leveling between IASW and 20k is that they may be connected to the same draining mechanism and resevoir system so to completely dismantle 20k they would have to rebuild the draining system for IASW, which may be included in the IASW rehab.

Anyway, another intersting thing I found on MagicalMountain.net is that some of the Nautilus submarines are sunk off Disney's private Island, Castaway Cay. Can anyone confirm that? http://www.magicalmountain.net/WDWArchives/20000Leagues.asp

leifink

yes they are there, I saw them the last time I went to the island, but anyways here are some pictures...
magicsubs_s.jpg

FRM_DISNEY_CRUISE_LINE.jpg

PeterAlt

20KUtS replacement

I really wonder what they have planned for that space. I hope that it's a new E-ticket in the form of a mountain, or the rumored Mermaid Lagoon. The question is... is the money available for an E-ticket. Figuring that E-tickets cost approximately $100 million, I hope the recent $100 million being spent on rehabs wasn't money that was originally planned for an E-ticket, but came from extra spending!

In any case, Magic Kingdom is due for a new E-ticket. Some could argue that Stitch is an E-ticket and is filling that need. But Stitch is simply a "new show" for the theater that used to house Mission to the Moon, Mission to Mars, and Alien Encounter, so I don't think its fair if they're considering Stitch to be Magic Kingdom's next E-ticket.

Planned E-ticket or not for the 20KUtS space, something must go there in the meantime. If an E-ticket isn't planned for the immediate future, I hope what is going there is simply a placeholder until they build an E-ticket!

aimster

yensidtlaw1969 said:
So, when they drined the lagoon, they inavertantly drained Small World as well, so they decided to rehab it as well since it needed it.

I find that kinda odd because they had planned on draining Small World anyway. I think the Small World rehab had been definitely planned before they even started draining the 20k lagoon because it (Small World) was in dire need of a massive overhaul.

Jawsman

I read somewhere on the site that the red-painted sub had been stripped of all it's recognisable Harper Goff features, such as the sail, it's tail etc. Is this true? I'm going to go out there sometime with the Disney Cruise line, it will be great to see the subs again...

Can anyone tell me what year they took the subs out to the island?

SpenceMan01

I am wondering at the notion that IASW and 20k being connected. Isn't the entrance to the utilidors back there. I remember seeing a picture of a large entrance right behind fanasyland that leads down into the utilidors (large enough for trucks, etc., IRRC). Having those large tunnels there makes it hard for me to swallow the notion of the 2 rides having connected waterways.

kevmagkingdom

Account Suspended
I think the CM was wrong, somehow. Small World doesn't actually touch the Lagoon. Small World has been ready for rehab (it was announced) since March 2004,and the Lagoon project was pretty much started without notice. Also the Lagoon had been long drained by the time Small world was -- SW closed May 2, was drained by May 6 or so. The Lagoon was drained around April 30 or something.

TheDisneyGirl02

SpenceMan01 said:
I am wondering at the notion that IASW and 20k being connected. Isn't the entrance to the utilidors back there. I remember seeing a picture of a large entrance right behind fanasyland that leads down into the utilidors (large enough for trucks, etc., IRRC). Having those large tunnels there makes it hard for me to swallow the notion of the 2 rides having connected waterways.

To answer your question, there is an entrance to the tunnel by IASW. It's actually below Pinoccio Village Haus. I don't know about the connection between IASW and 20K, but the entrance is down there for sure!

TheDisneyGirl02

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
TheDisneyGirl02 said:
To answer your question, there is an entrance to the tunnel by IASW. It's actually below Pinoccio Village Haus. I don't know about the connection between IASW and 20K, but the entrance is down there for sure!

TheDisneyGirl02

i recruit you disneygirl to go check it out.................. and take some good pics. lol

need some gas money?

yensidtlaw1969

Original Poster
Problem, the lagoon is gone :( and the tunnel is closed up :cry: . Totally awesopme and smart idea though! I'll try that with the Rivers of America and Jungle cruise . . .

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Problem, the lagoon is gone :( and the tunnel is closed up :cry: . Totally awesopme and smart idea though! I'll try that with the Rivers of America and Jungle cruise . . .

when all else fails, blame Eisner

kevmagkingdom

Account Suspended
I don't agree AT ALL with removing 20k/the lagoon, but then again what else could they be doing with it? It's a lose lose situation -- we lose the lagoon, but otherwise they'd lose money. A lil humor for ya.

catholiclady57

You sure about that?

If this is true...what happened when they used to drain the 20K lagoon during normal downtime for painting and repair? I used to work at 20K and was actually one of the last boat captains on the final day of operation years ago. During those years of working there I never heard of this connected waterway between attractions. If this theory were true, wouldn't small world have to be down for rehab at the same time as 20K for all those years?

I also have to tell everyone that of all of the attractions at the Magic Kingdom, 20K was the most rewarding and most "fun" attraction to work at. There was so much comaraderie between all of the guys that worked that attraction. Almost 10 years later, I'm living in New York City and working for a magazine but I still long for those hot summer days standing at the edge of the beautiful lagoon. I hate to see these demolition pictures that have surfaced recently as it does feel like a part of my early adulthood is being torn down.

Chris
You are correct, Chris. I worked in Fantasyland Ops at Small World and Skyway in the 70s. As a matter of fact, my husband worked at 20k around the same time which is where I met him. Neither one of us ever heard of SW and 20k having connected waterways. There were times that 20k would be down for regular maintenance as my dad also worked at WDW in maintenance (he retired from WDW). At no time was Small World ever down when 20k was down. However, Mike and I left WDW in 1978, so anything could have happened, but Dad never mentioned anything about Small World and 20k both being down for rehab/maintenance at the same time. Dad retired in 2010).

JoeCamel

You are correct, Chris. I worked in Fantasyland Ops at Small World and Skyway in the 70s. As a matter of fact, my husband worked at 20k around the same time which is where I met him. Neither one of us ever heard of SW and 20k having connected waterways. There were times that 20k would be down for regular maintenance as my dad also worked at WDW in maintenance (he retired from WDW). At no time was Small World ever down when 20k was down. However, Mike and I left WDW in 1978, so anything could have happened, but Dad never mentioned anything about Small World and 20k both being down for rehab/maintenance at the same time. Dad retired in 2010).
Can you hear the echo of casting a reply to a 20 yo post on a message board about a long dead attraction?

No the water was not connected but was 20K leaking? In any case they found their excuse

TalkingHead

20KUtS replacement

I really wonder what they have planned for that space. I hope that it's a new E-ticket in the form of a mountain, or the rumored Mermaid Lagoon. The question is... is the money available for an E-ticket. Figuring that E-tickets cost approximately $100 million, I hope the recent $100 million being spent on rehabs wasn't money that was originally planned for an E-ticket, but came from extra spending!

In any case, Magic Kingdom is due for a new E-ticket. Some could argue that Stitch is an E-ticket and is filling that need. But Stitch is simply a "new show" for the theater that used to house Mission to the Moon, Mission to Mars, and Alien Encounter, so I don't think its fair if they're considering Stitch to be Magic Kingdom's next E-ticket.

Planned E-ticket or not for the 20KUtS space, something must go there in the meantime. If an E-ticket isn't planned for the immediate future, I hope what is going there is simply a placeholder until they build an E-ticket!
This post is genuinely funny twenty years later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom