News 2024 EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival

Comped

“You guys like the Doobie Brothers?? Well, we got one of them!”
"Oh, plus a bunch of bands that have hits! Well, one or two of them each, that you may remember from television or a film somewhere. And a lot of Latin acts for some reason. And some bands who barely have any actual members from when they were popular left - though different ones than we used to get!"

Tha Realest

"We couldn't afford Foreigner or Journey, so we got the next best thing!" - whoever approved this list

Seriously - who the heck are most of these acts? Seems like a bunch of no name and tribute acts!
I just explained it to you. Yet you seem to be pining for Journey, which has only one remaining original member and hasn’t had Steve Perry since 1987, so that is functionally a tribute band.

And none of the original members of Foreigner are traveling with the band.

Tha Realest

"Oh, plus a bunch of bands that have hits! Well, one or two of them each, that you may remember from television or a film somewhere. And a lot of Latin acts for some reason. And some bands who barely have any actual members from when they were popular left - though different ones than we used to get!"
You seem to want to discount the “Latin acts” and some of the biggest R&B acts of the 80’s and 90’s.

Wonder why that could be?

Lilofan

As. Gen X’er I have to defend the slander towards some of these acts:

Quadruple platinum debut album in 2005, biggest song became theme song to Gray’s Anatomy

Multiple top songs from late 90’s to early 00’s, lead singer is popular TV and Sirius XM host

Not personally a huge fan of theirs or this type of music but they’ve sold over 10 million albums and have had a few recognizable songs

One of the early icons of the mid-80’s pop music era.

Arguably one of the best drummers of all time, and put out classic hits in the mid-80’s due to her association with Prince.

He’s had a number of hits over the last decade.

Member of *NSYNC. TV host. If you don’t know him, that’s on you.

American Idol and Star Search winner. Tons of hit songs.

Another artist who created multiple iconic 80’s songs that reached #1.

HUGE in the late 90’s. Again, not my cup of tea, but they were everywhere for a minute there.

Oh, just one of the most iconic R&B groups of all time and created a new genre of music.

Not a big fan but they were very big in their lane and achieved mainstream success.

Ditto above.
Boyz II Men really rocks the house. Some many screams from the crowd and all singing word for word with the band.

TrainsOfDisney

Nobody asked my opinion haha but I’d love it if they would do a custom concert produced by Disney live entertainment.

Imagine the Voices of Liberty, Jammitors, and others performing a Food & Wine Festival show - with equity actors presenting commentary of course - imagine former comedy warehouse characters being wine and foot crititcs! Haha

Lilofan

Nobody asked my opinion haha but I’d love it if they would do a custom concert produced by Disney live entertainment.

Imagine the Voices of Liberty, Jammitors, and others performing a Food & Wine Festival show - with equity actors presenting commentary of course - imagine former comedy warehouse characters being wine and foot crititcs! Haha
Enjoyed Mulch Sweat and Shears back in the day at HS!

Lilofan

As. Gen X’er I have to defend the slander towards some of these acts:

Quadruple platinum debut album in 2005, biggest song became theme song to Gray’s Anatomy

Multiple top songs from late 90’s to early 00’s, lead singer is popular TV and Sirius XM host

Not personally a huge fan of theirs or this type of music but they’ve sold over 10 million albums and have had a few recognizable songs

One of the early icons of the mid-80’s pop music era.

Arguably one of the best drummers of all time, and put out classic hits in the mid-80’s due to her association with Prince.

He’s had a number of hits over the last decade.

Member of *NSYNC. TV host. If you don’t know him, that’s on you.

American Idol and Star Search winner. Tons of hit songs.

Another artist who created multiple iconic 80’s songs that reached #1.

HUGE in the late 90’s. Again, not my cup of tea, but they were everywhere for a minute there.

Oh, just one of the most iconic R&B groups of all time and created a new genre of music.

Not a big fan but they were very big in their lane and achieved mainstream success.

Ditto above.
Back in the day when MGM had real acts on NYE 1999 park closed at 3am, Cheap Trick played at NY Street, 98 degrees played at the eating area of Sunset Market Ranch, Big Band Swing Orchestra at Indiana Jones theatre, DJ in front of Great Movie Ride, comedians at Doug Live theatre. That was an incredible night.

TrainsOfDisney

Back in the day when MGM had real acts on NYE 1999 park closed at 3am, Cheap Trick played at NY Street, 98 degrees played at the eating area of Sunset Market Ranch, Big Band Swing Orchestra at Indiana Jones theatre, DJ in front of Great Movie Ride, comedians at Doug Live theatre. That was an incredible night.
I missed out on those days but I do remember Comedy Warehouse until midnight - mulch playing at the big stage, then open until 3 am. I celebrated new years with a viewing of muppet vision and then a stroll through the Osborne lights

Lilofan

I missed out on those days but I do remember Comedy Warehouse until midnight - mulch playing at the big stage, then open until 3 am. I celebrated new years with a viewing of muppet vision and then a stroll through the Osborne lights
MGM got cheap when they got rid of musical groups from Hollywood and replacing with Mulch Sweat and Shears to be on the big stage at Great Movie Ride on NYE. The Mulch cast were really talented nd we enjoyed hearing them on Streets of America during the day performing several sets a day. The Osborne Lights were incredible even when the snow machine actually worked. The guests at Ft Wilderness campground were very creative in Dec. In the RV loops , many RVs were decked out with Christmas lights and they turned their loops into their own light show.

Comped

I just explained it to you. Yet you seem to be pining for Journey, which has only one remaining original member and hasn’t had Steve Perry since 1987, so that is functionally a tribute band.

And none of the original members of Foreigner are traveling with the band.
It was an example. I'd happily take Starship. Night Ranger, Air Supply, or a number of others.
You seem to want to discount the “Latin acts” and some of the biggest R&B acts of the 80’s and 90’s.

Wonder why that could be?
Boys II Men is one I've actually heard of, so they were on the 35% or so of names that I actively recognized (though I'm not able to name a song of theirs off the top of my head). Many others I might have heard a song once or twice from them but would have no idea who they are otherwise. If you're implying some kind of racial issue, you are sorely mistaken, rather it just tells you about my musical preferences (and is also an objective fact). Not a big fan of Latin music personally, and about 80% of my musical listening is roughly consisting of bands or artists who had some good level of popularity in the 1960s to 1980s, and musical theatre cast albums.

The last time Disney did a significant new offering that wasn't the Guardians show, happened to be the relatively expensive ($250 per night per musician) Pixar orchestra show, which was very much lauded by critics and the arts community in Orlando but was never sustainable. In this case, this kind of a show would never get past DLE today, mostly because they know the higher-ups would never approve it and they don't have full control over entertainment anymore. Impossible to back for money because it has no IP that can be monetized or synergized. Unfortunately.

Oh and you don't want to know how much Disney has to pay Equity actors. I've looked at some of their old agreements in the past and I don't think it is sustainable even with dinner sales.
Yep. Back in the day when Disney would spend good money for live entertainment. I'm convinced they have a roster of C/D level acts on retainer at this point because so many of them seem to repeat. Back in the 90s of course it was 60s and 70s bands (The Monkees allegedly almost caused a riot when they made an appearance one year), but even until fairly recently Disney was spending good money on getting bands with really good name recognition... Which is my primary complaint.
MGM got cheap when they got rid of musical groups from Hollywood and replacing with Mulch Sweat and Shears to be on the big stage at Great Movie Ride on NYE. The Mulch cast were really talented nd we enjoyed hearing them on Streets of America during the day performing several sets a day. The Osborne Lights were incredible even when the snow machine actually worked. The guests at Ft Wilderness campground were very creative in Dec. In the RV loops , many RVs were decked out with Christmas lights and they turned their loops into their own light show.
Live entertainment is really expensive. And while a good night time show, stage show, parade, or even fireworks, have been proven to generate significant revenues on paper for Disney in the past, big one-off concerts don't. (I'm sure Universal has different math than I do, otherwise they wouldn't do it, the same with Seaworld.) I have no financial data as to how much money Disney makes off of these dining packages, but I have to assume that they've started cutting back on the bigger acts because of wanting to make more instead of having it go to artist pay. Similarly, that's why you likely saw them cut big name artists from parties and such, because it makes it much harder to be profitable.

Last edited:

Lilofan

It was an example. I'd happily take Starship. Night Ranger, Air Supply, or a number of others.

Boys II Men is one I've actually heard of, so they were on the 35% or so of names that I actively recognized (though I'm not able to name a song of theirs off the top of my head). Many others I might have heard a song once or twice from them but would have no idea who they are otherwise. If you're implying some kind of racial issue, you are sorely mistaken, rather it just tells you about my musical preferences (and is also an objective fact). Not a big fan of Latin music personally, and about 80% of my musical listening is roughly consisting of bands or artists who had some good level of popularity in the 1960s to 1980s, and musical theatre cast albums.

The last time Disney did a significant new offering that wasn't the Guardians show, happened to be the relatively expensive ($250 per night per musician) Pixar orchestra show, which was very much lauded by critics and the arts community in Orlando but was never sustainable. In this case, this kind of a show would never get past DLE today, mostly because they know the higher-ups would never approve it and they don't have full control over entertainment anymore. Impossible to back for money because it has no IP that can be monetized or synergized. Unfortunately.

Oh and you don't want to know how much Disney has to pay Equity actors. I've looked at some of their old agreements in the past and I don't think it is sustainable even with dinner sales.

Yep. Back in the day when Disney would spend good money for live entertainment. I'm convinced they have a roster of C/D level acts on retainer at this point because so many of them seem to repeat. Back in the 90s of course it was 60s and 70s bands (The Monkees allegedly almost caused a riot when they made an appearance one year), but even until fairly recently Disney was spending good money on getting bands with really good name recognition... Which is my primary complaint.

Live entertainment is really expensive. And while a good night time show, stage show, parade, or even fireworks, have been proven to generate significant revenues on paper for Disney in the past, big one-off concerts don't. (I'm sure Universal has different math than I do, otherwise they wouldn't do it, the same with Seaworld.) I have no financial data as to how much money Disney makes off of these dining packages, but I have to assume that they've started cutting back on the bigger acts because of wanting to make more instead of having it go to artist pay. Similarly, that's why you likely saw them cut big name artists from parties and such, because it makes it much harder to be profitable.
And when the artist thanks Disney during their performance that means thanks for the paycheck and free vacation for me and my family !

TrainsOfDisney

the relatively expensive ($250 per night per musician) Pixar orchestra show,
How much should orchestra musicians make?
I mean Boyz II Men and Switchfoot are making more money than the old comedy warehouse guys I’m certain of that haha.

While they have made lots of cuts, there are still a decent number of equity actors and union musicians working each day.

My suggestion was that Disney could pull from the local talent pool and potentially save money vs. the touring acts.

Comped

How much should orchestra musicians make?
I was just noting the price because it is significantly more than Disney would normally spend on entertainment on a nightly basis. Equity actors (and most other entertainment) do not make quite that much per night, although if you include benefits and all that they probably do. It's why we likely didn't see that very popular show return, because of the costs involved that were higher than Disney would like. I don't have an opinion on how much they should be making, and that number has likely gone up since then, just mentioned it because I thought it was a particularly interesting number for one night's work.

TrainsOfDisney

I was just noting the price because it is significantly more than Disney would normally spend on entertainment on a nightly basis.
Candlelight has a larger orchestra plus the voices who are equity. It is performed nightly.

I’m not sure what nightly entertainment you are comparing - but the Epcot concerts probably cost just as much if not significantly more than the Pixar concerts did.
just mentioned it because I thought it was a particularly interesting number for one night's work.
It’s only an interesting number if you think they are paid too high. If that’s the case, I’m interested in what you think they are worth?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Folks tend to ignore that the members of these acts of what was current pop groups, like themselves have aged as well. If they are still alive they are older too. The younger acts mentioned like Boys II Men are almost 50. The members of Air Supply that are still alive are in their 70's. The last remain member of the Monkees is 79. Nothing lasts forever, memories last only as long as the person does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom