News 2023 EPCOT International Flower and Garden Festival

Touchdown

Impractical doesn't mean impossible - it used to be done. I think the festivals are too long anyway - makes Epcot into a festival park at times more than being able to stand on its own two feet... Except for FoH which Iwish was actually a bit longer. But that's another discussion for a different thread.
I too wish Cookies and Wine was longer. Now that Food and Wine starts in July I feel like they could end it the last weekend in Oct and then start FoH a week later. However, orchestras are expensive.

Comped

However, orchestras are expensive.
OK, a bit of a rant here... But Disney could easily make it work for them financially.

I did a project in grad school where I costed out the Main Street theatre, and both a hard-ticket premium show for the evening, and a Mickey and the Wondrous Book-style show to relieve capacity during the day. The former with a 30-piece orchestra. More than most Broadway shows, but less than Candlelight has (50 + the conductor, so 51). I look for quite a ways to figure out how much Disney paid their orchestra members, as they are unionized. Closest I could find is during the Pixar orchestral show from several years ago at DHS - each member was being paid $285 a night. At that rate, a 51 piece orchestra costs $14,535 per night, or $58,140 per week. The average dining package for Candlelight cost $75.50 per adult last year. Assuming we're being conservative, and say that Disney fills up 30% of the theatre with paying customers... That's $22,650 per show - 3x a night makes this $67,950. IE for every night they do it extra, they pay for a week's worth of orchestras, plus a hefty profit. Even if you assume a hefty cheque is passed on to the narrator, and even if the wage paid per night to the orchestra has substantially increased per night (to $300/person or more), Disney pays it off in 2 nights a week maximum. Suffice to say, it's nowhere near as expensive as some might think, especially with the dining package. And that was being conservative- fill it up with 40-50% or more, and the money just keeps on coming... More than enough to pay it all off.

They would make money hand over fist.

Thumper 32

As of late, Disney started to fill in the weekdays with local acts, which nobody cared about, because it saved them money. I think they're committing to doing the same thing here, sadly.
To be honest, some of the local bands are better and more entertaining than some of the “name” bands. And Flower and Garden had no concerts mid-week for some number of years pre covid, so this is actually an increase in costs.

Patcheslee

To be honest, some of the local bands are better and more entertaining than some of the “name” bands. And Flower and Garden had no concerts mid-week for some number of years pre covid, so this is actually an increase in costs.
Do they still have the other activities mid-week? i.e. butterfly house, outdoor kitchens and such? We've never been during a festival.

lewisc

The average dining package for Candlelight cost $75.50 per adult last year. Assuming we're being conservative, and say that Disney fills up 30% of the theatre with paying customers... That's $22,650 per show - 3x a night makes this $67,950. IE for every night they do it extra, they pay for a week's worth of orchestras, plus a hefty profit.
I'm confused. You're allocating 100% of the restaurant revenue to CP? Nothing for food, restaurant staff, restaurant overhead and profit? Maybe the differences between CP dinner package price and menu price. A little more, to reflect increased number of diners

lewisc

Nice!!! Ill be at Epcot on the 17th of March (☘️) and as a Long Islander the lead singer of a huge Billy Joel cover band is the perfect addition to my day!!!!
Not just a singer in.a cover band. Almost 10 years ago Mike started playing with Billy Joel. Mike plays guitar and is a backup vocalist in Billy Joel's band.

Comped

I'm confused. You're allocating 100% of the restaurant revenue to CP? Nothing for food, restaurant staff, restaurant overhead and profit? Maybe the differences between CP dinner package price and menu price. A little more, to reflect increased number of diners
Even if you say 70-75% is profit (because Disney's food and labour is relatively cheap), it doesn't change the calculus all that much. Disney could very easily make Candlelight pay for itself for additional weeks if it wanted to.

lewisc

Even if you say 70-75% is profit (because Disney's food and labour is relatively cheap), it doesn't change the calculus all that much. Disney could very easily make Candlelight pay for itself for additional weeks if it wanted to.
I don't agree with your 70% figure. Regardless

You're assuming CP diners are filling tables that would otherwise be empty. Otherwise you're transferring your 75% profit from the restaurant line to the entertainment line.

Maybe some restaurants some nights.

AKL2003

Not just a singer in.a cover band. Almost 10 years ago Mike started playing with Billy Joel. Mike plays guitar and is a backup vocalist in Billy Joel's band.

yep, i've seen him play with Billy Joel quite a few times...he actually hits the notes that Billy can not hit anymore. Very talented musician/vocalist in his own right.

Touchdown

023FC888-914F-45D1-9FC0-25BF30A2FB6C.jpeg

Landscaping is ahead of the curve. Imagination side flower bed is fully planted.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

I have enjoyed seeing the local band M-80's at Epcot a lot. Last time I was there for Flower and Garden none of the name bands really thrilled me but I made time in my schedule to see the M80's.

castlecake2.0

The packages usually include a $10ish dollar “entertainment fee”, but the rest goes to the restaurant

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom