News 2021 Theme Index

UNCgolf

Disney has been inflating wait times at park close for as many years as they've been posting wait times. It's to discourage people from getting in line at the very end of the day.

I don't think it's just at the end of the day -- they're generally inflated throughout the day. Even walk-on attractions usually post a 15-20 minute wait (we rode Little Mermaid with a 25 minute posted wait and walked through the queue and got on without ever seeing a single person in front of us).

I think your explanation is why they inflate them even more at the end of the day, but I imagine it's a guest satisfaction reason for the rest of the day. People will get annoyed and complain if the posted wait is 30 minutes and they end up waiting 45; that doesn't happen in reverse. There's a lot of upside to inflating the times and little to no upside (with a lot of downside) for posting something that's actually too short.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don't think it's just at the end of the day -- they're generally inflated throughout the day. Even walk-on attractions usually post a 15-20 minute wait (we rode Little Mermaid with a 25 minute posted wait and walked through the queue and got on without ever seeing a single person in front of us).

I think your explanation is why they inflate them even more at the end of the day, but I imagine it's a guest satisfaction reason for the rest of the day. People will get annoyed and complain if the posted wait is 30 minutes and they end up waiting 45; that doesn't happen in reverse. There's a lot of upside to inflating the times and little to no upside (with a lot of downside) for posting something that's actually too short.
All that is true. I was just responding to someone who was citing extremely inflated times at park close.

In any event, if people want to get a much better idea of actual wait times, I have found over several trips that the Lines app from Touringplans is more accurate than Disney. (You have to get a subscription but it's not that expensive.) Right now it's showing Pirates at at 47 minute wait - the posted wait is 70 minutes. Peter Pan is 67 with a posted of 95. But most of the rides during the course of the day can be pretty similar to what's posted by Disney. I agree with the upside, downside thing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You don't really have to go much further past "to improve the guest experience." Whether you want to attribute that to some other factor, or not.

If "to improve the guest experience" means 1-2 hour waits mid-week in the middle of October, maybe they need to rethink things.

Current wait times:
Splash - 90
Pirates - 60
Jungle - 95
Haunted - 90
Peter Pan - 120
7DMT - 140
Space - 85
Buzz - 75
Rat - 60
FEA - 90
RNRC - 60
TSM - 65
MF:SR - 75
Rise - 105
MMRR - 60
FoP - 70
NRJ - 75

At least a dozen other rides are 40-55 minutes.

Tha Realest

If "to improve the guest experience" means 1-2 hour waits mid-week in the middle of October, maybe they need to rethink things.

Current wait times:
Splash - 90
Pirates - 60
Jungle - 95
Haunted - 90
Peter Pan - 120
7DMT - 140
Space - 85
Buzz - 75
Rat - 60
FEA - 90
RNRC - 60
TSM - 65
Rise - 105
MMRR - 60
FoP - 70
NRJ - 75

Not just middle of October - middle of the week in the middle of October.

lazyboy97o

Original Poster

Current wait times:
Splash - 90
Pirates - 60
Jungle - 95
Haunted - 90
Peter Pan - 120
7DMT - 140
Space - 85
Buzz - 75
Rat - 60
FEA - 90
RNRC - 60
TSM - 65
Rise - 105
MMRR - 60
FoP - 70
NRJ - 75

Nope. Buzz was wrong, and the Bobs are always right.

Casper Gutman

They’ve always inflated wait times, that’s true.

But when you’re charging guests huge amounts specifically to skip lines and you misrepresent those lines as being far, far longer then you know they are, what was once useful insider information begins to stink horribly of fraud.

It should be earning a LOT more outrage and action then it is.

JoeCamel

Current wait times:
Splash - 90
Pirates - 60
Jungle - 95
Haunted - 90
Peter Pan - 120
7DMT - 140
Space - 85
Buzz - 75
Rat - 60
FEA - 90
RNRC - 60
TSM - 65
Rise - 105
MMRR - 60
FoP - 70
NRJ - 75

It is national "New Friends Day" so while they are all making new friends in the parks waiting in line it is also national "Evaluate Your Life Day" so maybe Disney is in trouble if they take it to heart?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It is national "New Friends Day" so while they are all making new friends in the parks waiting in line it is also national "Evaluate Your Life Day" so maybe Disney is in trouble if they take it to heart?

Nah. Pixie dust is a helluva drug. ;)

I made new friends during my recent trip, does that count?

el_super

Wait... are you trying to suggest that letting fewer people into the park is causing higher wait times?

If you're suggesting that the number of available reservations need to be decreased, I would agree with you.

el_super

Except in doing so, they will also adjust down the staffing. It has 0 to do with giving guests better experiences.

So you are assuming if they remove the reservation caps that they would increase staffing to compensate? Or do you think the reservations are still necessary?

LSLS

So you are assuming if they remove the reservation caps that they would increase staffing to compensate? Or do you think the reservations are still necessary?
I think to eliminate caps they need to add more staff, which is why the caps are in place now.

el_super

The existing caps were supposed to allow fewer people into the parks "to improve guest experience".

Yeah but saying that the lines are an hour long doesn't really negate that does it? If the caps didn't exist wouldn't the lines be even longer?

Attraction wait times aren't really a good measure of how crowded or miserable the overall experience is either.

Dranth

Yeah but saying that the lines are an hour long doesn't really negate that does it? If the caps didn't exist wouldn't the lines be even longer?

Attraction wait times aren't really a good measure of how crowded or miserable the overall experience is either.
How crowded sure but I don't know anyone who likes waiting in line so at a minimum they contribute at least a little to the misery side.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That doesn't seem entirely accurate either. If you have Saturday free and want to go, but there are no reservations available, you don't suddenly have Monday free to visit. If you purposefully restrict entries on the busiest days... You can lose out on clicks even if your whole week is open.

Admittedly though this would have a far greater impact to spontaneous visits from locals, but by all accounts that was the group they were targeting the most for reduction.

It's that unfavorable attendance mix all over again.
It’s 100% accurate. If there isn’t full capacity at all four parks (bout never so far)…then the cap is not met. Wdw is run as a unit…not as “four one offs, and waterparks…If we feel like it…and 25 hotels…and 15,000 time share blocks…and 200 food venues…and 500 shops…and transportation network…and a zoo…and golf courses…and a sports complex…and 6 convention centers…etc etc.

Any experience in Disney parks business tells an individual that the reservations were 100% immediately a crowd control tool. Full stop. The reasoning was just slightly different this time. Disney employs - and invented many - crowd control tools everyday. Dozens. This is one too. Go where THEY want you…and you’ll do it because of the pull. Not hard here.

You really study your Econ classes…credit for that…but an English and a psych class might help you be more rounded?

el_super

How crowded sure but I don't know anyone who likes waiting in line so at a minimum they contribute at least a little to the misery side.

Yeah but it's also a give-and-take. If people are not in lines for rides, they have to be elsewhere, clogging up walkways and taking up benches.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’ve screwed yourself into the ground like a corkscrew on this Supe…

You’re reversing yourself every other post.

It’s a Disney parks crowd control…not a research paper on Friedman era currency fixing…

They are what they are…more dynamic than your experience and yet pretty obvious standard American tricks/tactics/excuses at the same time.

Congrats…you managed to see “too Much”…and “nothing at all” the same time. 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah but it's also a give-and-take. If people are not in lines for rides, they have to be elsewhere, clogging up walkways and taking up benches.
That is exactly the opposite of what fastpass, maxpass, genie is designed to do.

It is absolutely to get people out into the other areas…not the opposite. Because it generates more revenue…

Wow…rough morning?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom