2020 Hotel Choice

CaptainAmerica

The EP resorts offer a central location, direct access to two parks, and all of the World Showcase and Boardwalk dining.
This is sort of a myth. A bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Hollywood Studios is faster than a boat or walking from Beach Club. Yes, the Boardwalk resorts are extremely convenient to Epcot, but framing them as "direct access" to Hollywood Studios is a bit of an over-sell.

DISR

This is sort of a myth. A bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge to Hollywood Studios is faster than a boat or walking from Beach Club. Yes, the Boardwalk resorts are extremely convenient to Epcot, but framing them as "direct access" to Hollywood Studios is a bit of an over-sell.
I agree with this, depending on the wait for the bus. I'm thinking mainly of leaving the park after Fantasmic ends when you may have to wait for several buses until you can board. It feels good to bypass the bus lines and just be moving towards the objective....if it isn't faster progress, you at least have the illusion. I've also found the EP boat transportation is often slower than walking. I guess I don't have hard data, but given equal trips to all parks over an extended stay, I think you would spend less time in transit at the EP resorts than any others.

CaptainAmerica

I guess I don't have hard data, but given equal trips to all parks over an extended stay, I think you would spend less time in transit at the EP resorts than any others.
Yes, I believe that's true, with the caveat that you need to tack on an extra 5 to 10 minutes if you're heading for the Future World side of Epcot.

Interestingly, the least convenient resorts (in total) are the monorail resorts, since they're extremely convenient to the Magic Kingdom but logistical headaches to get to any other park.

DisneyOutsider

Yes, I believe that's true, with the caveat that you need to tack on an extra 5 to 10 minutes if you're heading for the Future World side of Epcot.

Interestingly, the least convenient resorts (in total) are the monorail resorts, since they're extremely convenient to the Magic Kingdom but logistical headaches to get to any other park.

I still contend that Poly is pretty simple and convenient to Epcot via TTC, especially from the DVC side of the resort. Sucks to have to do double bag-checks, but I believe (really hope) they're fixing this soon.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
YC/BC and Boardwalk offer the most diverse foodie options of any cluster away from Disney Springs-area hotels. Good options IN the hotels, and Epcot, plus the restaurants in the Swan/Dolphin complex mean you don't have to eat at the same place even twice during your stay.

correcaminos

Depends on how much you like walking. We walked that path to/fro DHS more than once. We like it and I'd call that direct access. If being lazy, we walk to Swan/Dolphin and hope the boat there.

Seeshark

If you're not interested in a split stay, then personally I would second what others have said and look to stay in the Epcot area. Pretty sure Boardwalk is a bit cheaper than BC, and I thought it was great there. Plus you can hit all the countries in Epcot for dinner each night too, and using the back entrance saves a lot of walking. So that's a cool easy option to have. Not sure I'd want to do two weeks in one room like that, but I get it with the kids. WL is beautiful as well, and I love the vibe there.

Indy_UK

We just booked for AKL Sept 2020 with free dining. Yes it's more buses than other transports but when we looked at Caribbean beach or Colorado Springs, it was only coming in like £100 cheaper so AKL was a no brainier.

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
We just booked for AKL Sept 2020 with free dining. Yes it's more buses than other transports but when we looked at Caribbean beach or Colorado Springs, it was only coming in like £100 cheaper so AKL was a no brainier.

That sounds like a good deal. We found the buses to be decent. In 2 weeks we had far more walk on trips then we did waits of more than 10-15 minutes. If we were feeling impatient we would get an Uber but they really weren’t expensive

Shouldigo12

How old are your two kids (sorry if this was already mentioned)? I see alot of people bringing up walking distance as a possible plus if resorts, but depending on how old your kids are they may not feel like making that walk. Depending on their pace, you may also have to add on to how long people are saying the walks are.

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
How old are your two kids (sorry if this was already mentioned)? I see alot of people bringing up walking distance as a possible plus if resorts, but depending on how old your kids are they may not feel like making that walk. Depending on their pace, you may also have to add on to how long people are saying the walks are.

Hi, the kids will be 10 & very nearly 6. Our oldest is ok at walking. To put it in perspective last time we had a late breakfast at Trattoria Al Forna, then walked to DHS for the afternoon. She then lasted till after the evening show.

Her bother may be a different story!

Because we would be there for 2 weeks none of the days tend to be too heavy. It’s often half a day either ending with, or starting with a table service meal.

I’m looking forward to the free dining coming live in a few days. Once we can see what the prices and availability are I think things will be a lot easier

Hi,

With the free dining for 2020 coming out shortly we will most likely book a holiday for August 2020. Our kids will want to got to AKL again but I’d like some advice on other options.

Though we loved AKL we found that if we were feeling lazy it was hassle to go out to a non AKL restaurant for a meal. As such the Beach Club resort appeals. We probably wouldn’t want to go above that from a price POV so it rules out other deluxe resorts.

BC is about a £1k more than AKL so tbf i’d probably want the resort to offer a significant benefit over AKL? I assume the location and pool is a significant step up?

The other option we might consider is to go in the other direction and move down to a moderate such as POFQ. I’ve heard a lot of good about this but wonder how it measures? It’s a lot cheaper than AKL which doesn’t hurt. I would necessarily rule out considering other moderates provided there were no renovations going on.

One important piece of information is that coming from the UK we’d be there for 2 weeks. Having previously done a full on 2 week trip our next one would probably have more resort time so I want to get it right.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Price up a split stay, we often do this, do the moderate first, deluxe second. Yacht/Beach club is amazing but very expensive, we did 5 days there to keep costs down, well worth experiencing for the location, theming and best pool in Disney!

SpiteriFam

Original Poster
After much debate Beach Club is now booked so thank you for the advice above.

We decided to do a week cruise immediately prior which will give a bit of variation and hopefully work well.

Now it’s just a question of putting it to the back of my mind so I’m not constantly distracted by the prospect!

nickys

Premium Member

Buses are a logistical headache? Okaaaaaay :cautious:

I don’t find the monorail to be a problem, even to Epcot. But I get that others do.

However I’m sure someone posted yesterday that they have pushed out security now at Epcot with the rework going on, so the monorail ramp now brings you out beyond it. Yay!

CaptainAmerica

Buses are a logistical headache? Okaaaaaay :cautious:

I don’t find the monorail to be a problem, even to Epcot. But I get that others do.

However I’m sure someone posted yesterday that they have pushed out security now at Epcot with the rework going on, so the monorail ramp now brings you out beyond it. Yay!
Maybe "logistical headache" was the wrong term. Convoluted roadways might be more accurate. There's no direct route to anything because you have to deal with the lagoon and the toll plaza.

DreamalittleDisney

I’m sure you know this but if you move to a moderate check which dining plan would be free, it may be the quick service plan. Not sure if that’s a consideration for you x
We stayed Wilderness Lodge last year and got the standard plan free but have just booked for 2020 and chosen CBR and paid the upgrade from QS to standard as preferred having the TS option in there .. always an option

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom