2020-Gaming discussion

Mike S

It's been frustrating. I don't have the ability to refresh all day at work. It's gonna be a pain to send the 2070 away for aweek and wait for the upgrade. but atleast i know i'm on a list and i'll get an email when its my turn.
You have to buy something else you don’t want to be put on a list to get the thing you actually want?

Am I reading this right?

Voxel

President of Progress City
You have to buy something else you don’t want to be put on a list to get the thing you actually want?

Am I reading this right?
Haha in a weird twisted way, Yes.
My current GPU failed a few weeks ago and I was hopping to get my hands on a 3080. Seeing as getting the 3080 has been harder to get than a next gen consoles, I picked up a 2070 and the brand i got has a 90 upgrade window where you can be put on a waitlist for a new or better GPU and all you have to do is pay the difference.

Underdog

I'm not sold, but I've never been a big Playstation guy. I'm just not sold on this next gen as a whole yet. If I had to decide now, I'd say series X is the best choice. Things like game pass and the backwards compatability alone give it an edge for me. But the biggest reason, is the looser effect. Xbox lost what they won with the 360 just as sony had lost what they won with ps2. You can see Microsoft is going all in and that will do nothing but benefit gamers. Generally speaking, the guy who losses steps up big time, while the winner tends to rest on their laurels.

Seems like MS agreed with you, with their purchase of Zenimax Media / Bethesda earlier this week. I wonder how Sony responds to this.

Anyone get a Series X/S pre-order?

erasure fan1

I wonder how Sony responds to to this.
I'm not real sure they are financially able to counter this move from a studio purchase standpoint. I can see them getting a smaller specialty studio. But I think they are more likely to try and buy exclusivity, at least timed exclusivity, from the big 3rd party Japanese studios. Konami, square... the usual suspects for things like metal gear, final fantasy...

It doesn't look like Microsoft is done yet either. I can see them going out and adding a Japanese studio to try and get a better foothold on that market. I would love, obviously blue skying here, Microsoft buying sega. I would love to see what a Bethesda or Obsidian could do with some of segas classic IPs. Namely a proper phantasy star sequel, an actual sequel to the master system game.

Voxel

I'm not real sure they are financially able to counter this move from a studio purchase standpoint. I can see them getting a smaller specialty studio. But I think they are more likely to try and buy exclusivity, at least timed exclusivity, from the big 3rd party Japanese studios. Konami, square... the usual suspects for things like metal gear, final fantasy...

It doesn't look like Microsoft is done yet either. I can see them going out and adding a Japanese studio to try and get a better foothold on that market. I would love, obviously blue skying here, Microsoft buying sega. I would love to see what a Bethesda or Obsidian could do with some of segas classic IPs. Namely a proper phantasy star sequel, an actual sequel to the master system game.
Sonic is already struggling, I don't wanna see Microsoft kill it more lol

erasure fan1

Sonic is already struggling, I don't wanna see Microsoft kill it more.
But isn't that the point? Sonic doesn't have to struggle. Sonic mania did great and was extremely well loved. What was the difference? It wasn't really made by sega. It was made by a group who really loved the original. Very similar to the Mandalorian. I'll be completely honest, I'm a sega fanboy at heart. I don't like how they've treated most of the back catalog. And with all the quality studios Microsoft has scooped up, it would be great for sega.

Voxel

But isn't that the point? Sonic doesn't have to struggle. Sonic mania did great and was extremely well loved. What was the difference? It wasn't really made by sega. It was made by a group who really loved the original. Very similar to the Mandalorian. I'll be completely honest, I'm a sega fanboy at heart. I don't like how they've treated most of the back catalog. And with all the quality studios Microsoft has scooped up, it would be great for sega.
So I'm a bit jaded towards Microsoft due to my career and person experience with them. To me Microsoft kills everything I like about a product when they buy it put.. Plus a bunch of other issues I won't rant on that bothers me about Microsoft.

The problem I see is microsoft doesn't care about it's already OLD great IPs, or atleast they haven't acted like it. They have Rare, and what has rare done since the buyout. I'm looking at you Banjo.

I think the interesting questions is why would Sega risk it esp from the JRPG and Japanese game front. They have a "guaranteed" market they could potentially shrink domestic sales by a moving solely to the Microsoft platform. I'm honestly not sure that a Japanese studio is enough to make a dominating move into the Japanese Market... If Microsoft was gonna make that move I feel like they would have tried to undermine Sony before the PS5 Japan Pre-order. But who knows Stranger things have happened.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So I'm a bit jaded towards Microsoft due to my career and person experience with them. To me Microsoft kills everything I like about a product when they buy it put.. Plus a bunch of other issues I won't rant on that bothers me about Microsoft.

The problem I see is microsoft doesn't care about it's already OLD great IPs, or atleast they haven't acted like it. They have Rare, and what has rare done since the buyout. I'm looking at you Banjo.

I think the interesting questions is why would Sega risk it esp from the JRPG and Japanese game front. They have a "guaranteed" market they could potentially shrink domestic sales by a moving solely to the Microsoft platform. I'm honestly not sure that a Japanese studio is enough to make a dominating move into the Japanese Market... If Microsoft was gonna make that move I feel like they would have tried to undermine Sony before the PS5 Japan Pre-order. But who knows Stranger things have happened.
Sea of Thieves.

Not exactly my cup of tea, but it is a pretty successful title. It being on Game Pass was a big key to its success which would not have happened if MS did not own Rare.

erasure fan1

I think the interesting questions is why would Sega risk it esp from the JRPG and Japanese game front. They have a "guaranteed" market they have the potential have shrinking domestic sales buy a moving solely to the Microsoft platform. I'm honestly not sure that a Japanese studio is enough to make a dominating move into the Japanese Market... If Microsoft was gonna make that move I feel like they would have tried to undermine Sony before the PS5 Japan Pre-order. But who knows Stranger things have happened.
Yea Microsoft hasn't really done much this last gen with its own IPs. But I feel like that is why they have gone out and purchased all these studios. There is no other way to put it except Microsoft gave up on this last gen from a 1st party game standpoint. Instead of fast tracking a bunch of games they decided on getting content. Not to dissimilar to Disney. And like Disneys insistence on trying to make star wars popular in china. Microsoft is the same way with xbox in japan. And sega would be a good attempt. Would it work? Probably not, the Japanese Market isn't too found of outsiders. But if Sega won't do anything with thier IPs, I'll take my chances with Microsoft. Worst case, they still do nothing.

Voxel

Yea Microsoft hasn't really done much this last gen with its own IPs. But I feel like that is why they have gone out and purchased all these studios. There is no other way to put it except Microsoft gave up on this last gen from a 1st party game standpoint. Instead of fast tracking a bunch of games they decided on getting content. Not to dissimilar to Disney. And like Disneys insistence on trying to make star wars popular in china. Microsoft is the same way with xbox in japan. And sega would be a good attempt. Would it work? Probably not, the Japanese Market isn't too found of outsiders. But if Sega won't do anything with thier IPs, I'll take my chances with Microsoft. Worst case, they still do nothing.
Fair enough, though I do find it funny that sonic is really the only Popular Sega IP that is struggling. Persona, SMT, Yakuza, heck even Sakura wars is seeing the day of light. Why can't they figure out Sonic lol.

erasure fan1

Fair enough, though I do find it funny that sonic is really the only Popular Sega IP that is struggling. Persona, SMT, Yakuza, heck even Sakura wars is seeing the day of light. Why can't they figure out Sonic lol.
That's the question. Part of it, sonic is hard to translate to 3D with the speed. It gets wonky and frustrating. That doesn't mean it can't be done. It just can't be done by sega obviously. Lol

Underdog

If this is *woke* Microsoft, then they know they can pull some of the same 'tricks' as well. The question is whether or not the major studios & publishers do this without asking for significant money. Microsoft has the funds to do this much longer than Sony, but Sony is viewed as the 'leader' which is probably more appealing so some studios / developers / publishers.

I think MS is determined to 'not lose' as bad this time around but also make moves for the future too. The next 1-3-5 years will be interesting. Especially with the new Nvidia advances and how Nintendo might leverage them in their next console.

Voxel

If this is *woke* Microsoft, then they know they can pull some of the same 'tricks' as well. The question is whether or not the major studios & publishers do this without asking for significant money. Microsoft has the funds to do this much longer than Sony, but Sony is viewed as the 'leader' which is probably more appealing so some studios / developers / publishers.

I think MS is determined to 'not lose' as bad this time around but also make moves for the future too. The next 1-3-5 years will be interesting. Especially with the new Nvidia advances and how Nintendo might leverage them in their next console.
IF those job listings were accurate and Nvidia was looking to implement DLSS on it's Tegra line, Nintendo could continue to be great shape to compete.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom