2020-Gaming discussion

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Sadly Blizzard is not Blizzard anymore... They are owned by Activision and probably receiving the same treatment that EA gives Bioware.

Sadly, this is correct.

Blizz isn't the same Blizz I gamed with when they first started, it was nerd gamers making games for other nerd gamers, and the quality of the games was the best in the industry. I'm getting the sinking feeling Overwatch will be the last "great" game Blizzard ever makes. All the great developers and minds jumped ship and now the company is stuck with Activision clowns pulling the strings.

I stopped playing WoW months ago for Final Fantasy 14, simply put, its a better game. For me to say that after all the years I put into WoW is humbling. And honestly, I don't know if I'll go back. WoW is stale. Overwatch is getting there. Hearthstone is Blizzards best game at the moment but I can only play that in chunks, I can't devote myself to it and if you don't you get left behind.

Diablo Immortal?

If its truly a Diablo game but on a phone sure. If it's made for microtransactions, and since they did not disclose if it will have them or not at Blizzcon, I have to assume it will, then no.

Am I done with Blizzard? Nope. As long as they stand by their tried and true mantra of not releasing games until the are fun, if they still hold to that standard. The second they shuffle that away....

I'm outta there.

Mike S

Well Battlefield V seems to have flopped according to the news of a 50% sales drop in the UK from BF1 and sales of 50% off in the U.S. I guess calling your customers uneducated and telling them not to buy your game isn’t a smart business move. Who knew? ;)

Really hope we see EA become the next THQ and their franchises and studios find better homes. This has been a long time coming.

Jahona

I was reading that the 50% sales drop was in physical sales and that digital copies of the game were higher than the previous titles?

Honestly it's not in a totally great shape of a game right now. I'm having a lot of fun with it but there is going to need to be a lot of bug and balance fixes going forward. Hopefully the December 4th patch starts paving the way for that. It also doesn't help that they tried to be a little different with BF5 in the settings of the game they chose to launch. Problem is not many people care about those locations. They want to relive Saving Private Ryan or any other Major WW2 landmark battle.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I'm finally jumping on to the PS4 train now. I know the system has less than 2 years left of relevancy, but there are a ton of games I missed out on that I want to play.

erasure fan1

Anyone looking forward to the next Dragon Age? The teaser wasn't much but I'm thinking they are pretty far along so something mor substantial might be coming sooner rather than later.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Looking through my collection of games yesterday made me think about games gone past and how many great games I've played, from the Commodore 64 up to my modern PC.

The first great game I ever played probably had to be Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System. That was the first great one. Nothing at the time compared to it. At the time I think the only real RPG the NES had was the Ultima 3 remake, which was itself a good game, but compared to Phantasy Star it looked like a fan made game. The sad thing is, none of the other Phantasy Star games were no where near as good as the first. Personally I think it was the 3-d dungeons that made it and they never came back.

Speaking of Ultima, shortly after experiencing Phantasy Star and the whole RPG genre, I purchased Ultima 4 for the C64. First off the graphic were completely terrible compared to Phantasy Star, but the game play was not. In fact Ultima 4 will always be cherished to me as the first game that went above and beyond the whole kill the bad guy rescue the princess motif standard in most games, even to this day. While I doubt I could sit through any kind of Ultima 4 remake this day and age, those block graphic of the original continue to warm my heart when I see them floating around the internet. The whole Ultima series should be played by all. Its funny how all these new RPG's have shock story elements, I don't think people know Ultima did most of them first. Important character dying? Ultima did it first. Bad guys really being the good guys? Another Ultima first. ALL RPG's owe a nod to the Ultima series. I also highly recommend Ultima 7 complete.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater is another title I go back to when people ask me my all time favorites. I enjoy the whole Metal Gear series, I own and have played them all but the crowning achievement in the series for me is Snake Eater. That ending, I'll never forget that ending. Or the incredible characters, especially The Boss.

Witcher 3. Hands down probably the best game I ever played. Best story, best graphics, best game play. Funny thing is among the online gaming community this is the one game just about everyone can agree upon that its the new standard of what a action RPG should be. Witcher, the first game is terrible. Witcher 2 is a huge improvement but not quite there, Witcher 3 got it right in all aspects. You will buy at least a GTX 1070 just to play this one in over 120fps, plus you owe it to yourself to do so. You will never forget Geralt of Rivia.

World of Warcraft. I know I mentioned this through the roof in the past but this game defined me for ten years. I remember blowing off my job and staying home "sick" when new raids came out just so I caould try to get server first achievements. Those were good times. Sadly the game hasn't aged well for me personally and I no longer subscribe. Once the latest expansion is complete maybe I'll resub and play through the story but those long nights of raid boss fights and wiping time after time just to figure out their pattern, nah I can't do it. This is the one game I feel Youtube killed by letting people show the boss strategies and how to beat the bosses. It used to be fun figuring things out with guildies, now you don't have to.

I have more games I fondly remember, Civilization 4, the Dragon Age series, Dragon Quest series, Final Fantasy series for starters, but when people ask me my favorite games of all time, the ones I mentioned in detail here are the ones I usually bring up.

erasure fan1

The first great game I ever played probably had to be Phantasy Star on the Sega Master System. That was the first great one. Nothing at the time compared to it. At the time I think the only real RPG the NES had was the Ultima 3 remake, which was itself a good game, but compared to Phantasy Star it looked like a fan made game. The sad thing is, none of the other Phantasy Star games were no where near as good as the first. Personally I think it was the 3-d dungeons that made it and they never came back.
I couldn't agree more about phantasy star. For me, if you take what phantasy star did when it came out, it is still one of the greatest rpgs ever made. It is a shame that sega abandoned the single player style of the first game. I can never say enough good things about the game. It's just too bad the industry as a whole doesn't give the original the spotlight it deserves. The $80 I spent when the game released on the SMS set me back a lot, but it was well worth it.
Witcher 3. Hands down probably the best game I ever played. Best story, best graphics, best game play. Funny thing is among the online gaming community this is the one game just about everyone can agree upon that its the new standard of what a action RPG should be.
Again agree whole heartedly. Witcher 3 is by far the best game of this generation so far in my eyes. It gives me high hopes for cyberpunk 2077. When a game has side quests that are better than most games main quests, you know it's a winner.

Sharon&Susan

Without spoiling too much what is that like? Are there any “levels” like in Brawl’s story mode?
I’d describe it more like the Event Mode with a large focus on the spirits (which are like the Stickers from Brawl with an RPG leveling system and Tamagotchi-like elements). Most of the fights are with spirits, that recreate an element of that character (Bomberman being a Link who favors down specials, Snorlax being King K Rools who will just stand there in a stamina battle, etc.). The spirit will join you after you have defeated it, which you can equip to help it help you in battle. Certain Spirits can also affect the world you travel (Kapp’n lending you his boat, etc.). There are no side scrolling sections in World of Light (at least what I’ve seen so far),

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom