2020-Gaming discussion

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Going through all the fluff and filler, so far the only game I've seen that I have to play right now is Far Cry 5.

Totally embarrassed for Bethesda to roll out paid mods and actually have a presentation for that at something like E3. That decision is haunting them on the game boards. Throw in Skyrim for the Switch, like everyone who is everyone has already played it already, 30 million sales, how can anyone get excited for a six year old game?

Speaking of Switch, bummed out at third party support, nothing jumps out as a must buy, didn't announce the new Dragon Quest yet which is supposed to be launched on the PS4 and Switch.

Nintendo's big announcement was obviously Super Mario Odyssey, which of course should be amazing. Metroid Prime 4, I'm going to have a wait and see, everything looks great on paper but its a new developer and really hope they go back to the great 2d platformers than the 3rd person crap the series has become. Zelda DLC will be crap compared to The Witcher 3 DLC which had stories better than most AAA games made with huge budgets so meh.

EA dropped the new Star Wars Battlefront, hopefully they can keep the cheaters off online play or I'll wait until its on sale for 10 bucks.

Game of E3 so far Far Cry 5 hands down.
Worst of E3, Bethesda.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Nearly everything Nintendo has announced today has been pure gold. Two new Metroid games! A main series Pokémon game in development for switch! A new Kirby game! A new Yoshi game! Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga remake! Not to mention how incredible Super Mario Odyssey looks so far. I'm definitely excited to see the Mario series return to the 3D collect-at-hon style.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Totally turned out by all the remakes, repackaging and reimagining of older titles being spotlighted and thrown to the public instead of new ideas and new properties. Terrible trend developing.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Remakes have been going on since the 90s or earlier. It just hasn't been as prevalent as it has been in the last few years.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm very excited to see if Ubisoft can pull off Skull & Bones. For Honor has been pretty rocky but it shows they're at least willing to think outside the box.

Jahona

For me the top presentations were Microsoft and Ubisoft. EA was a disaster, Bethesdaland was cute but besides Wolfenstien they didn't show to much. Sony started off rather interesting but became a trailer fest devoid of soul.

I've enjoyed playing World of Warships and can't wait to try out Skull and Bones. Sea of Thieves looks pretty fun as well. The trailer was catered to the crowd and the voice over was cheesy but man did I like it. Besides Far Cry Primal I've enjoyed the previous iterations in the game and will probably be picking up 5 as well. Rabids+Mario+Xcom looks somewhat promising. I'm kind of interested in it and I'm not a turn based strategy fan. Shadow of War looks like a promising sequel to the original. Anthem seems to be getting more buzz then Destiny 2. It also looks like, from the previews, that Bioware got facial animation right this time. Metro Exodus was a surprise. I'm about to play through the previous ones as it's been a while. Also man did the Ori and the Will of the Wisps trailer look beautiful.

Microsoft releasing original Xbox games on current gen is exciting. Can't wait to pick up Crimson Skies.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
Even with all the bluster from the big hitters Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo, the universal opinion around the gaming community is Ubisoft of all people won this years E3, and I personally have to agree.

that Bioware got facial animation right this time...

ME Andromeda got a lot of flack but dam its still a really good game once you get past the funky faces. I've got almost 100 hours into it, once it gets going its good gaming and very epic. Makes me wonder how far all the "reviewers" who killed the game truly got.

The_Jobu

ME Andromeda got a lot of flack but dam its still a really good game once you get past the funky faces. I've got almost 100 hours into it, once it gets going its good gaming and very epic. Makes me wonder how far all the "reviewers" who killed the game truly got.

I think it's 75-ish aggregate score is pretty fair. The combat's slick, but the story, characters and technical polish are lacking compared to the original trilogy. I think it's obvious it was made by the B-team.

Though I still think putting the franchise on the shelf was a dumb thing to do. It's like EA "took their ball and went home" when they really should have doubled down and put out a great follow up after Anthem is released.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I didn't even know this thread existed lol, and with that being said I'm hyped for the original Xbox games to be added to the One. Also Forza 7 is on my list as well cause I love racing games.

The_Jobu

I didn't want to start a new thread because of this, but I am chuffed to bits about the 3 new games Telltale just announced.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It's funny too that they had said no Wolf Among Us 2 for a while then dropped that. I do think it's too soon for a 2nd season of Batman as that just ended a while ago.

The_Jobu

It's funny too that they had said no Wolf Among Us 2 for a while then dropped that. I do think it's too soon for a 2nd season of Batman as that just ended a while ago.

When I saw the news article I thought it was a new Batman game, never thought Telltale would crank out a sequel so quickly.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
I didn't want to start a new thread because of this, but I am chuffed to bits about the 3 new games Telltale just announced.

I like Telltale games, but after they start making sequels the quality starts to drop significantly.

Also of note Nintendo just filed a European patent for a N64 classic, looks like we will get one of those as well. I'm still trying to unload 3 NES classics I'm selling for absurd prices.:(

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Pokémon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are coming out on Friday, and even as a die-hard fan of the series, I'm not very excited for them at all. I already disliked the first games of the generation, and from what I've seen so far USUM will just be more of the same but with even more pandering to Genwunners. I'm going to get Ultra Moon anyway just to see if it will change my opinion of the 7th generation, but I doubt it will.

On another note, I've been loving Super Mario Odyssey. It's exactly the kind of Mario game I'd been waiting for since Sunshine. I know it's a popular opinion, but I definitely put it in the top 3 games of 2017 along with Breath of the Wild and Persona 5.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I've only played Mega Man 2, and that was on Wii U VC. Although now I'm interested in picking up either MM11, the X collection or both

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
The Game Awards were last night and here are the results

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ver-here-39-s-what-won-and-what-happened.aspx

Trending Gamer - Dr. Disrespect (PlayerUnknown's Battleground Streamer)
Best Score/Music - Nier Automata (PlayStation 4, PC)
Best Mobile Game - Monument valley 2 (iOS, Android)
Best Sports/Racing Game - Forza Motorsports 7 (Xbox One, PC)
Best VR/AR Game - Reisident Evil 7: BIOHAZARD (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
Best Handheld Game - Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Best Narrative - What Remains of Edith Finch (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
Best Action Game - Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
Best Art Direction - Cuphead (Xbox One, PC)

Industry Icon Award - Carol Shaw
Best RPG - Persona 5 (PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4)
Best Strategy Game - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (Switch)
Most Anticipated Game - The Last of Us Part II (PlayStation 4)
Best Family Game - Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Best Debut Indie Game - Cuphead (Xbox One, PC)
Best Ongoing Game - Overwatch (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
Best Esports Game - Overwatch (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
Best Esports Player - Faker

Best Audio Design: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PlayStation 4, PC)
Best Student Game - Level-Squared
Games For Impact - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PlayStation 4, PC)
Best Performance - Melina Juergens for Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PlayStation 4, PC)
Best Fighting Game - Injustice 2 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
Best Game Direction - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Best Action Adventure - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Game of the Year - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
As it should have, Zelda won big.

I'm happy that Persona 5 won best RPG, but at the same time why didn't it win best music?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom