2019 is the perfect era for an EPCOT revival

misfitdoll

Original Poster
I cannot stop thinking about EPCOT and how badly misunderstood it is. I've listened to others try to put the park into words, and they are usually missing the point because the original intent of the park has been butchered so badly over time, but I believe it is a message that would resonate deeply if restored.

Humanity can and should break out of the destructive tiny little boxes our 2019-era society has created. People are willingly, unwittingly imprisoning themselves on social media that force people to think small, and in pithy click-baity, retweetable moments. Tiny little white noise thoughts are being frantically sent into the digital ether-- and all of this tiny nonsense is siphoning off human energy that could be used *productively*. We have more tools to DO cool stuff than ever before, yet humans are spinning in circles and staring at screens.

EPCOT is an exploration in how big life on Earth really is. It's almost a mini-model of the world. It is a gentle reminder to us all of how much there is to do and learn; how many cultures and foods and ideas and POTENTIAL are out there, waiting for us to discover and understand them and apply them to our inner model of the world. These are concepts that can soften, enlighten, and inspire guests to use their imaginations (cough cough) to create new, better things. Our Parks/Products/Plastics Chairman says they want things to be more Disney? This IS Disney. This is the actual magic.

It is comforting and hopeful to be reminded that life is a big thing. Go rewatch the opening day speech, and think in terms of the 2019 lens. I understand that technology moved so fast, almost too fast, and that the birth of the internet made EPCOT seem antiquated. What if it was actually ahead of its time?

From a business perspective, this could be a gold mine if appropriately harnessed. If the leadership really understood the park and its potential they could market it like crazy. The 1980s and 90s are massively on-trend right now, and the children of Epcot Center are now your moms and dads booking Disney trips. The current thing they are trying to force in Future World is going to ruin the park. Rebrand it back to what it was and give it a clever conceptual hashtag if you must, Disney, and just see what happens. If we can dream it, we can do it-- now more than ever.

(Edited for grammar)

Last edited:

Lilofan

I cannot stop thinking about EPCOT and how badly misunderstood it is. I've listened to others try to put the park into words, and they are usually missing the point because the original intent of the park has been butchered so badly over time, but I believe it is a message that would resonate deeply if restored.

Humanity can and should break out of the destructive tiny little boxes our 2019-era society has created. People are willingly, unwittingly imprisoning themselves on social media that force people to think small, and in pithy click-baity, retweetable moments. Tiny little white noise thoughts are being frantically sent into the digital ether-- and all of this tiny nonsense is siphoning off human energy that could be used *productively*. We have more tools to DO cool stuff than ever before, yet humans are spinning in circles and staring at screens.

EPCOT is an exploration in how big life on Earth really is. It's almost a mini-model of the world. It is a gentle reminder to us all of how much there is to do and learn; how many cultures and foods and ideas and POTENTIAL are out there, waiting for us to discover and understand them and apply them to our inner model of the world. These are concepts that can soften, enlighten, and inspire guests to use their imaginations (cough cough) to create new, better things. Our Parks/Products/Plastics Chairman says they want things to be more Disney? This IS Disney. This is the actual magic.

It is comforting and hopeful to be reminded that life is a big thing. Go rewatch the opening day speech, and think in terms of the 2019 lens. I understand that technology moved so fast, almost too fast, and that the birth of the internet made EPCOT seem antiquated. What if it was actually ahead of its time?

From a business perspective, this could be a gold mine if appropriately harnessed. If the leadership really understood the park and its potential they could market it like crazy. The 1980s and 90s are massively on-trend right now, and the children of Epcot Center are now your moms and dads booking Disney trips. The current thing they are trying to force in Future World is going to ruin the park. Rebrand it back to what it was and give it a clever conceptual hashtag if you must, Disney, and just see what happens. If we can dream it, we can do it-- now more than ever.

(Edited for grammar)
One of the trends in Epcot is more food and wine, more food and wine, year after year.

sedati

If you’re laughing, you don’t get it. EPCOT has the most potential to be a DisneySEA-like park that outdoes the castle park. I just wish there were visionaries in charge.
DisneySea- a hugely ambitious park I dream of visiting, but one that was apparantly saved by sausage buns and teddy bears. What have they been adding there since opening? Starts with an "I" ends with a "P."

DanielBB8

Epcot suffers from a lack of rides and the lack of updating the public spaces. Anything they might want to attach to it's central message is passe at this point. It must win the war on attendance as the first priority. The current messaging with what we've seen from their plans harkens back to the past with some updating, but it seems like it was damage control to not get blowback from old fans. They succeeded. Nonetheless, they still need more ride announcements.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Well from the amount of framing I observed the filling dumpsters with from what was Innovations East,Trees they have chopped down behind the Photoshop you're shouting into the wind as that ship has sailed. Those little blinking boxes everyone is staring into have a larger market share.

KevinPage

This is all well and good but the way Disney management is these days (headed by Chapek overseeing the parks), the best we can hope for is that they don’t do irreputable damage. Wishing for more is just folly (unfortunately) 😎

Admiral01

Premium Member
DisneySea- a hugely ambitious park I dream of visiting, but one that was apparantly saved by sausage buns and teddy bears. What have they been adding there since opening? Starts with an "I" ends with a "P."

The IP at Tokyo DisneySea is well integrated, though. The park doesn’t need lazily added IPs, and while I greatly enjoy the sausage buns, the park didn’t need it to become incredible park it is. And the properties they chose to integrate fit within the theme. Even adding Nemo (the fish) to Port Discovery and the coming Frozen Land (which is augmenting the current park not replacing anything), the IPs used at TDS fit. IP should not detract from a park’s theming, like it does at EPCOT. The IP additions are EPCOT are lazy additions.

DisneySea is an incredible park, with some incredible attractions. I’ve spent at least a days at TDS in my four trips to Japan since 2014 and look forward to the next visit.

Steph15251

Epcot suffers from a lack of rides and the lack of updating the public spaces. Anything they might want to attach to it's central message is passe at this point. It must win the war on attendance as the first priority. The current messaging with what we've seen from their plans harkens back to the past with some updating, but it seems like it was damage control to not get blowback from old fans. They succeeded. Nonetheless, they still need more ride announcements.
for me they just need more attractions it does not need to be all rides .

RSoxNo1

The IP at Tokyo DisneySea is well integrated, though. The park doesn’t need lazily added IPs, and while I greatly enjoy the sausage buns, the park didn’t need it to become incredible park it is. And the properties they chose to integrate fit within the theme. Even adding Nemo (the fish) to Port Discovery and the coming Frozen Land (which is augmenting the current park not replacing anything), the IPs used at TDS fit. IP should not detract from a park’s theming, like it does at EPCOT. The IP additions are EPCOT are lazy additions.

DisneySea is an incredible park, with some incredible attractions. I’ve spent at least a days at TDS in my four trips to Japan since 2014 and look forward to the next visit.
I'd argue that it was at the outset, but Nemo and Toy Story may be diluting the surrounding areas. That's the biggest risk in putting characters in areas that were previously not character heavy.

FigmentJedi

SeaRider's the weirdest and most awkward escalation of Imagineering's whole "Let's awkwardly try and turn this talking fish movie into a science fiction franchise" fixation though.
tumblr_pmo4haaJu01sa3t1go1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Admiral01

Premium Member
I'd argue that it was at the outset, but Nemo and Toy Story may be diluting the surrounding areas. That's the biggest risk in putting characters in areas that were previously not character heavy.

I do agree with you on this. Toy Story hadn’t bothered me because it was tucked away past the ToT in New York Harbor. I dislike the Nemo addition because it replaced the cool StormRider, and was really unnecessary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom