News 2018 ticket price increases

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'm seeing rumblings on #DisTwitter about next month? Thoughts? I'm planning a November trip and I want to make sure I put my deposit down before they jack up the prices again.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
I agree, safer to buy tickets (or deposit on a package) now if you have the funds. If not, I would hope it's not a drastic increase in ticket price (and it shouldn't be). Hopefully only a couple of dollars per day.

By past experience, the increase was overnight Saturday into Sunday morning. I do expect it soon, just wonder if it will be overnight this Saturday/Sunday (early) or overnight next Saturday/Sunday.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Has Disney tended to increase the meal plan costs at the same time as tickets? Thanks.

Dining prices go up when the next year's plan is introduced, so typically later in the calendar year than ticket price increases.

Until attendance starts waning, there's little incentive for Disney to reduce the price. With the ever increasing cost of a Disney vacation, I don't think I'm going to be going down as much as I had in the past. I locked in my tickets and plans so for 2018 I'm ok

TWDC is on record as wanting higher ticket prices to lower attendance. A ticket price reduction is highly, highly unlikely. Ever.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I predict Feb this year, Feb next year, and then another one right before SWL opens. Not happy about it, but my AP renews in January so there's that. haha

My gut tells me:

- There will be a healthy increase in ticket prices this year, and a gluttonous ticket price increase next year. They will undoubtedly raise ticket prices prior to guests being able to book for the anticipated opening of SW:GE, so we could see 2 or 3 ticket price increases before then.
- Prices for Annual Passes are going to jump even more than 1-10 day park passes in the same time frame.
- Current "peak" pricing could be extended to all 4 theme parks
- "Peak" ticket prices could meet or exceed $150/day within 2 years

Just imagine a late 2019/early 2020 Walt Disney World commercial:

"You just took out a second mortgage on your house, what are you going to do next?"

"I'm going to Disney World!!!"

:mad:

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
If i book a package with a 10-day park hopper, before the price increase, and then upgrade to an AP *after* the increase - I pay the higher AP rate, right?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Dining prices go up when the next year's plan is introduced, so typically later in the calendar year than ticket price increases.

TWDC is on record as wanting higher ticket prices to lower attendance. A ticket price reduction is highly, highly unlikely. Ever.
If the economy tanks at any point, they'll offer discounts for limited time periods rather than lower the prices (similar to the Kohl's model). That way they don't have to lower prices, and can offer discounts until the economy rebounds.

matt9112

I'm amazed they haven't curtailed the amount of days that get multi day discount. they still do 14 day tickets for overseas guests. change it to buy 7 day max and than you essentially start over so the raw value is far less but profit margin is far better. easy way to bank.

DisneyJoe

I'm amazed they haven't curtailed the amount of days that get multi day discount. they still do 14 day tickets for overseas guests. change it to buy 7 day max and than you essentially start over so the raw value is far less but profit margin is far better. easy way to bank.
Many UK and other overseas guests typically vacation in Central Florida for 14-21 days - Disney wants to keep them on property where guest spending is much more profitable than ticket profit.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Until attendance starts waning, there's little incentive for Disney to reduce the price. With the ever increasing cost of a Disney vacation, I don't think I'm going to be going down as much as I had in the past. I locked in my tickets and plans so for 2018 I'm ok

Is there any evidence that attendance has increased so much that they need to take this pricing strategy? If anything anecdotal evidence suggests an overall attendance decline during peak times. Hotel room occupancies (non dvc) are down and guest spending is down. I know @ParentsOf4 had some numbers to correlate this and can probably speak better than I can about it. My thinking is that Disney is simply trying to compensate for lower attendance by charging more and cutting back park hours and entertainment and adding more upcharge events just to maintain the bottom line.

Brad Bishop

I don't think that they've ever reduced prices. The best you get is, "not increase as much". Maybe there was a year or two in there where they stayed put on prices. Someone with more info can fill us in.

They may offer discounts on hotels and food to get people in the doors but ticket prices always go up.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
My AP renews on Feb. 11 - prices went up on Feb. 12 of last year. I remember because we almost waited until Sunday to buy but snuck over to MK the night before our check in to upgrade our base tickets. Glad we did. Hopefully I’ll have my tax refund approved so I can get ours renewed before the increase.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don't think that they've ever reduced prices. The best you get is, "not increase as much". Maybe there was a year or two in there where they stayed put on prices. Someone with more info can fill us in.

They may offer discounts on hotels and food to get people in the doors but ticket prices always go up.

I went back to 1981 and single day ticket prices have increased at least once a year every year with the exception of 1988, when there was no increase in ticket prices. No ticket price decreases in the past 36 years. In 1986, single day tickets increased 3 times (!).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom