2018 Star Wars Light Side Half Marathon

Texas84

A friend of mine has already registered for the 2018 Dark Side Half Marathon with the intention of also doing the Light Side to complete the combo run. (Kessel Run?)

If for some reason the rumors are true and they decide to cancel to Light Side, will they refund or at least transfer his Dark Side registration to another WDW race? He did the 2017 Dark Side and would rather run a different race if the Light/Dark combo won't be available.

-Rob

Refund? No.

Texas84

Just posted on Active. Hmmm...
funls.jpg

Didn't see a date. Might be old.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Rumor on that other website is that runDisney will cancel all races at DLR for the next year or two due to construction of SW Land, the new resort, Marvel Land in DCA and the eastern gateway project. To be announced sometime this week.

Last edited:

RunningKoen

Rumor on that other website is that runDisney will cancel all races at DLR for the next year or two due to construction of SW Land, the new resort, Marvel Land in DCA and the eastern gateway project. To be announced sometime this week.

If this is true, runDisney will have a terrible month PR-wise.
Even besides from discussing if these are valid reasons to cancel all West Coast races including the three challenges (C2C, C2C pink & Kessel Run), it will be a tremendous impact on runDisney: both financially but more important; their PR.

runDisney itself cannot be blaimed for these constructions. However, they can be blaimed for their terrible communication surrounding it. The projects have been known for quite a while, and I'm very interested how they will coop with the aftermath of such a announcement.

So, again if this is true, we have the cancelling of the races itself, combined with runDisney's (lack of) communication, filled up with insecurities surrounding legacy status & compensations for Light Side, and to top it off people who might wanna cancel their WDW races when there are no C2C challenges possible.

I'll get some popcorn and have my social media feeds ready for a lot of people willing to lynch some runDisney webcare people.
Edit: announcing it this week would be before the W&D + Avengers weekends. Not only their social media will have angry mobs ...

LAKid53

Premium Member
If this is true, runDisney will have a terrible month PR-wise.
Even besides from discussing if these are valid reasons to cancel all West Coast races including the three challenges (C2C, C2C pink & Kessel Run), it will be a tremendous impact on runDisney: both financially but more important; their PR.

runDisney itself cannot be blaimed for these constructions. However, they can be blaimed for their terrible communication surrounding it. The projects have been known for quite a while, and I'm very interested how they will coop with the aftermath of such a announcement.

So, again if this is true, we have the cancelling of the races itself, combined with runDisney's (lack of) communication, filled up with insecurities surrounding legacy status & compensations for Light Side, and to top it off people who might wanna cancel their WDW races when there are no C2C challenges possible.

I'll get some popcorn and have my social media feeds ready for a lot of people willing to lynch some runDisney webcare people.
Edit: announcing it this week would be before the W&D + Avengers weekends. Not only their social media will have angry mobs ...

The Light Side Half is 3 months away - and registration has been on hold for 7 months. Dates for Tinkerbell still list 2017. Same with the DLR Half.

With the current and future construction projects, race courses will probably change. I've read that there may be issues with the City of Anaheim in getting permits. Those of us who run races at WDW are spoiled in this instance, since all those races are run on Disney property. I would imagine that a significant part of the race course for halfs at DLR are run on city streets.

I agree, though, that rD is going to have a significant PR problem, no matter what they do. Their silence at both Tinkerbell and the DLR Half is deafening. And feeding the rumor mill. And if nothing is said after either the W&D or Super Hero weekends, the pitchforks may come out.

Don't even want to think about C2C or Legacy.....

RunningKoen

With the current and future construction projects, race courses will probably change. I've read that there may be issues with the City of Anaheim in getting permits. Those of us who run races at WDW are spoiled in this instance, since all those races are run on Disney property. I would imagine that a significant part of the race course for halfs at DLR are run on city streets.

Discussing cancelling the races is probably the easiest things; these are good and logical reasons to do so. Not likeable, but understandable.

The Light Side Half is 3 months away - and registration has been on hold for 7 months. Dates for Tinkerbell still list 2017. Same with the DLR Half.

I agree, though, that rD is going to have a significant PR problem, no matter what they do. Their silence at both Tinkerbell and the DLR Half is deafening. And feeding the rumor mill. And if nothing is said after either the W&D or Super Hero weekends, the pitchforks may come out.

Don't even want to think about C2C or Legacy.....

Their silence is the first and most important fault, and there's way more to discuss about that. And thats what will upset most people. The proces of Light Side (pre registration).

Btw, it might be wise to book Paris '18 early. There might be lots of more americans running when Paris is the only other option to do rD besides WDW. I'm definitely booking tonight before the prices rise.

LAKid53

Premium Member

LAKid53

Premium Member
Discussing cancelling the races is probably the easiest things; these are good and logical reasons to do so. Not likeable, but understandable.

Their silence is the first and most important fault, and there's way more to discuss about that. And thats what will upset most people. The proces of Light Side (pre registration).

Btw, it might be wise to book Paris '18 early. There might be lots of more americans running when Paris is the only other option to do rD besides WDW. I'm definitely booking tonight before the prices rise.

Travel, i.e., hotel and transportation? Didn't think registration was open, since race was a fee weeks ago.

Waiting for @Swissmiss to start gently reminding me, lol. ;)

RunningKoen

Paris 2018 has been confirmed before 2017 finished; you were able to book at the expo. Package deals went on sale 2/3 days after, before the photos were released. I might have the same issues are some pre-registrations at Light Side if they cancel Paris aswell

@LAKid53 with no west coast races, use the french chateau! I'll want you there aswell and have 11 months left to (gently) remind you aswell ;-)

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - I'd love to have you come and do DLP but I am not one to pour salt in someone's wound so I was choosing NOT to remind you (gentle or otherwise). I know you had been looking forward to participating in the Light Side (didn't you already book your train trip out West?) and it didn't seem like good sportsmanship to remind you of it. That being said, if you want to come over ... ;)

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 - I'd love to have you come and do DLP but I am not one to pour salt in someone's wound so I was choosing NOT to remind you (gentle or otherwise). I know you had been looking forward to participating in the Light Side (didn't you already book your train trip out West?) and it didn't seem like good sportsmanship to remind you of it. That being said, if you want to come over ... ;)

I'm beginning to think the Light Side won't be happening. Wasn't aware of the local politics until I read some of the comments on the thread @Texas84 provided a link to. If it comes down to Disney getting the necessary permits for the planned projects vs permits to run races on Anaheim streets next year, I think we all know what Disney will prioritize. And it looks like a few Anaheim (and probably Orange County) politicians have an axe to grind....

Many of us live in the WDW bubble....where RCID is Disney (and the FL Legislature more than happy to give TWDC what they ask for).

LAKid53

Premium Member
@Swissmiss, if I do DLP Half next year, I'm thinking of flying VA into Heathrow and taking the Chunnel. Haven't been overseas since 1972..I'm sure things have changed in 45 years...

Edited - I'm not "racing" the Chunnel, lol. Stupid phone autocorrect....

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Coming by Chunnel from London is a really convenient way to get to DLP - even if there is unlikely to be a direct Eurostar option (I think it only runs during school holidays) the change in Lille to a TGV is quick and easy. I nearly always take the Chunnel when I go to London.

RunningKoen

@LAKid53 you mentioned that runDisney will do the announcement this week. Are you or that source sure of that?

Wouldn't it be make more sense if they did it after the Superheroes weekend? As said somewhere else, that is the last of the 2017 runDisney races.

Announcing it afterwards would create a storm of complaints only online (email, sites and social media) and prevent the complaints during the two weekends. Just dealing with the online stuff is rather easy; they can do what runDisney Paris did. Just don't respond till a few weeks later.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@LAKid53 you mentioned that runDisney will do the announcement this week. Are you or that source sure of that?

Wouldn't it be make more sense if they did it after the Superheroes weekend? As said somewhere else, that is the last of the 2017 runDisney races.

Announcing it afterwards would create a storm of complaints only online (email, sites and social media) and prevent the complaints during the two weekends. Just dealing with the online stuff is rather easy; they can do what runDisney Paris did. Just don't respond till a few weeks later.

I was just relaying what the story on that other site said.

rD staff are going to be hammered at the expos for both races with questions about the Light Side. If they want to squelch the rumors, then providing an update, any update, would do it. Better to take the outrage now than to remain silent for another 3 weeks. Whatever the outcome for the 2018 DLR races, opening registration 2 months beforehand will impact participation by anyone but locals.

After reading about the problems with local Anaheim politics, I'm doubtful the 2018 Light Side will be held. But will be happy if proven wrong.

Texas84

Another site also said runDisney was at the Chicago Marathon and they said the race is on. Take that for what it's worth, probably not much. I still have the weekend planned as long as I can afford airfare if/when this is ever announced.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Another site also said runDisney was at the Chicago Marathon and they said the race is on. Take that for what it's worth, probably not much. I still have the weekend planned as long as I can afford airfare if/when this is ever announced.

Really? Interesting. And yet, rD doesn't update its webpage, FB page or Twitter feed.

I've got my train ticket and hotel reservation, just in case.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Answer to question about Light Side registration from Mom's Panel -

"The latest from the runDisney team is that registration will not open until all operational details are finalized."

Okay.....

RunningKoen

Answer to question about Light Side registration from Mom's Panel -

"The latest from the runDisney team is that registration will not open until all operational details are finalized."

Okay.....
It would be a first if they actually said something usefull on there. Most runDisney answers seem so copy + paste standarised selling info. Oh and how happy they are about runDisney and how great it is that you are going to run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom