2018 Christmas Week Experiences

mimitchi33

every so often I get a longing to go during Christmas and then I come to my senses. Some thing will have gone horribly wrong to make me brave those crowds.

Yikes.

I would like to go for a long weekend just to check out the decorations but I wouldn't handle the crowds
You could go during early November or early December. There are fewer crowds.

And as for the long Animal Kingdom waits, it's because a lot of people want to see Pandora, one of the resort's newest attractions.

Last edited:

Sonconato

Original Poster
MDE has been problematic in multiple formats for me for the past few days. I called WDW tech support today and was told that they've been working on a new photopass site and it's been messing up MDE on various devices for many.

About the crazy Animal Kingdom lines- could any of this be a result of closing Rafiki's Planet Watch? It may not have been the most popular attraction, but it was a people eater.
Regarding Rafikis being closed, maybe because of RPW but it is also because they are closing Kilimanjaro Safaris so early. We haven't been able to get a fastpass to Kilimanjaro since they started this. Harambe Village is basically closed by 7:00 pm now.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Regarding Rafikis being closed, maybe because of RPW but it is also because they are closing Kilimanjaro Safaris so early. We haven't been able to get a fastpass to Kilimanjaro since they started this. Harambe Village is basically closed by 7:00 pm now.

They pretty much have to close Kilimanjaro at those earlier times since sunset is around 5:30PM this time of year. It is pretty normal for Kilimanjaro Safari to close at sunset. And your right it does really compress the available time for folks to experience it but there really isn't much Disney can do about that. They tried the 'sunset safari' a couple of years ago but that didn't work out very well at all.

BrerWayne

They pretty much have to close Kilimanjaro at those earlier times since sunset is around 5:30PM this time of year. It is pretty normal for Kilimanjaro Safari to close at sunset. And your right it does really compress the available time for folks to experience it but there really isn't much Disney can do about that. They tried the 'sunset safari' a couple of years ago but that didn't work out very well at all.
What went wrong with Sunset Safari?

eliza61nyc

General question,

Do you think folks who go during this time do the research? someone mentioned the guest look "demoralized" and they do but I wonder what they expected??
Did they honestly think there would NOT be 2 hour waits?

Fsunolekrw

My family and I have gone every year between Christmas and New Year’s the past 7 years or so. One of the few times we can make it due to my work schedule. It will be crowded but you can have a good time with planning and some patience. Have done every park during this time frame, even EPCOT (yes all caps for me been going since it’s opening in ‘82 when I was 5 R.I.P. Horizons) twice on New Year’s Eve.

Just got back from a trip to EPCOT this past Friday the 28th. Logistics have gotten a little more complicated now since my brother and I now have families. We didn’t even get to the park until close to noon, had fast passes for Nemo (between my brother and myself we have a 1, 2, & 7 year old) and they loved the Living Seas Aquarium.

Left the 1 and 2 year old with the grandparents at The Seas while brother, SIL, 7 year old, wife and myself went and used fast passes at Soarin. Traded off 1 and 2 year old with grandparents so that they could do Soarin.

Had ADR’s at Rose & Crown, had a great lunch. Then some shopping at Mouse Gears.

Had tickets to Candlelight Processional at 6:45 (Cal Ripken Jr.) great show 1st time seeing it.

Walked around WS for a bit touring some pavilions then left 1 and 2 year old with grandparents again to ride Mission Space.

Met back up for dinner ADR at Les Chefs de France and then watched Illuminations.

A full day but everyone had a good time.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Yet no phase closings...

One would almost think they are intentionally filling the parks beyond past capacity points to ensure maximum $$. But there is no history of them doing that right???

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Id go during Christmas- New Year but it wouldnt be to ride rides. It would be soley to people watch. Find a beverage, snack or three, and a bench and just watch the show that is humanity.

I just returned yesterday from 7 days at WDW, including spending Christmas Day at the MK. The crowds were, as expected, massive in all of the parks. But, as others above mentioned, with ADRs booked this summer and FPs, my family of 11 was able to do everything we wanted to. I guess you have to go into it knowing the Christmas to New Years week is going to be crazy and plan accordingly. I generally don’t mind crowds, but we planned our days so that we got in early, did as many things as we could (using a combination of standby and FastPass) and then got out early afternoon. The kids liked going back to the resort to swim and play and the adults were able to relax. After dinner then some of us would go back to a park. Made the whole thing very bearable.

My only crowd size complaint would be Toy Story Land. Given it’s still a new land I expected it to be busy. But it was beyond busy. There was literally wall-to-wall people the entire place. It didn’t help that, because of the SWGE construction wall, there’s only one way in and out of TSL. After using our FP for Midway Mania I tried to walk around the rest of the land to explore, but gave up because it was just too crowded. I can’t imagine what SWGE crowds will be like once it opens.

ruthann

This was my 30th visit to WDW, but my first on Christmas and during Christmas week. Christmas Day was insane at the Magic Kingdom, I heard they reach capacity and I wouldn't doubt it for a second. The rest of the week was a little more than the usual WDW crowded, but tolerable. Now that I have experienced Christmas Week at WDW, I doubt I would ever do it again.

This was my 30th visit to WDW, but my first on Christmas and during Christmas week. Christmas Day was insane at the Magic Kingdom, I heard they reach capacity and I wouldn't doubt it for a second. The rest of the week was a little more than the usual WDW crowded, but tolerable. Now that I have experienced Christmas Week at WDW, I doubt I would ever do it again.

Same. The past two times I’ve gone (2016 and 2018) were during the Christmas week. It was fun to be there during that time, but our next trip in a few years won’t be at Christmas.

Jon81uk

Personally I loved the 7pm safari we did two years ago. The lions were far more active and easier to spot than the daytime. Yes it was a shorter loop of the safari route and in some areas there were fewer animals, but it was still worth doing. Plus there was no wait to board the attraction, I could understand complaints from people who waited two hours for it, but in general waits were short for the sunset safari.

Ralphlaw

We were down there from the 21st through the 30th, and we've been many times over Christmas over the years. This year by far was the worst. Unless you're there at rope drop and/or late at night, you'll probably not get on anything worthwhile in a standby line.

What was truly annoying to us was that we couldn't even book fastpasses for the things we wanted to do. My wife was on the website immediately upon her first opportunity to do so, and few things were available.

By contrast, we found World Showcase to be pretty good, and late night Extra Magic Hours got us on Frozen, Soarin' and Mission Space. We were also able to get dining pretty easily by just walking up. Standby seating for Candlelight Processional was also pretty easy for us.

We did Sunset Safari a few years ago, and I was disappointed. You couldn't really see much of anything, but once in a while you could hear the animals more clearly making noise.

HonoraMary

We have visited the Parks at various times during this 2018 Christmas Week and have been rather surprised at what we faced considering we have done this every year for the past 10 years. Below are some images and videos that should be self-explanatory. Due to these occurrences, we decided to steer clear of the Parks for New Year’s Eve…even AK which has normally been slower. We’re curious to know what others have experienced and we’re particularly curious to see what New Year’s Eve brings should anybody be brave enough to go.

Fastpass Line @ Jungle Cruise - 12/24/18

Start of Fastpass Line @ Jungle Cruise - Looking toward Swiss Family Treehouse
View attachment 336577

Fastpass Line @ Jungle Cruise - Looking toward ride
View attachment 336585

Standby Line @ Haunted Mansion - 12/24/18

Standby Line @ Haunted Mansion - Where old Mike Fink Keel Boats Docked - The dock is to the left of this image
View attachment 336586

Stand by Line @ Haunted Mansion - Line starts @ top of ramp under the gazebo type structure
View attachment 336588

Standby Line @ Kilimanjaro Safaris - 12/27/18

Standby Line @ Kilimanjaro Safaris - Start of line looking toward Festival of the Lion King
View attachment 336594

Standby Line @ Kilimanjaro Safaris - Line extends from Harambe bridge all the way across the Harambe Village - The line is indistinguishable from the crowd.
View attachment 336603

This is why we would never go to Disney Christmas week or Easter/Spring school vacation week. We had to go at the end of July once because it was the only time my husband could get vacation time. That was bad enough, and HOT. Since there are no school age kids in our family, we have the luxury of going when school is in session, leaving summer and school holidays to families with kids.

Sonconato

Original Poster
Personally I loved the 7pm safari we did two years ago. The lions were far more active and easier to spot than the daytime. Yes it was a shorter loop of the safari route and in some areas there were fewer animals, but it was still worth doing. Plus there was no wait to board the attraction, I could understand complaints from people who waited two hours for it, but in general waits were short for the sunset safari.
My family and I also enjoyed the sunset safaris as well and we miss them. A little after it gets dark out, the lions will roar and the rhinos will get very close to the trucks. Those experiences do not happen during the day, so I certainly wish the nighttime safaris were available.

Rosanne

We have visited the Parks at various times during this 2018 Christmas Week and have been rather surprised at what we faced considering we have done this every year for the past 10 years. Below are some images and videos that should be self-explanatory. Due to these occurrences, we decided to steer clear of the Parks for New Year’s Eve…even AK which has normally been slower. We’re curious to know what others have experienced and we’re particularly curious to see what New Year’s Eve brings should anybody be brave enough to go.

Fastpass Line @ Jungle Cruise - 12/24/18

Start of Fastpass Line @ Jungle Cruise - Looking toward Swiss Family Treehouse
View attachment 336577

Fastpass Line @ Jungle Cruise - Looking toward ride
View attachment 336585

Standby Line @ Haunted Mansion - 12/24/18

Standby Line @ Haunted Mansion - Where old Mike Fink Keel Boats Docked - The dock is to the left of this image
View attachment 336586

Stand by Line @ Haunted Mansion - Line starts @ top of ramp under the gazebo type structure
View attachment 336588

Standby Line @ Kilimanjaro Safaris - 12/27/18

Standby Line @ Kilimanjaro Safaris - Start of line looking toward Festival of the Lion King
View attachment 336594

Standby Line @ Kilimanjaro Safaris - Line extends from Harambe bridge all the way across the Harambe Village - The line is indistinguishable from the crowd.
View attachment 336603

My question is - Why would anyone want to go to Disney over Xmas Holiday? If you know its going to be swamped, do you really want to wait in long lines and have to push through crowds of people & kids? Stay home, enjoy your Xmas tree & presents. We are avid fans of Disney & have resident annual passes. We only go when the kids are in school. But, if you have kids that are in school, take them out one day and go during the week - never on a holiday! My advice to Disney - they should build a brand new park instead of adding to the four they have. They need to disperse the crowds that just keep getting worse. They could have built a completely new park that was just for Pandora and one for Star Wars. This would take some of the stress off the old parks. They could have a separate fee for the 2 new parks. With less crowds they would get more people and more gate fees.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom