Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday August 25 , 2019

Shots from the Emporium area
IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

Cute crocheted character dolls
IMG_0149.JPG

We saw this pirate at the last Expo too. We were glad he brought his ship to short this time too.
IMG_0150.JPG

I read Bob D'Arcy's book this past winter about being the first host of Disneyland. It was very interesting. He had a line of people so I just snapped a picture on the go.
IMG_0152.JPG

Living Seas ride vehicle
IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0164.JPG

I have one of these vintage Alice's at home.
IMG_0166.JPG

I was really coveting this Zorro stuff. Alas no more room in the suitcase.
IMG_0171.JPG

I listen to the Sweep Spot podcast and had read these guys 1st book Cleaning the Kingdom. Very good. They are former custodial cast members from Disneyland, so it is a different take on the park. They had a new book that I wanted to buy. They were fun to chat with for a little bit.
I
IMG_9463.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday August 25, 2019

More from the Emporium and show floor.
IMG_9466.JPG

IMG_9467.JPG

An interactive simba
IMG_9471.JPG

A painting by Paige O'Hara (voice of animated Belle). I briefly thought about buying it for my niece for Christmas. But it was a couple hundred dollars, too much for her Christmas present.
IMG_0175.JPG

Cool orange bird stuff for sale, some new and some vintage. Cool right @Rista1313 ?!
IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

Other art work for sale
IMG_0179.JPG

Soon it was time for lunch and we decided to forgo the food trucks today and eat at the grilled cheese booth in the convention center. It was good but not as greasy as we wanted.
IMG_0180.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday August 25, 2019

The Art of Disney Storytelling was the next panel. It was hosted by John Stamos (and his wife). It had people like Tony Baxter, Floyd Norman, Paul Briggs and Don Hahn. There was also a nice tribute to Marty Sklar who had passed away shortly after the last Expo and his last major public appearance had been at the panel John Stamos had hosted.

The panel was interesting and had some new stories about Disney design and some I already know.

IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0252.JPG

IMG_0255.JPG

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0259.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4629.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
August Sunday 25, 2019

More of the Art of Disney Storytelling panel. The panel was very enjoyable and it can be found on youtube because it was live streamed by D23. When the panel was done we had a stage pass for another panel Disney Character Voices, it was supposed to be starting in 10 minutes at the other end of the convention center. We thought about sprinting down there but in the end we didn't. I've been meaning to watch it on youtube but I haven't yet. I guess it was very good. I also heard that it started late so we probably would have gotten a seat no problem.
IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4637.JPG

Blurry but the best picture I got of all of them on stage.
IMG_4639.JPG

So after deciding that we wouldn't be going to the the Character Voices panel we wanted to see the Honda Autopia display again. But the line was longer than what we wanted to wait in so we just did a couple quick shots over the mini-wall.
IMG_0264.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

Both of us decided at the same time that we wanted to go to Disneyland. It would be our last time until probably sometime in 2021. On the way out we passed the cool pictures on the wall of the Dream Store.
IMG_0268.JPG

IMG_0269.JPG

IMG_0270.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

So we said out goodbyes to D23 Expo 2019. We had lots of fun! But now we were off to DIsneyland!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday August 25, 2019

We stopped at the Candy Cane on the way to Disneyland and they let us store our backpacks with our suitcases. Then we continued on to Disneyland.

Both of us agreed that we should ride the train.
IMG_0275.JPG

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0281.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

We did a full tour plus a stop and got off at New Orleans square. Brad wanted to go to Galaxy's Edge again just to wander around.
IMG_0290.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

We shared a Ronto wrap, it was okay. There was so much bread and the sausage while tasty wasn't enough to fill it up. I didn't like the slaw either. So Brad ended up eating most of it.
IMG_9522.JPG

IMG_9525.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday August 25, 2019

A few more pictures from our wanderings in Galaxy's Edge.
IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_9541.JPG

I wanted my picture in front of the Golden Horseshoe because back in the 50's Zorro used to make a few appearances here as a promo.

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

And our last Disneyland food for awhile....the Red Wagon Corndog. Yummy as ever. At least it was our last Disneyland food in the park. We brought home some toffee and chocolate peanut butter sandwiches that are in our freezer at home.
IMG_0317.JPG

IMG_0318.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday August 25, 2019

And soon it was time to say goodbye to Disneyland. We had a fantastic year in the land. I had made the trip 5 times this year (November, March, April, June, and August) and Brad had been with me for all but the April trip. We had experienced the Holiday season, seen the castle covered in tarps, I celebrated Easter and Food and Wine festival, we had anxiously awaited the opening of Galaxy's Edge and dreamed of what it would be like, and then we were lucky enough to see it in the first opening weeks. I will really miss Disneyland, it has become "home" just like WDW.

So long Walt & Mickey...hope to see you in 2021!
IMG_0316.JPG

With that we took an empty shuttle back to the Candy Cane and collected our bags. And then repacked them a bit while waiting for our Uber to LAX. We had to fly out of LAX because it had the latest flight time back to Minneapolis, which allowed us to stay later on Sunday.
IMG_0321.JPG

The ride to the airport wasn't too bad and not as nightmarish once getting near LAX as it has been in the past. Only about 15 minutes stuck in LAX traffic.

We were on the red eye back to Minneapolis. Our plane was due to land at 5:05 am and I was due to be to work for the first day of teacher inservice at 7:30 am (but I knew from 7:30am-8am was the welcome back breakfast so I had a little leeway), so here was hoping everything went like it should. Nothing like cutting it close! The flight was going fine until about 1am and then there was a call for medical help, a passenger in distress. Shamefully, my first thought was "oh no, we are going to have to land and I'm going to be late for work or miss the first day." Immediately I felt bad, a person obvisously needed medical help and I was thinking about myself so I said a little prayer for that person and then turned around and made sure it wasn't Brad in need of help. Fortunately the passenger was okay and was attended to by a dr and a paramedic.

We landed on time, actually a little early but our luggage took about 25 minutes to come to the carousel. Annoying. But I was still on track to make it to work on time. We had time to pick up a quick breakfast at McDonald's too.

So I walked into my house at 7:05am, hopped into the shower for a quick shower but I didn't want to be the stinky kid at school! And at 7:27 am I walked into my classroom. On time and early!

Why are we smiling, we are leaving Disney and I have to work in a few hours!?!
IMG_0322.JPG

So that my friends concludes my Year in the Land report, tomorrow is officially the last day of our annual passes. Boo.... A big thank you to all of you who have read, commented, and liked the posts.

So what does our Disney future look like? A return to Walt Disney World. We have two trips on the horizon with a possible 3rd. Our return to the World will be in March for the start of Flower and Garden. I'm thinking of doing a pre-trip report or starting a post for meetups in the Trip planning section. Anyone going to be around the first part of March? If so let me know.

Until then.....
IMG_0323.JPG

krisri18

Sunday August 25, 2019

And soon it was time to say goodbye to Disneyland. We had a fantastic year in the land. I had made the trip 5 times this year (November, March, April, June, and August) and Brad had been with me for all but the April trip. We had experienced the Holiday season, seen the castle covered in tarps, I celebrated Easter and Food and Wine festival, we had anxiously awaited the opening of Galaxy's Edge and dreamed of what it would be like, and then we were lucky enough to see it in the first opening weeks. I will really miss Disneyland, it has become "home" just like WDW.

So long Walt & Mickey...hope to see you in 2021!
View attachment 426832

With that we took an empty shuttle back to the Candy Cane and collected our bags. And then repacked them a bit while waiting for our Uber to LAX. We had to fly out of LAX because it had the latest flight time back to Minneapolis, which allowed us to stay later on Sunday.
View attachment 426833

The ride to the airport wasn't too bad and not as nightmarish once getting near LAX as it has been in the past. Only about 15 minutes stuck in LAX traffic.

We were on the red eye back to Minneapolis. Our plane was due to land at 5:05 am and I was due to be to work for the first day of teacher inservice at 7:30 am (but I knew from 7:30am-8am was the welcome back breakfast so I had a little leeway), so here was hoping everything went like it should. Nothing like cutting it close! The flight was going fine until about 1am and then there was a call for medical help, a passenger in distress. Shamefully, my first thought was "oh no, we are going to have to land and I'm going to be late for work or miss the first day." Immediately I felt bad, a person obvisously needed medical help and I was thinking about myself so I said a little prayer for that person and then turned around and made sure it wasn't Brad in need of help. Fortunately the passenger was okay and was attended to by a dr and a paramedic.

We landed on time, actually a little early but our luggage took about 25 minutes to come to the carousel. Annoying. But I was still on track to make it to work on time. We had time to pick up a quick breakfast at McDonald's too.

So I walked into my house at 7:05am, hopped into the shower for a quick shower but I didn't want to be the stinky kid at school! And at 7:27 am I walked into my classroom. On time and early!

Why are we smiling, we are leaving Disney and I have to work in a few hours!?!
View attachment 426834

So that my friends concludes my Year in the Land report, tomorrow is officially the last day of our annual passes. Boo.... A big thank you to all of you who have read, commented, and liked the posts.

So what does our Disney future look like? A return to Walt Disney World. We have two trips on the horizon with a possible 3rd. Our return to the World will be in March for the start of Flower and Garden. I'm thinking of doing a pre-trip report or starting a post for meetups in the Trip planning section. Anyone going to be around the first part of March? If so let me know.

Until then.....
View attachment 426835
What a year! Can't believe you made that trip 5 times!!! Disneyland looks absolutely magical and I appreciate you diligently taking notes and photos so we could all follow along on your adventures!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wow. The D23 convention looked so amazing!!! I was totally geeking out over your D23 sections in the TR. You two are so lucky to have experienced that -- it looked beyond fun!!

Thanks for sharing everything from the trip (and not just the D23-specific parts). I loved it ALL !!! :joyfull: :joyfull:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
What a year! Can't believe you made that trip 5 times!!! Disneyland looks absolutely magical and I appreciate you diligently taking notes and photos so we could all follow along on your adventures!

Thank you for sharing this past year with us!! I really enjoyed it!!! :)

Thanks to both of you for following along. It was an amazing year as a Disneylander.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow. The D23 convention looked so amazing!!! I was totally geeking out over your D23 sections in the TR. You two are so lucky to have experienced that -- it looked beyond fun!!

Thanks for sharing everything from the trip (and not just the D23-specific parts). I loved it ALL !!! :joyfull: :joyfull:

Thanks for following along @MinnieM123 . The Expo did make the year unique. I am hoping to attend the next one.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I’m super bummed to see this one end. Thanks for sharing your(and Brad’s!)adventures from the last year, I really enjoyed following along!

Thanks. I'm bummed it is coming to an end too. But there are more Disney adventure in the future.

Amazing report.. thanks for sharing with us all! Looking forward to March.

Thank you! I'm looking forward to March too.

Doc Disney

I feel like I had so many comments throughout this whole trip report but kept getting behind in reading and didn't want to mess up the flow. Thank you so much for sharing !! I LOVED hearing about the Expo and your studio tour especially. What an amazing year at Disneyland ❤❤❤

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom