2017 Dining Plan Changes: Is the QS now officially overpriced?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Add as snack and you're there.
You also left taxes out.

Also he left off not only one snack but TWO snacks that is now included with the regular plan each day. So it would probably be over that $64 a day once you add 2 snacks. Some snacks are $5-7 a piece and more if you use it on food and wine fest booth items as we have many times. Lol :)

asianway

:hilarious: Thats a valid reason. People trying to argue it saves money almost always isn't. But like I said in an earlier post- if budget and prepaying for peace of mind are the priority- just get a gift card for the exact amount your DDP would be (with tax)- and you'll get to keep those hundreds while still staying within budget and prepaying. There's no reason to just give the mouse more money for literally nothing in return.
I'm just lookin out for ya :D
Not that I would ever offer financial planning advice for free... but its a horrible reason. just like people who never look at their insurance/utility bills and end up overpaying enough to equal a substantial raise each month.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Certain restaurants are not good choices if you plan on using the DDP. If you're going to use the DDP, you have to go to the more expensive restaurants to truly make it worth it.

In the example above...it's not worth it at all. But if you do BOG for lunch (Prime Roast Beef Sandwish $16.99, Drink $3.29 and a Dessert $5 - just over $25 for lunch) and then go somewhere like Akershus for dinner, which the last time we went was around $55/person I believe...you're already well over that $64 mark.

Not every lunch/dinner combo is worth it...but if you do a bit of research...you can definitely enjoy some great meals and actually come out ahead.

It's a financial shell game. You do not come out ahead. You are paying a metric crap-ton of money either way. You see that $47 choice cut steak and you think you're getting a bargain with the DDP. The reality is, that steak is $30 over priced, just to make you feel that way.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Probably true about the Pooh-sized folk, but it's definitely significant when these sorts of complaints have hit Disboards, of all places, en masse. If the self-avowed pixie snorters are actively complaining in a public forum, you know you've got a problem on your hands.
I agree. If DISers are complaining, then that's an issue.

asianway

It's a financial shell game. You do not come out ahead. You are paying a metric crap-ton of money either way. You see that $47 choice cut steak and you think you're getting a bargain with the DDP. The reality is, that steak is $30 over priced, just to make you feel that way.
I would never do a WDW vacation without renting a car, and once you arent tethered to property you can get that same steak for $15 at Outback. I constantly see people posting "I just bought the DDP! Now where should I eat?" They prey on ignorance. And people who use 2 credits. Under the guise of not having to pay each time, but you do need to leave a tip. So you do still need to keep track, unless they all come out ahead by not tipping?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would never do a WDW vacation without renting a car, and once you arent tethered to property you can get that same steak for $15 at Outback. I constantly see people posting "I just bought the DDP! Now where should I eat?" They prey on ignorance. And people who use 2 credits. Under the guise of not having to pay each time, but you do need to leave a tip. So you do still need to keep track, unless they all come out ahead by not tipping?
Outback = gross

sxeensweet

Wow! Most WDW restaurants steaks far surpass Outback and we have a great Outback 5 min from me. We also always have our car and still only leave property to go to Celebration to visit and shop and eat there usually once each trip. Me and the hubby have traveled a lot and eaten at many well established local favorites in each city and fine dining restaurants ($200-$250++ just for us 2 easily) and in our opinion some WDW restaurants are right up there with some of the finest dining we have had. Shoot we have plenty of good eating here at home too. We would dine at these restaurants in WDW with or WITHOUT the dining plan because we enjoy them so much. The dining plan has nothing to do with where we eat. We pick what we like not because the dining plan makes us. To each there own. More room at these places in WDW if you don't eat there. Haha! :p

asianway

Wow! Most WDW restaurants steaks far surpass Outback and we have a great Outback 5 min from me. We also always have our car and still only leave property to go to Celebration to visit and shop and eat there usually once each trip. Me and the hubby have traveled a lot and eaten at many well established local favorites in each city and fine dining restaurants ($200-$250++ just for us 2 easily) and in our opinion some WDW restaurants are right up there with some of the finest dining we have had. Shoot we have plenty of good eating here at home too. We would dine at these restaurants in WDW with or WITHOUT the dining plan because we enjoy them so much. The dining plan has nothing to do with where we eat. We pick what we like not because the dining plan makes us. To each there own. More room at these places in WDW if you don't eat there. Haha! :p
I guess the pixie dust they sprinkle in the food does make it taste better

andysol

This lady is 2 hrs from New Orleans and talking about how WDW restaurants are right up there with some of the finest dining she's had. :eek:

yoda1-e1446595804475.jpg

The dust is strong in this one

bethymouse

WDW vacations are getting expensive overall anyhow! Did you see the prices for 2017?:eek: We've done WDW with and without the DDP. With the DDP, you're "tied down" to a few less choices IMHO.

sxeensweet

This lady is 2 hrs from New Orleans and talking about how WDW restaurants are right up there with some of the finest dining she's had. :eek:

yoda1-e1446595804475.jpg

The dust is strong in this one

I'm including New Orleans in saying that too and have many favorites in New Orleans and we visit often. Still put WDW food up there even with loving all our New Orleans food. Food in my city is delicious too and hard to beat but still not changing my opinion. Believe it or not because of where I'm from I'm even more picky. Part Italian and part cajun so I know good food. But hey we are all entitled to our opinions. :rolleyes::p

andysol

@andysol Are there any WDW restaurants that you do like?:eek:
Hah. I like plenty- but very few would I call exceptional.
Monsieur Paul was. Jiko is also.
I haven't eaten at V&As but I've heard nothing but good things from people I know who have.
Yes, I enjoy BoG, skippers canteen, brown derby, etc. For theme park food- it's phenomenal. But I could give you a hundred restaurants I've eaten just in Dallas that surpass all those in quality. So ya- it's tolerable food, and there are several good dishes, but nowhere near "rave worthy" IMO. The fact some people build up Disney food as being better than most local fare is pretty crazy- particularly at those prices. I'm from Texas- Le Cellier is a joke compared to three forks, ricks, bobs, etc- and in the same price range. Or Gibsons (Boathouse), etc

Just my opinion of course- tastes are subjective. But I'd think the best food critics in the world would think similarly (not that I am one).

tirian

Original Poster
So they took away the dessert but gave us an extra snack..... that we can use to buy a dessert with one of the meals. I see your point but you worded it wrong in this post, you don't loose a side item, you loose a single dessert.

Personaly though, I'm fine with this because I pretty much never ate the dessert anyway so this way I can get an extra snack at a different time instead and get more use out of it.

You lose a single dessert. It's one "o."

And considering this plan once had two snacks, two full meals, and a refillable mug for about $15 less per day, my point remains that Disney has finally made enough changes that the QS plan is no longer worthwhile.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
Hah. I like plenty- but very few would I call exceptional.
Monsieur Paul was. Jiko is also.
I haven't eaten at V&As but I've heard nothing but good things from people I know who have.
Yes, I enjoy BoG, skippers canteen, brown derby, etc. For theme park food- it's phenomenal. But I could give you a hundred restaurants I've eaten just in Dallas that surpass all those in quality. So ya- it's tolerable food, and there are several good dishes, but nowhere near "rave worthy" IMO. The fact some people build up Disney food as being better than most local fare is pretty crazy- particularly at those prices. I'm from Texas- Le Cellier is a joke compared to three forks, ricks, bobs, etc- and in the same price range. Or Gibsons (Boathouse), etc

Just my opinion of course- tastes are subjective. But I'd think the best food critics in the world would think similarly (not that I am one).

It goes both ways. I live between Dallas and Ft. Worth, and have dined at all of the places you mentioned and others like Reata, and some of Tim Love's places in Ft. Worth. I've had steaks at Yachtsman and a few other locations that are just as good, and in some cases consistently better than one or two places named in DFW. Some of it comes down to luck. Each piece of meat is different, and some pieces are just better or worse even when perfectly prepared. Maybe WDW gets some benefit since I don't dine there as often as I have to entertain clients in DFW.

tirian

Original Poster
It goes both ways. I live between Dallas and Ft. Worth, and have dined at all of the places you mentioned and others like Reata, and some of Tim Love's places in Ft. Worth. I've had steaks at Yachtsman and a few other locations that are just as good, and in some cases consistently better than one or two places named in DFW. Some of it comes down to luck. Each piece of meat is different, and some pieces are just better or worse even when perfectly prepared. Maybe WDW gets some benefit since I don't dine there as often as I have to entertain clients in DFW.
I've had phenomenal meals at California Grill and lousy ones at Morton's, as well as vice-versa. Restaurants are supposed to be consistent, but the cooks make a big difference.

SYRIK2000

:hilarious: Thats a valid reason. People trying to argue it saves money almost always isn't. But like I said in an earlier post- if budget and prepaying for peace of mind are the priority- just get a gift card for the exact amount your DDP would be (with tax)- and you'll get to keep those hundreds while still staying within budget and prepaying. There's no reason to just give the mouse more money for literally nothing in return.
I'm just lookin out for ya :D
The down side is you have to worry about losing the GC. If you lose your magic band you grab another. We do the Deluxe meal plan to have everything prepaid. Room charge the tips. I don't think it saves me anything but it makes everything very convenient and more relaxing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom