2012 Olympics

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
I heard Disney wsa trying to get these games to Orlando or even in the resort. Does anyone know if this is true or have anymore info on it?

StarscreamLSU

I read a story in the paper this morning about the cities, Orlando isn't even mentioned. I doubt it though, they really don't have the areas needed. This seems to be something that pops up everytime city naming comes up.

MrPromey

I live down here and can confirm that central FL is making efforts to attract the 2012 games. If we were to get it, they the event locations would be along the corridor connecting Orlando to Tampa Bay where there is more than enough land for such a thing. During the presidential election another issue that was on our ballots was for the construction of a high speed rail (a train traveling at 200+ mph) that would connect these areas. Although useful for other long term purposes, it would be considered part of the transportation backbone if we were to get the games. There is also a good chance that at least some of Disney's facilities would be used for the events though Disney would not be THE official host.

MouseRight

F Y I

We live in West Palm Beach area of Florida. A local TV Station reported on Beijing getting the Olympics in 2008 and said it would help Florida to get the Olympics in 2012. They said if Toronto had been awarded teh 2008 Olympics, instaed of Beijing, then there is no way the IOC would give it to Florida in 2012 since it is on the same continent as Toronto. Not sure if they are correct, but the report went on to say that the Olympics would be based in Central Florida with the Citrus Bowl in Orlando to be the Soccer venue. Baseball, basketball and other sports to be based in Disney's Wide World Of Sports.

<SRH>

I think the Tampa-Bay-Orlando locations would be great for the Olympics, although some more facilities, possibly more hotels, and the inevitable high-speed rail would have to be built. This states number one area of business is tourism. The Olympic Committee was impressed with the large amount of people that Florida handles proficiently. I believe we could handle it even better than Atlanta. The only thing that I read is that the Olympic Committee prefers one host city. I also thought they were also including Miami in the bid. I read this article a long time ago, so I'm not sure.

rob_b

If orlando was able to get the bid how do you think if would effect WDW?

As a DVC member I was thinking I might have a chance(lottery) at a room. Would Disney give the rooms to the athletes or build new buildings. Would the parks be closed to the general public.

Like it would ever happen;)

NowInc

If we do end up getting the games down here in 2012...i will make the greatest of effort to be somewhere else...the traffic here is bad NOW..imagine how horrible it will be with the games here...eeeeek...

Also...That 200+ mile/hour train thing has been talked about a lot around here. I also heard that it would travel between South florida (miami area) and Orlando...not between tampa and orlando (only about an hour apart by car..why would we need a train?)

joho0

I really get upset when people post info and they have NO idea what they are talking about.

First the facts...

1) Tampa and Orlando (aka: The I4 Corridor) are making a combined bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics. Disney is a supporter of that bid and some of the events would be held at the Wide World of Sports complex.

2) The Florida High Speed Rail Initiative was a voter proposition that was approved last November by Florida voters. It mandates that the state build a high speed rail link between the 5 largest population centers with work required to begin by 2003. The Tampa to Orlando link will be the first section built because a) its the shortest and therefore the cheapest and b) it would be necessary for Tampa/Orlando to win the olympic bid.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers but I feel its necessary that people at least make an effort to verify the information they post so that people aren't misinformed.

castlecake

Originally posted by Jr Imagineer
NOOO.. Toronto lost the 2008 bid!!

Awell... there is still hope for the Whistler games in 2010, that would be awesome.
:( :( i cant believe toronto lost!! Blame it on Mayor Mel lastman, with his Africa comments(if you live in canada u no what i mean!):mad:

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Jr Imagineer
NOOO.. Toronto lost the 2008 bid!!

That's actually good for Orlando's chances in 2012. Because if Toronto got it in 2008... there was no was the IOC would put the next games on the same continent.

The Mom

Premium Member
If it's staged anything like the Atlanta games, the venues might be very far apart. The sailing was in Savannah, the rowing and kayaking about an hour or so away. Things should be spread out. Only the really popular events had traffic problems, and I would hope they wouldn't have too many located in the immediate WDW area.

I would think the heat might be a factor (although it's pretty hot in & around Atlanta, too)

Ryan

Originally posted by joho0

2) The Florida High Speed Rail Initiative was a voter proposition that was approved last November by Florida voters. It mandates that the state build a high speed rail link between the 5 largest population centers with work required to begin by 2003. The Tampa to Orlando link will be the first section built because a) its the shortest and therefore the cheapest and b) it would be necessary for Tampa/Orlando to win the olympic bid.

I was wondering about that for such a long time. Living out of the city, we don't hear this kind of news very often. Thanks for the update...and THANK YOU FLA voters! That's awesome. Has anyone heard anything more about the MCO-WDW High Speed Rail link? Will this be party of the I-4 Orlando-Tampa link?

wdwmaniac

Original Poster
It might be good because all the hotels, stores, and restaurants are all ready there. I herad after Nagano and Atlanta they had an economic slup. They already are a big tourist area.

MrPromey

I should correct a mis-statement that I made before. Earlier in this thread I said that the train would go 200+ mph... Not sure where I got that idea from. In reality it will be a little under 100mph. While not nearly as impressive, it will still be nicer and faster than driving assuming they don't charge outlandish prices to use it which I don't think they will since it will be publicly run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom