2011 espn 5k

Figment82

Original Poster
I didn't see any threads about this upcoming race - but is anyone else participating?

This will be my third time and I'm hoping to be able to get to the point where I can finally jog/run most of it. Unfortunately, my shins have really been bothering me when I add running into my exercises, so we'll see how it goes...

I didn't see any threads about this upcoming race - but is anyone else participating?

This will be my third time and I'm hoping to be able to get to the point where I can finally jog/run most of it. Unfortunately, my shins have really been bothering me when I add running into my exercises, so we'll see how it goes...

If your shins have been bothering you, it sounds like you could be developing shin splints. I would take a look at your shoes. You may not be wearing the right kind of shoes. I wouldn't mess with shin splints. If you're not careful and you push yourself thinking they'll go away and you can run through them, you may end up finding yourself facing stress fractures. I know because it happened to me. I ended up with 3 stress fractures that were the result of shin splints. One of which was so bad I ended up in cast for 3 months. This was a result of running in a pair of shoes that was not the right type for my foot type. I was running in a stability shoe when I needed to be in a motion control shoe because I have extremely flat feet. I needed a shoe that stopped my leg from rolling in too much.

Figment82

Original Poster
Is that the one March 5th?
Yup - it used to be the last weekend in February, but this year they switched it with the Princess Half.

If your shins have been bothering you, it sounds like you could be developing shin splints. I would take a look at your shoes. You may not be wearing the right kind of shoes. I wouldn't mess with shin splints. If you're not careful and you push yourself thinking they'll go away and you can run through them, you may end up finding yourself facing stress fractures. I know because it happened to me. I ended up with 3 stress fractures that were the result of shin splints. One of which was so bad I ended up in cast for 3 months. This was a result of running in a pair of shoes that was not the right type for my foot type. I was running in a stability shoe when I needed to be in a motion control shoe because I have extremely flat feet. I needed a shoe that stopped my leg from rolling in too much.

Yikes! That's not good at all - thank you for the heads up! I had been reading about shin splints after I first starting getting the pain, and I know they're not something to take lightly. I think I will take your advice and look into some different shoes.

Yikes! That's not good at all - thank you for the heads up! I had been reading about shin splints after I first starting getting the pain, and I know they're not something to take lightly. I think I will take your advice and look into some different shoes.

Do you have a running store in your area? Someplace that maybe specializes in running that can do a proper gait analysis for you? This will help in the determining of the proper shoes for you. I wear New Balance shoes and I went to the actual New Balance store in my area and it was through them that I was able to get the correct shoes. They did a gait analysis for me. They watched me walk and run. What I need to walk and what I need to run are 2 different types of shoes. It turned out I was even in the wrong size of shoe. My shoes were too big, which was also playing a factor in the shin splints as my feet were sliding around in the shoes.

Don't get discouraged. You may have to try on a dozen different types of shoes before you have the right pair. And make sure you take a jog around the store in them, not just a walk. Also, don't let the store clerk talk you into any one brand/style of shoes. Just because they like them/they wear them doesn't mean they are right for them. The guy that helped me with my motion control shoe told me that he was the complete opposite of me. I need a stability shoe to walk in but a motion control to run in. Where as he needs a motion control to walk in/work in but he needs a completely neutral shoe to run in. They are your feet and you know them best. Make sure you tell the salesperson that you are suffering from shin splints and that is why you are looking for new shoes when you go to buy new ones and make sure you take your old ones. That way they know what you are currently wearing and have a starting point to work from.

Figment82

Original Poster
I really appreciate all of your input! We have a great locally-owned triathlon/running store near us that I think I will visit soon for a consultation. My boyfriend has gotten his last two pairs there (he wears size 13 so finding good shoes can be tough). I always just thought I wasn't cut out to jog/run, but hopefully new shoes will be the help I need! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom