20000 Leagues Under the Sea

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I am not mistaken 20k closed for refurb in 1994 and never reopened. In 2004 it was finally fully demolished and Pooh's playful place was built was built in roughly the same area as the old 20k queque. The rest of the rather large piece of land in undeveloped. One of the subs in in Castaway Cay (Disney's Cruise lines private island) there is another floating around the backstage areas of Epcot and the remainder found their way into a land fill at WDW.

As usual no official reason was given for its closure but the general consensus is that the ride was a maintenance nightmare and simply became too expensive to run.

Here is a site with much more detailed information on 20k's life and death.

http://www.20kride.com/home.html

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yep - 20K was due to reopen December 18th 1994 but never did. It was high maintainence, a traffic nightmare and helped on its wat by park management who pulled the wool over WDIs eyes.

DisneyWorldFred

20,000 Leagues was one of my favorite rides down at WDW, I remember waiting in 60, 50 minute waits to ride this. I am glad I got to ride this attraction many times when I visited WDW every year till my father got ill and sick for a number of years. I plan on returning after soo many years dealing with my father's health issues and may add that he passed away Nov of this year. Also been happy to join a very knowledgeable group of 20,000 League fans on another site where we talk about is nothing but "20,000 Leagues" and the "Nautilus"Go back there in Dec. to return to all the parks, rides and pay tribute also to my departed father, may his soul rest in peace. Greatly missed.

bethymouse

God bless you disneyworldfred.
I'm sure you can find a forum (or create one) dedicated just to 20,000 Leagues. I also loved that ride. But I thought Disneyland still had a ride similar to that one w/ another theme to it?:cool:

Beholder

I loved 20,000 Leagues. It was one of my top rides ever. I grew up with it and was truly saddened by it's departure. I took my then new wife to Disney for her first time and went on and on about all the great attractions, including 20,000. Imagine my shock to find that it had closed. It was truly an immersive ride. That was bad...

Bairstow

20K was an awesome ride- perfectly themed, a nice blend of interesting and slightly scary, and was actually a decent blend, for its time, of factual and fantastical oceanic info.
One of the best things about the attraction is that it was almost as impressive to look at off the ride as it was on.
Even after Disney shut the thing down, several submarines sat idle in the lagoon and they lit it at night.

It would have been so awesome to see what WDI could have done with the attraction had they kept it running for a couple more years and given it sprayed-glass overhaul like the submarines at Disneyland.

Does anyone have any decent nighttime pictures of the lagoon?

Nautilus(1).jpg

Clarksmommy

California turned it into a Nemo ride. You can see it if you have the new blue ray of finding Nemo. It looks cool. I rode it when it was still 20k in CA. Only thing I remembered was a scuba diver in the water trying to find someone's camera they dropped in the water while waiting for the ride. I was glad to be able to ride 20k in FL in 1990. Went back in 1997 and sadly it was gone. Lagoon is drained and the new Snow White ride is being built there along with some of the other new Fantasyland attractions as well.

BiffyClyro

I went on it when i was about 6 at Disneyland paris. I loved it, but i think as a child, for some reason i kept having nightmares about it! :D

Wish it was still there, i think the Pooh play area bit was a waste of space.

Animaniac93-98

I went on it when i was about 6 at Disneyland paris. I loved it, but i think as a child, for some reason i kept having nightmares about it! :D

Wish it was still there, i think the Pooh play area bit was a waste of space.

Paris has a walkthrough, not a ride like WDW had, but both were based on the same movie.

Zweiland

California turned it into a Nemo ride. You can see it if you have the new blue ray of finding Nemo. It looks cool. I rode it when it was still 20k in CA. Only thing I remembered was a scuba diver in the water trying to find someone's camera they dropped in the water while waiting for the ride. I was glad to be able to ride 20k in FL in 1990. Went back in 1997 and sadly it was gone. Lagoon is drained and the new Snow White ride is being built there along with some of the other new Fantasyland attractions as well.

The sub ride in California was never called 20k. Before it was Finding Nemo it was called Submarine Voyage thru Liquid Space.
Disneyland did, however, have a 20k walk-through attraction based on the movie.

RonAnnArbor

Here's a website dedicated to 20K at WDW: http://www.20kride.com

There is no 20K ride at Disneyland Paris -- that is a walkthrough model mock-up of Nemo's Submarine --

Mostly, this was known as the ride with the "never-ending line in direct sunlight with nothing to see but people all around you" ride...that and the attractions that kept breaking and not working -- at one visit, one of the "divers" was floating around untethered in the tank...it was cool technology though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom