20,000 Leagues Under the Sea question

EchoOfOphelia

Original Poster
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ?: may need a CM for this

I was wondering if anyone knows if they have removed all the animatronics and scenery from the in-building portion of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?? I seem to remember hearing that one of the reasons they shut down the ride in the first place was that it was extremely expensive to maintain the underwater ride. But Disney usually likes to cut costs where ever possible and I can totally see them just leaving all that stuff down in there. Or is the building portion being used for something else?

Also, I know I've seen the aerial photos of the Nautalius subs just sitting rusting in a Disney storage lot, but I don't know when those photos were taken. Are they still there?

Any info would be great, thanks!

Lee

Adventurer
All the subs are there except for the one they took to Castaway Cay.
And of course the one they picked apart for sale on Ebay.

westie

I just remember how sad it was before they shut it down, the poor mermaids were disintegrating before your eyes. My daughter was like,"Whats that?"

wild01ride

Too bad that "The Rotted Mermaid Body Lagoon" isn't a theme that really jives with Disney's image or else they would have a ride just sitting there waiting for them to use!

Sketch105

I'd love to know what happen to them. Sometimes they end up in the weirdest places. I saw a pic of the sea serpent from World of Motion at Disney's California Adventure, so anything could have happened. They could be anywhere, but I doubt they would leave them in that water..

mickeyfanatics

Funny, I was just at Castaway Cay two weeks ago and the sub was no longer in the snorkel lagoon. I was wondering where it went because it was there 2 years ago.

MicBat

it was either the sea searpent from wom or 2kL, but I have a pic in a magazine somewhere that has one of those searpents in a warehouse... ill have to try to find it

tigsmom

I was wondering about this myself...it was one of my favorites. I remember being told they closed it because the younger generation didn't know the story..."nobody reads the classics anymore." , but anytime I went the lines were always long.

fngoofy

Originally posted by Lee
All the subs are there except for the one they took to Castaway Cay.
And of course the one they picked apart for sale on Ebay.

Actually the subs are in a grave yard over by the contemporary. I have seen an aerial picture of them all lined up.

WDW1971

Why does Disney hold onto all that old stuff? If 20K Leagues is never coming back, it seems like they'd scrap it all and sell them totally off.

Incidentally, does anyone know when that was taken? One of the subs appears to be getting a lube job! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom