Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Ok some of this post is going to be a side trip or two. I never mentioned the Boston trip, and especially in the context of this year long pre-TR, it feels like part of our year long anniversary commemoration. (Hey, if WDW can celebrate their 45th bday for a year, so can we - we're 1971 babies - plus our 10th. Not a lot of gay couples can say they've been married that long - unless they're from Massachusetts or went to Canada!)

Anyway, July 15th in the afternoon, we flew to Boston to see one of my faves, Corey Hart. Some artists you just connect with for some reason - his first "flop" album in the US was "Young Man Running" in 1988 - and boy, was that me that year.

(On top of that, he's adorable.) He hadn't toured in the US since the 90's, and I never saw him live. This was a one time deal in an intimate "Town Hall" setting at an historic hotel in Boston, max 220 in attendance. We arrived just in time to check in and make it to the venue, and happened to stand in just the right spot to bypass the crowd and be one of the first through the door.

We made "friends" with another couple from Jersey while waiting in the hall.

IMG_1797.JPG

This random hallway shot happened to include that couple - the bald guy and his wife - don't ask me to remember names LOL.

We entered kind of a holding room (with bars.) Tix included a drink and passed hors d'oeuvres. (Of course we had another drink.)

Just before 9pm, we entered the ballroom.
IMG_1801.JPG

We were in the third row, left side, patiently awaiting...

IMG_1799.JPG

The Little Freaking Mermaid?!

That pic was just for you guys lol.

Here's Ariel, er, Corey:

IMG_1802.JPG

That was from our seat, that's how close we were. (Insert joy emoji I'm too lazy to click on right now.)

Here's a pic dump and then I'll finish typing this when I open up my laptop for the day. I still hate typing more than a small blurb on the phone.
86066DD5-E0A3-4E13-AD68-8A8F83B38E07.jpg

Last edited:

dizfan917

I dragged the bf to see Culture Club on tour last summer. That was my first concert experience in 1984, I think. It was some crazy nostalgia, seeing them again. It's like I haven't aged a day. Till I look in that mirror... It's almost time for V&A!! :geek:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Lord, it's been a busy morning, and that will continue through the day!

I can't say enough about this concert experience. I've never seen anyone more in tune with, appreciative of, and generous with their fans. I've seen Bruce Springsteen do mega 4+ hour concerts in NJ. I've seen Mariah talk and interact with fans over many shows (and unlike some other artists, she always makes sure there are affordable seats somewhere in the venue.)

Corey did this "town hall" by design. He wanted as many people in the audience as possible to be able to ask a question. (I did not, and wasn't sure I wanted to, but kind of did.) I'd say at least 30 people did, though.

It went further - he knew some of them from facebook, emails, etc., and would call them by name and know things about them, ask them to come up - one guy had no idea his wife had written to Corey, and Corey had him come up and play guitar for a bit. He told stories (some we were sworn to secrecy LOL) and was just all around genuine, humble, and sweet.

His wife was there (she is also a singer, known in Canada) and she sang something, and so did his two daughters. At first we thought that would be hokey, but they were actually good (in their late teens, I think.)

If any of you remember Alannah Myles ("Black velvet and that little boy smile...") he said they were friends before they were famous, and she was going through a rough time. He called her with FaceTime, accidentally called her by her real first name, and proceeded to sing Never Surrender to her, going off script and singing encouraging things to her: "We love you, Alannah, everything will be alright, Alannah, etc." I was totally choked up.

And he autographed something of his own for each of us in attendance, signed personally to us, not a generic autograph. Wild.

It was just him up there on keyboards and an acoustic guitarist. They were great, his voice was better than I expected, and I loved how much he emphasized my favorite album. That was a surprise, since, as I mentioned, it was really a flop here. I'm glad to know how much it meant to him. My takeaway was that he was a "kind soul," which is great to learn after I already admire him.

Brian knew the main radio hits, but when I played a CD or record, he kind of tuned out over the years. But Brian is something of a musician and singer, and he appreciated the performance (as I knew he would) as well as the uniqueness of the event and the generosity and spirit of our host. When he borrowed my car the next day after we got home, I found Corey's "Boy In The Box" left in there when I got it back. I knew he would want to hear more!! Just yesterday (I guess that's why this is fresh in my head again) I played the young man running album on vinyl in the house, and I knew B would have a new ear for it, and there I was choked up again. I had a new appreciation for it as well.

Corey went on for over 3 hours, and we went back to the room. The next morning, we didn't have a lot of time, but went to the Cheers bar (the new one that's made to look like the TV show) and a quick stop at a local gay bar nearby before heading back to the airport.

The only downside: as expected, the 3+ hour flight up irritated my back. What I didn't count on was how much flying home so soon would compound that irritation. Woke up the next morning in a bit of pain and was in bed with that for most of the following week. Much improved now, but not 100% - thinking of getting another one of those shots before our WDW trip just for insurance.

Some of that depends on how the intermediate trip goes - I'm flying out tomorrow morning to New Orleans for a Record Store conference, coming home Thursday night. Staying at a really old hotel in the French Quarter, supposed to be haunted, has been on the food network, NCIS NO (will Scott Bakula be there? :jawdrop:) and recently in the movie "Girls Trip" which I have not seen yet. This trip should be awesome, informative, fun, and good for my biz.

Booked Kylie for an extra day at BFPC, booked La Quinta for an extra night, so we're going up on 8/30 instead of driving up the morning of my bday 8/31. That way we get a full day plus a little extra the day before (that means B can come with me to DS, and we can go to a park :jawdrop:)

Funny how that always seems to happen...

SSH

Congrats to Brian...great resort! Love their intracoastal waterway bar - 5 O'Clock Somewhere. (Have a few sad feelings about all the changes to that beach over the years. I miss the funky, retro feel - but that's waay off topic!) :rolleyes:

Minthorne

Hey - you were in my neck of the woods!

Ok some of this post is going to be a side trip or two. I never mentioned the Boston trip, and especially in the context of this year long pre-TR, it feels like part of our year long anniversary commemoration. (Hey, if WDW can celebrate their 45th bday for a year, so can we - we're 1971 babies - plus our 10th. Not a lot of gay couples can say they've been married that long - unless they're from Massachusetts or went to Canada!)

Anyway, July 15th in the afternoon, we flew to Boston to see one of my faves, Corey Hart. Some artists you just connect with for some reason - his first "flop" album in the US was "Young Man Running" in 1988 - and boy, was that me that year.

(On top of that, he's adorable.) He hadn't toured in the US since the 90's, and I never saw him live. This was a one time deal in an intimate "Town Hall" setting at an historic hotel in Boston, max 220 in attendance. We arrived just in time to check in and make it to the venue, and happened to stand in just the right spot to bypass the crowd and be one of the first through the door.

We made "friends" with another couple from Jersey while waiting in the hall.

View attachment 224065

This random hallway shot happened to include that couple - the bald guy and his wife - don't ask me to remember names LOL.

We entered kind of a holding room (with bars.) Tix included a drink and passed hors d'oeuvres. (Of course we had another drink.)

Just before 9pm, we entered the ballroom.
View attachment 224066

We were in the third row, left side, patiently awaiting...

View attachment 224067

The Little Freaking Mermaid?!

That pic was just for you guys lol.

Here's Ariel, er, Corey:

View attachment 224068
That was from our seat, that's how close we were. (Insert joy emoji I'm too lazy to click on right now.)

Here's a pic dump and then I'll finish typing this when I open up my laptop for the day. I still hate typing more than a small blurb on the phone.
View attachment 224069

monykalyn

Finally caught up- been reading from beginning but don't think I've commented lol! First- love your writing style! Very entertaining!

And also like your "Disney math"- always working on ways to squeeze extra time there :D. We bought APs this month (oldest kid is a college program CM- at CBR! Too bad you changed to AKL:p). Talked my hubs into me taking girls trip because I found super cheap airfare- but I'm going with his mom and sister, first time for Food&Wine and Halloween.

V&A is amazing!! Did that for our 10th anniversary many years ago.
Looking forward to your actual trip report.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Finally caught up- been reading from beginning but don't think I've commented lol! First- love your writing style! Very entertaining!

And also like your "Disney math"- always working on ways to squeeze extra time there :D. We bought APs this month (oldest kid is a college program CM- at CBR! Too bad you changed to AKL:p). Talked my hubs into me taking girls trip because I found super cheap airfare- but I'm going with his mom and sister, first time for Food&Wine and Halloween.

V&A is amazing!! Did that for our 10th anniversary many years ago.
Looking forward to your actual trip report.

Thanks and welcome! You will love F&W.

Random stuff:

IMG_2101.JPG

I'm sure you all see the hidden Mickey I saw when I got my haircut, right?

There is a Disney tie in to my New Orleans trip. Here's the stuff from my welcome package when registering down in the lobby:

IMG_2181.JPG

Yes, One of those things is a hangover kit.

IMG_2180.JPG

But what's on the back of that hand-fan?

IMG_2179.JPG

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Also, I bought a small record collection just before the trip. ( sorry for going out of order LOL.) Including:

IMG_2124.JPG

And the guy threw in this:

IMG_2129.JPG

I left part of my bicycle wheel in the shot for scale. This is a nicely framed piece that he has had for a long time. It's his favorite attraction, he hates to give it up, blah blah blah - gimme! To be hung in the house shortly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom