1st Visit - Overall impressions...

betaztest

Original Poster
Our family (my wife and 2 teenage daughters) returned about 2 weeks ago from our 1st ever trip to Disneyland. We are WDW vets (5 trips in 8 years) so needless to say we had lots of comparisons to make. However, rather than focusing on the individual ride comparisons (i.e. Pirates was better in California) I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed a huge difference in the overall "atmosphere" and "Disney experience" that the two locations offer? We certainly did, and I must say that California was a little disappointing.

Overall, we just didn't feel that same "Disney Magic" as we do in Florida. It may have been a combination of several things, but overall it just wasn't there. At WDW, we always stay at a Disney resort and in California we didn't. That may have been a contributing factor but it was far more than that.

The parks themselves (especially DCA) just seemed to have more of an amusement park feel to them, rather than being "theme parks". There wasn't that feeling that we had been whisked away to an alternate reality where everything is run by a mouse and nothing in life matters except having fun. Even the little things that make WDW so special just weren't there in Anaheim - the Magical Express, the bus rides from the resort to the parks, the fact that you aren't in a city but in Disney. The restaurants in California just seemed like places to eat - not "eating attractions" like they are in Florida. I could go on, but it's hard to explain why there just wasn't that same feeling.....has anyone else felt the same?

I think the biggest thing, and maybe the best way to describe it is this - on our 3rd day at Disneyland we asked a Cast member about that nights performance of Fantasmic. After answering our question, the cast member (who was very friendly) left us with "I'm glad I could help. Have a good night". My wife and I both looked at each other and almost at the same time we both realized - not once in 3 days had anyone, not one person, said to us "Have a magical day!" We never did hear that during our trip to Disneyland and that, above everything else, is disappointing....

TP2000

After answering our question, the cast member (who was very friendly) left us with "I'm glad I could help. Have a good night". My wife and I both looked at each other and almost at the same time we both realized - not once in 3 days had anyone, not one person, said to us "Have a magical day!" We never did hear that during our trip to Disneyland and that, above everything else, is disappointing....

Perfect analogy. But I have to say that's one reason why I like Disneyland so much better.

At WDW, the constant "Have a Magical Day!" phrases seem to be to be so blandly corporate, so forced and phony, so marketing driven and hollow, that it leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. :hurl:

I also find it fascinating that stuff like riding the Disney bus back to Port Orleans is actually a positive trait of WDW for you. I stayed in a Moderate Resort a few years ago without a rental car and had to rely on the WDW bus system. With few exceptions the Disney buses were over-crowded, hot, slow, poorly managed, and only reminded me of when I lived in Boston and had to commute on dirty sewer trains with crazy people. Ever since then I rent a car at WDW and get around that way much faster and easier (and it smells better too).

Staying at Disneyland off-property isn't really the easiest comparison to staying on property at WDW. A better analogy would be staying on I-Drive near WDW. However, I've found the experience at the Grand Californian isn't really a good comparison to staying at, say, the Grand Floridian. At the Grand Californian you are still not taking buses or monorails to the parks or other Resort areas; you're just walking out the lobby and being right at Grizzly River Run or Soarin' in the morning, or in the middle of Downtown Disney in the evening.

But the cheesy MAGICAL! shtick that many WDW CM's think is cute and clever? I'll have to pass on that, thanks. :lol:

Other than the CM vibe and the logistics of Anaheim's Resort District, did you have fun?

cheezbat

Everyone has different tastes....mine are totally more of TP2000's mindset. I always hated how forced the "Have a Magical day" spiel is at WDW. When i worked there they really truly did shove that into our heads to say to guests. Lucky for me I was in entertainment and hardly had to go around with a fake smile saying it. :lol:

How could you look at DCA any less than DHS? I think Hollywood Studios feels like a crappier version of California Adventure...even though DCA is in the middle of a massive overhaul. The one thing I really like about DCA is how a good majority of the big WDW attractions have been placed into this park, to make it a worthy second gate to the best theme park on the planet. I'd take DCA over DHS or DAK any day.

Anyway...each Disney resort, while similar...is different. Hope you still had fun!

TP2000

Everyone has different tastes....mine are totally more of TP2000's mindset. I always hated how forced the "Have a Magical day" spiel is at WDW. When i worked there they really truly did shove that into our heads to say to guests.

And isn't it fascinating how they don't say that at Disneyland?

The same company, run by the same theme park division, in the same country. And they have one property in Florida where "Have a MAGICAL day!" is the auto-pilot phrase approved by Legal and Marketing and Meg Crofton, and drilled into the heads of every new hire. And at the other property in SoCal they have CM's who aren't trained by corporate drones to say the MAGICAL shtick, but instead are allowed to say normal and genuine things like "I'm glad I could help. Have a good night."

I find it fascinating how the two Disney theme park properties in America can be managed and operated so very differently.

Laura

Premium Member
Our family (my wife and 2 teenage daughters) returned about 2 weeks ago from our 1st ever trip to Disneyland. We are WDW vets (5 trips in 8 years) so needless to say we had lots of comparisons to make. However, rather than focusing on the individual ride comparisons (i.e. Pirates was better in California) I wanted to ask if anyone else noticed a huge difference in the overall "atmosphere" and "Disney experience" that the two locations offer? We certainly did, and I must say that California was a little disappointing.

Overall, we just didn't feel that same "Disney Magic" as we do in Florida. It may have been a combination of several things, but overall it just wasn't there. At WDW, we always stay at a Disney resort and in California we didn't. That may have been a contributing factor but it was far more than that.

The parks themselves (especially DCA) just seemed to have more of an amusement park feel to them, rather than being "theme parks". There wasn't that feeling that we had been whisked away to an alternate reality where everything is run by a mouse and nothing in life matters except having fun. Even the little things that make WDW so special just weren't there in Anaheim - the Magical Express, the bus rides from the resort to the parks, the fact that you aren't in a city but in Disney. The restaurants in California just seemed like places to eat - not "eating attractions" like they are in Florida. I could go on, but it's hard to explain why there just wasn't that same feeling.....has anyone else felt the same?

I think the biggest thing, and maybe the best way to describe it is this - on our 3rd day at Disneyland we asked a Cast member about that nights performance of Fantasmic. After answering our question, the cast member (who was very friendly) left us with "I'm glad I could help. Have a good night". My wife and I both looked at each other and almost at the same time we both realized - not once in 3 days had anyone, not one person, said to us "Have a magical day!" We never did hear that during our trip to Disneyland and that, above everything else, is disappointing....

Disneyland is full of locals who visit often. They don't really need a one of a kind, magical experience every time they visit. They are just looking for something to do for entertainment on that particular day. That may explain the difference in atmosphere.

The thing that makes Disneyland more magical for me is the fact that it IS full of people who are there all the time. Because of that, there's a lot less "dumb tourists". There's no fighting for parade spots or fireworks spots. In fact, you can walk up 30 seconds before the fireworks start and have enough space around you to do a cartwheel. People are a lot less pushy and a lot more patient. Everyone's been on all the rides and seen all the shows a million times, so there's no reason to knock people over to get the 'best spot'. Makes for a much more relaxing day.

StageFrenzy

How could you look at DCA any less than DHS? I think Hollywood Studios feels like a crappier version of California Adventure...even though DCA is in the middle of a massive overhaul. The one thing I really like about DCA is how a good majority of the big WDW attractions have been placed into this park, to make it a worthy second gate to the best theme park on the planet. I'd take DCA over DHS or DAK any day.

I feel like if you pushed the two parks together you might have a passable single park. I have never been to DCA but it looks like it had some bright spots before the remodel and will be significantly better afterwords. I love the Carthay Circle Theater is becoming the Symbol. I wish they would redo the Chinese theater in DHS to Carthay and loose the hat of course.

Communicore

I feel the opposite. I think DL is more magical as Walt himself walked in the park. Also the place is more intimate and chock-full of rides and experiences!

wilkeliza

I agree that the parks are very different but I don't think one is more "magical" than the other.

Like others have said DL is full of locals and the pace is very slow and easy going. I remember in one of those corny 90s sitcoms (step by step i think) the oldest son was trying to beat the record of the fastest time to ride all the ride is a Disney park. Looking back that had to be Disney Land (pre-CA) because the park was portrayed as busy but it was always manageable for him. In Disney World no one would ever be able to claim some sort of record for riding all the rides in a day because too many time the popular rides have 90 plus minute waits.

I do have to say I enjoyed my character greetings at Disneyland more than WDW because they seemed organic. You would be walking along and suddenly there are Chip and Dale with no line what-so-ever or and there is Mickey with only 4 kids in line. It could have change in the past 7 years but that was my observation.

Walt Disney World has so many more parks and so much more to experience though that it is hard to compare them. I enjoy being able to have breakfast in one park and dinner in another.

Mukta

Like others have said DL is full of locals and the pace is very slow and easy going. I remember in one of those corny 90s sitcoms (step by step i think) the oldest son was trying to beat the record of the fastest time to ride all the ride is a Disney park. Looking back that had to be Disney Land (pre-CA) because the park was portrayed as busy but it was always manageable for him. In Disney World no one would ever be able to claim some sort of record for riding all the rides in a day because too many time the popular rides have 90 plus minute waits.

I have to disagree with this. Disneyland has way more attractions that the MK. I could see riding everything in the MK in a day, but DL would be tougher.

Jakester

I have to disagree with this. Disneyland has way more attractions that the MK. I could see riding everything in the MK in a day, but DL would be tougher.

I can get to Magic Kingdom at 10:00am, and be done with EVERY attraction/show atleast once by 7pm or 8pm, and have time for a 9pm MSEP, 9:45/10:35pm MMY n 10pm Fireworks and still stay till closing (11pm - 1am regular). Thank you Handicap pass *Im not handicap, but someone in my family we bring and he has a seasonal pass*

Mukta

I'm so sorry to hear that you didn't find your trip as magical as a trip to WDW.

We are locals and the magic never dies for us. There are so many details to be found in DL.
I feel that DL has more theming than the MK. Did you see the light show in Pixie Hollow?
Did you think the IASW building was beautiful? Did you notice the famous landmarks on the building? Did you see the film in the opera house depicting the history of Disneyland?

Most of the Counter Service restaurants are comparable to the MK CS.
The Blue Bayou is a great table service option. Did you eat at the Blue Bayou and relax by the water?
Did you visit the Tiki Bar in the hotel? All of the drinks are named after details found only in Adventureland (like Rosita)

Since there are so many locals visiting, I'm sure it comes across as less of a vacation resort and more of a local park. Especially if you stay offsite.

I hope you enjoyed our nighttime shows. I am particularly proud of those.

cbconglom

my wife and i have only been once and my wife literally listed all those reasons you did for liking wdw better. she just didn't feel the magic.. i really enjoyed it

KingdomofDreams

There are so many details to be found in DL.
I feel that DL has more theming than the MK. Did you see the light show in Pixie Hollow?
Did you think the IASW building was beautiful? Did you notice the famous landmarks on the building? Did you see the film in the opera house depicting the history of Disneyland?

Most of the Counter Service restaurants are comparable to the MK CS.
The Blue Bayou is a great table service option. Did you eat at the Blue Bayou and relax by the water?
Did you visit the Tiki Bar in the hotel? All of the drinks are named after details found only in Adventureland (like Rosita)

Thank you for listing a few (of what I'm sure are many!) charming details at Disneyland. We're really looking forward to our trip next summer and I'm keeping a list of these things to try to experience as many of them as possible. Anything else you'd care to share would be very appreciated. Is there a film depicting the history of DL? I thought the presentation there was "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln". I'd love for the kids to see a film about the history of the park at the outset of the trip. I think it would really set the stage and bring the meaning alive for them.

I haven't been to DL in 5 years, and before that it was many years, but the one thing I noticed was how beautiful and completely charming the park is. The pristine state of the park, the beautiful lush landscaping, New Orleans Square (one of my personal favorites), and the countless special and magical details to see and experience throughout the park.

DL isn't isolated as WDW is, but once in the park, the magic is everywhere. I agree with everyone else about staying offsite. You can't compare staying onsite at WDW with staying offsite at DL. We stayed at the DL Hotel and felt it went a long way to keeping us more immersed in the Disney experience. We walked out of the hotel each morning and strolled through DTD and into the parks. I do agree that DCA really lacked the Disney magic. It didn't feel like a Disney park at all. I'm so happy it's being completely redone. From everything I've seen and read (much of it thanks to the great people sharing so much here on this forum!), it looks like it's going to be a really great, Disney-worthy park at it's completion.

I guess I can't relate to equating the Disney magic to riding on buses. We've never used Magical Express and up until our trip last year, had never set foot on a Disney bus. It was a convenience and served a purpose for us on that particular trip, but I don't know we'd ever choose to use it again. I can honestly say it didn't enhance the magic of our time at the resort at all.

Disneyfanman

My wife feels the same way, that she isn't transported from our real life to, well......Disney. I think DL Park is the absolute best park in the world, but I do get the feeling of being somewhere else that you really get at WDW. It's kind of like going to Hawaii vs. Key West in my mind. To me both have the same kind of feel, but you really get taken away in Maui.

So to me, they are really two different experiences that are best if not compared and contrasted in terms of the overall experience. And I really feel like DL is better run, better managed, and better maintained then WDW.

Mukta

Thank you for listing a few (of what I'm sure are many!) charming details at Disneyland. We're really looking forward to our trip next summer and I'm keeping a list of these things to try to experience as many of them as possible. Anything else you'd care to share would be very appreciated. Is there a film depicting the history of DL? I thought the presentation there was "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln". I'd love for the kids to see a film about the history of the park at the outset of the trip. I think it would really set the stage and bring the meaning alive for them.

In the lobby of the opera house, they are showing the DL history movie that they made for the 50th anniversary. It shows on a small screen, but I think it is the perfect way to start a day at DL.
I have a million tips! Let me know how many days and the ages of people going.

DisneyPhD

We just returned from DL a few weeks ago as well. We felt very immersed and did not feel like we were in the middle of a city at all BUT we were staying at the DL hotel. We loved not having to take a bus to get to any of the parks. It was bit like staying at BC or BW but better since both parks were a short walk away (both from the hotel and each other).

One thought that MrsPhD kept coming back to is that WDW seems to have become a competitive sport for so many (I stayed this long... I did all the rides by 10:30am... I got this ressie 180 days out... I went to all 4 parks today... I drank at every country in Epcot...) We didn't get that feeling at DL at all. As others said, it was much more laid back (except the line for Star Tours, that was crazy with FP gone by 10am every day). We ate all of our meals by walking up with two exceptions when we made reservations an hour ahead. DCA was one big construction zone so it was difficult to get that Disney Magic feeling there but it was still fun (we spent 90% of our DCA time in the Paradise Pier area). We also didn't get the feel of homogenization that has plagued WDW of late. Restaurants had many more unique items although the kids meals were pretty much the same everywhere. Prices even seemed more reasonable.

kch4095

As WDW veterans, we were excited to visit DL for the first time back in June. We loved the parks and attractions, but missed the "warm fuzzies" you get when being at WDW. When you say you can't describe it in words, I totally understand. It was just a feeling that was missing. I thought all the rides were great and didn't feel like we missed out in that department at all. In fact, we are wishing WDW would get an Indiana Jones ride! I think because the parks at DL are so small and condensed, I missed the open space feel and leisurely strolling of WDW. The scale of Sleeping Beauty's castle was also a bit of a disappointment that left us with a "that's it?" kind of feeling. Overall, I am so happy we got to experience Walt's park, but that will probably be our last trip to DL.

KingdomofDreams

In the lobby of the opera house, they are showing the DL history movie that they made for the 50th anniversary. It shows on a small screen, but I think it is the perfect way to start a day at DL.
I have a million tips! Let me know how many days and the ages of people going.

You rock Mukta! Thanks so much. Nothing is set in stone yet, but I expect to have 3-3.5 days devoted to DL and DCA. We'll be staying at the DL hotel and ages in addition to myself, are 18 (girl), 11 and 10 (boys). We're all die-hard Disney fans and love everything from Dumbo to ToT.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom