1st timers --> POR or POF

dongill

I am getting ready to take the family to Disney World for the first time. We are veterans of Disneyland in Ca, but are thrilled at the chance at visiting the "big" park. We are planning the trip for either the first or second week December (2003).

We intend to stay in the world and have narrowed our choices to the moderates, hence our delimma. There are 5 of us in all (myself, wife, 11 yo, 9 yo and 2 yo). With 5 of use we are limited to POR or POF. With the 2 yo, our biggest concern is the ability to get back to the hotel room to take a break (or whatever reason). Talking to the Travel Agent, it seems that it can take up to an hour depending on where you are starting from.

Does this sound right?

I know that you can take the boat over to the transit center and from there anywhere...but an hour?

SpongeScott

If by POF you mean French Quarter, it's closing for a major rehab. So, now you are in POR. I don't believe the boat will take you to the parks--only to Downtown Disney. Your options of getting to the parks are bus or car. It could take up to an hour with the bus, depending on the schedules and when you hit them. 10 minutes if you go by car.

Upvote 0

DVCgirl49

Hi!

Three things....

#1. POFQ is closing on May 4th for a two year rehab, so that won't be a possibility til like May of 2005.

#2. I've gone to WDW many many times, and other than park closing, or really crowded times of the year, I haven't had it take an hour to get back. More like 30 min. But Like I said, it depends on time of day and such.

#3. Since you are starting your research now, and have a little bit of time to play with, you might check out other options like staying at one of the home away from home resorts or renting points from a DVC member. The DVC resorts have kitchens and plenty of space which might be helpful for little ones. Check out OKW, they have some of the largest accomodations, it is very reasonable priced, and you can park your car right in front of your home. If you have any questions about this type of option, you can PM me and I'll be happy to answer whatever I can!

Good luck and happy trip planning!
:wave:

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

I guess it depends on you kiddie, but we took our 13 month old last year, staying at PO:RS, and we never experienced any real problems with getting back to the hotel.

Normally it was between 10 & 30 minutes, depending on where we were at the time.

Plus the parks are excellent for facilities and our little one was happy to nap in her buggie.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

One more thing, whilst PO:RS 'Waterview' rooms do have a nice outlook, they are generally the furthest from the car park.

For us that was the biggest problem as two kids, a buggie and assorted diaper bags and other stuff could be quite a handful, especially when the little ones fall asleep.

I would suggest a ground floor room, near to the parking lot of the block you're in. The view may not be the best on site, but it certainly makes for a much easier life when the kids are all funned out...

Upvote 0

dongill

Original Poster
Thanks!

The Disney site is still accepting reservations at PO:FQ for the December time frame..weird. I guess with them shutting it down, that does solve my question --> Riverside here I come!

I am pleased to hear that it only took you (Catchh22) 10 to 30 minutes to get around using the bus. What time of year was that?

I guess we have gotten spoiled at Disneyland where we could take the monorail (or just walk) back to the Disneyland resort in about 10 minutes. What a god-send for a tuckered out 2 yo. in the middle of the day.

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

As I think someone said, closing time was the worst. I would recommend heading out of the park a good hour before closing because then it can become a bit of a crush, especially at MK with the boats and the Monorails.

That said, when all three boats are running it can be amazingly quick considering the numbers of people thy're shifting about.

10 minutes was from MGM, but that is pretty close to PO.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom