1st timer ideas

Kellylynn322

Someone please help me with some ideas for great relatively inexpensive things to do. :confused:

My husband and I are bringing my Aunt, and 2 cousins with us. We have been there many times but they have never been. My 1 cousin is 15 and he is excited but not nearly as excited as the 10 year old girl who is already packing for August.

We want to make their trip the best it can be. We are staying in the Wilderness cabins for 5 nights and I will be getting then the Ultimate Park Hoppers. I want to be able to do as much as possible with them but have no ideas on what to do to make their 1st trip really memorable.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
  • Do some character breakfasts or dinners. Even the teen will enjoy them. My favorite is the Liberty Tree Inn in MK for dinner. It one of the best times I've had for dinner in the realm of just having fun.
  • Try some of the tours that the kids can go on.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

As a Disney veteran, you already know that outside of park passes, the biggest expenses you'll run into will be food and souvenirs. At that age, our kids still liked character breakfasts, but did NOT enjoy sit-down restaurants at lunch and dinner, so we didn't spend money on things we knew wouldn't be fun for all. Spend the first two days showing the kids around the parks, experiencing as much as possible with them (remember, it'll be overwhelming!), and then let them head out on their own a bit the third day or so, if you're comfortable doing that. With meeting times and places established, they might really enjoy riding Space Mountain a gazillion times on their own! In conversation with our kids now that they're a bit older, they always tell us how much they loved those "free" times.

The third and fourth years we went back, we signed our kids up for the "Wonders" programs (not sure if that's what they're called now), and they LOVED them. I think those programs are best appreciated by kids who've had plently of time to explore the parks on previous visits, though, and thus aren't distracted by "Wow, what's that ride? I wanna go on it!":)

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Take atvantage of the park hoppers and your entertainment is already paid for. There is soooo much to do aready paid for in the park hoppers. Make sure to hit both water parks, early in the trip, the kids like like them so much they may want to do them a few times. (especially at that age.) I have never been to Disney quest, but teenages also love that place and down town Disney too.

There are many great restrants and fun things to do at the resorts, be sure to visist a few if you have the time.

Be sure to relax and just enjoy being there with family and being on vaction.

For the 1st timers I would skip the behind the senes tours and such, there is enough to do already and don't overwhellem them.

Upvote 0
I know this is mentioned all over the place, but ARRIVE AT THE PARKS EARLY! Nothing is worse than bringing a "newbie" to WDW and immediately seeing 30-90 minute waits. A good general plan is this:

Be at the gates 30-60 minutes before opening (depending on how busy the season is). Enjoy a bunch of big-line attractions right when the park opens, then get Fastpasses as the lines start to build, and go on the shorter-wait attractions while you wait for your Fastpass times.Next, head back to the hotel for a swim or nap around noon-1:00-ish, then go back to the park in the late afternoon (4:00-ish), after the crowds start to dwindle. Enjoy the double-magic of being in the parks at night!

You just need to convince newbies that arriving early is worth it, and you can sleep in the afternoon when everyone else is waiting in line. (Some newbies are very skeptical at first, I've learned)

Also, if you want a character meal, I'd suggest a late breakfast (brunch?) at Chef Mickeys in the Contemporary on a day when the Magic Kingdom is open early. The last breakfast seating is 11:15 AM. You go to the Magic Kingdom at early opening time (say, 8:00), enjoy the empty park for an hour, the relatively-empty park for another hour-and-a-half, then go have a leisurely brunch once the crowds have packed the park.

Upvote 0

BRER STITCH

Just some tips....

Don't ruin your vacation by trying to be the ultimate tour guide.

As mentioned here earlier, JUST BEING IN WDW is overwhelming excitement enough for a first-timer! They will have a blast whether someone is there showing them around or not! THEY'RE KIDS! :)

The best advice I can give you is this.....let them discover the park for the first time WITH you - not BECAUSE OF you! You can guide them to certain areas, make some dinner reservations, etc, but it's important for them to experience the magic AS IT HAPPENS to them!

When I think back to the many people I have taken to WDW for their first visit, it was always when they helped ME discover something I had never experienced or seen that we had the best time and memories!

They will appreciate not being told what to do and when to do it, and you will not be under the pressure of having to live up to the great burden of satisfying somebody ELSE'S happiness at the Happiest Place on Earth!

Most of all....DONT OVERDUE IT! Many people make the mistake of trying to squeeze everything in on their first visit. This will be exhausting! Save some magic for next year.......Its a great excuse to come back again and discover even more!

:lol:

Upvote 0

cindy_k

DQ! If you have ultimate Parkhoppers be sure to go to downtown Disney and visit Disney Quest!

Especially if you love Video games at all. Its essentially a huge video arcade with lots of extras, and the games are free inside.

They charge admission into the building, but it is included in the UPH.

Have a Good Time!!

Cindy

Upvote 0

kimrn87

Just remember to be flexible!! We always do the parks that are not everyones favorites first and do the favorites toward the end. But then it depends on what days you will be there. The parades are great and everyone usually loves them.

Chef Mickey's is my favorite character meal.........take time to get autographs and pics with your favorite character (it never matters what age you are)

Don't forget the maps at the parks they are a lifesaver!! Invest in a guidebook before you go!!!

Have lots of fun!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Epcot is my fav

one tip that works wonders......do some parks with everyone...but allow 1 or 2 days just to let the kids go around together.....and the adults to go around together....it works so well......that way every1 is happy cuz they can do what they want over again.....we have done this for over 10 years...it works wonders for every1:)

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

I agree with figmentmom's advice about the meals. Four adults for a sit down restaurant dinner, after beverages and tip, can easily cost some major $$$. Is the 10 year old girl into the princess thing? It might be ultra special for her (and maybe your aunt) to have the character breakfast at the castle. Really hard to make a PS, but if you think she would enjoy the idea of having breakfast in *gasp* Cinderella's Castle, that might add some real magic for her.

If you haven't looked at them, you may want to pick up an Unofficial Guide Book to help plan some possible schedules. Now before anyone stomps this idea into the ground, consider these points: the Unofficial Guide Book really does offer excellent schedules for avoiding long lines. This can be very helpful for first timers to feel more of the magic, than feeling the wait of 90 minute lines. Also, the schedules are not written in stone: change them to fit your needs, but so you can still follow the basic suggestions to avoid the long lines. And August will have lines.

Another point, being August, one of the water parks will be a welcome diversion. But that's less time away from the main parks. I really think a good schedule will help you with getting the most out of their first time trip.

As far as inexpensive, make sure you find time to take in a performance of the barbershop quartet on Main Street. Try to catch the show with Merlin in Fantasyland. Look up some hidden Mickey's on the web, and point some of them out to your relatives. Then tell them there is one on a certain ride, or in the landscape, and ask them if they can find Mickey. Split your party up at the monorail gate, and see if you can get your aunt and cousins up with the monorail pilot. Find time to go by Downtown Disney and do some shopping. If not much is purchased, that's okay - your relatives can go back home and tell everyone they were in the world's largest Disney store!

I'm sure you'll think of some yourself, and get more from other members. Whatever you wind up doing, have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

secretsquirrel

I recommend for the 1st timer

Get a 7-7:30 reservation at the restaurant in EPCOT: England ( I forget the name of it). When you get there ask to be seated outside so you have view of the lake and Laser/Firework show. Make sure to tell them you don't mind waiting for a seat outside. This way you can get a cocktail or soda at the bar or outside the restaurant, enjoy a nice meal and by the time you finish, you are in an excellent place for the Laser/Firework show. I've done this on every trip and when bringing friends/family there for the 1st time, they end up loving it. Try to do this on a night other than Friday, as that seems to be a busier night.

Attachments

• ss1a.gif
    ss1a.gif
    14.1 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom