1st time @Old Key West

Iwannabeindisney89

Original Poster
Looking for some advice with this resort, we're used to beach club villas so not sure what to expect because it looks a bit "spaced out". We will be staying for two weeks at the end of August in a 2br. We'd like to check in online, but not sure which "room requests" to pick. We're not traveling with any kids, 1 teenager, a couple of 20 somethings, and mom & dad. We enjoy being close to the main food area/pool, at least within walking distance. The older kids enjoy being able to go to the pool and order some drinks while they lay out, which is why I was thinking our most important request would be to be close to the hospitality house? Aside from that, everything else is just based on others suggestions. Like should we do a bottom floor because of the steps, or a top floor because of the views from the balconies (which we plan to use a lot.) Theres also an option for canal view, or fairway view. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

anchorman314

I don't know the exact request options that are available online, but if you are looking for something close to the main buildings, either request near the Hospitality House or near Penninsular Road. That is the first bus stop into the resort. So after a long day in the park, you're the first off the bus. And going to parks, you have the option of being the first on the bus and taking the bus tour of the resort, or walking a short distance to the HH stop and getting on at the last stop before the bus heads out. (This runs the risk of a full bus, though, so be aware of that.)

Nero the dog

If you request an upper floor you could end up with 4 flights of stairs to climb after a long day in the parks.
Some of the buildings are 3 stories, it's a long way to carry your suit case.
I think most of the properties have a golf course view, so unless you particularly want to see the canal I wouldn't worry about requesting that. In fact most of the rooms that have a canal view are the furthest away from Hospitality house.

MarieTA

OKW is very spread out and the 2 times we stayed there I requested a room near the hospitality house for the reasons you want it. If you aren't close to it, the bus rides at coming back from the parks can be very long since you go through the entire property.

I liked being off the ground floor to see the view. Once we had a fairway/water view and it was gorgeous. It was like living on a beautiful golf course. It sounds like you'll have plenty of helpers to lug the luggage up the stairs. Enjoy your stay!

Obi

there are a couple of buildings, close to the hh, that do have elevators in them. the rest of the buildings in the resort do not have elevators. can't remember the building #'s. perhaps someone else can.

Obi

did a quick search and it looks like buildings 62, 63, and 64 are the ones that have the elevators in them.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would ask for near HH, and hope that you are in bldgs. 23-29. If they have already assigned you somewhere else, you can always ask to be moved. We recently stayed in 29, and it was a short walk to the bus or main bldg. Very convenient. We were in a 3bdr gv, so did not have the option for 1st floor, since those start on the 2nd, and extend to the 3rd floor.

Iwannabeindisney89

Original Poster
I don't know the exact request options that are available online, but if you are looking for something close to the main buildings, either request near the Hospitality House or near Penninsular Road. That is the first bus stop into the resort. So after a long day in the park, you're the first off the bus. And going to parks, you have the option of being the first on the bus and taking the bus tour of the resort, or walking a short distance to the HH stop and getting on at the last stop before the bus heads out. (This runs the risk of a full bus, though, so be aware of that.)

Unfortunately there is no "hospitality house" option under requests. I have Millers Road area, South point road area, peninsular road, and old turtle pond road. Do you think I'm better off asking at check in and not bothering checking any of these off?

Iwannabeindisney89

Original Poster
OKW is very spread out and the 2 times we stayed there I requested a room near the hospitality house for the reasons you want it. If you aren't close to it, the bus rides at coming back from the parks can be very long since you go through the entire property.

I liked being off the ground floor to see the view. Once we had a fairway/water view and it was gorgeous. It was like living on a beautiful golf course. It sounds like you'll have plenty of helpers to lug the luggage up the stairs. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks! I think we probably will be requesting a room thats not on the first floor. We plan on relaxing and sitting out on the balcony a lot so fingers crossed for a nice view.

Iwannabeindisney89

Original Poster
did a quick search and it looks like buildings 62, 63, and 64 are the ones that have the elevators in them.
We weren't too concerned about the steps because we dont plan on spending all day in the parks/being worn out this vacation. However if we do pull a full day my dad sometimes has serious knee issues and it takes a toll on him. Thanks, ill keep this in mind!

Last edited:

Iwannabeindisney89

Original Poster
I would ask for near HH, and hope that you are in bldgs. 23-29. If they have already assigned you somewhere else, you can always ask to be moved. We recently stayed in 29, and it was a short walk to the bus or main bldg. Very convenient. We were in a 3bdr gv, so did not have the option for 1st floor, since those start on the 2nd, and extend to the 3rd floor.

How easy/difficult is it to request a building once you're there? When we stay at the beach club with other families we usually all go to the front desk and ask if its possible to be in the same wing as each other. It takes some time but we always seem to get lucky and they okay it. On the other hand we've stayed at Caribbean Beach for shorter stays and when we request specific buildings at check in they've always said it wasnt possible/full. I guess its different at each resort? I also know Caribbean is very popular amongst the moderates so that might have been a factor. Ive never noticed busy waits at OKW stops at the parks so I assumed it wasnt one to always fill up.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Unfortunately there is no "hospitality house" option under requests. I have Millers Road area, South point road area, peninsular road, and old turtle pond road. Do you think I'm better off asking at check in and not bothering checking any of these off?
I would go with Peninsular Road. That is where we stayed. It is the first bus stop, and still only a 5 minute walk to the main pool and other amenities.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
How easy/difficult is it to request a building once you're there? When we stay at the beach club with other families we usually all go to the front desk and ask if its possible to be in the same wing as each other. It takes some time but we always seem to get lucky and they okay it. On the other hand we've stayed at Caribbean Beach for shorter stays and when we request specific buildings at check in they've always said it wasnt possible/full. I guess its different at each resort? I also know Caribbean is very popular amongst the moderates so that might have been a factor. Ive never noticed busy waits at OKW stops at the parks so I assumed it wasnt one to always fill up.
I don't know about asking for a particular building. The chances are very slim that something would be available. An area, such as Peninsular Road would be easier.

As to the buses, when we were there in early May (not a busy time at the parks), there were a few mornings that the bus completely filled up before we even got to the HH bus stop, and the driver simply called dispatch to let them know he had to skip, and to send another bus. Since we were the first stop, we always got on.

asialeigh

I would request something before hand. If you're doing online check in make sure you don't check off prefer a room thats ready upon arrival if you want some specific building or view because you will then just get whatever is available. If you request something specific beforehand they will usually preselect you for a room that can best meet what you want if it is available. If you wait until you check in you have a less likely chance of getting what you want unless the resort doesn't have a high occupancy rate while you are there.

Iwannabeindisney89

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone. We will probably pick either millers road area or peninsular road and ask to be as close as possible to hospitality house once we check in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom