1st time DLR or stick with what you know WDW ?

Mr_Incredible

Hey all!

My family and I have been to WDW multiple times, and really enjoy staying on site, enjoying the pools, and taking advantage of Disney Dinning to eat at places we never could before.

However, with our next trip planning underway, we brought up the topic of going to California, and doing a Disneyland trip.

We did research, watched videos, looked at pictures, and got a budget moving. After seeing the total price my wife comes to me with a Port Orleans vacation package, tickets, etc...and it was for longer, and only 2-300 more.

So the natural question and fears set in:

Do we go with what we know and love, and do another POR trip to WDW? Or do we take the risk, and pay a lot and HOPE we have a great time at DLR?

We've never been to California so we're nervous to take that leap. Anyone have the same scenario? What's the advice from people that have been to both?

Thanks!!!

Californian Elitist

Flying out Sunday (east coast) and coming back Saturday. Maybe 3 park days total? Possibly Knott Berry

I would make it add other activities to your intinerary, like a visit to Los Angeles, San Diego, etc. We haven't updated it in a long time, but we have a thread specifically about the plethora of other things to do in Southern California, other than Disneyland.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

You're coming from the east coast, so a trip to WDW will most likely always be more expensive than a trip to the DLR. If you're genuinely interested in seeing Disneyland, book a trip. If you keep comparing prices, you'll probably never end up going. I myself live just 30 minutes from Disneyland, so trip to WDW will obviously cost me lots and lots more, but I'm willing to pay the price because I genuinely would like to visit.

This is my opinion, I hope this sort of helps. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you and your family have a good time and enjoy yourselves. :)

Upvote 0

Mr_Incredible

Original Poster
I would make it add other activities to your intinerary, like a visit to Los Angeles, San Diego, etc. We haven't updated it in a long time, but we have a thread specifically about the plethora of other things to do in Southern California, other than Disneyland.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

You're coming from the east coast, so a trip to WDW will most likely always be more expensive than a trip to the DLR. If you're genuinely interested in seeing Disneyland, book a trip. If you keep comparing prices, you'll probably never end up going. I myself live just 30 minutes from Disneyland, so trip to WDW will obviously cost me lots and lots more, but I'm willing to pay the price because I genuinely would like to visit.

This is my opinion, I hope this sort of helps. Whatever you choose to do, I hope you and your family have a good time and enjoy yourselves. :)

That's great, Raven! Thank you!

Upvote 0

JillC LI

We've been to WDW many times and love it, but in 2014 we took the plunge and travelled to the west coast instead. In addition to touring LA and visiting family, we spent one day at DCA and one day at DLR, and we loved it. Last summer we went to Disneyland Paris for a day during our family's first European trip. I say go for it. It is great fun to visit other Disney parks if you have the opportunity. And now we are looking forward to going back to WDW for the first time since 2012 and seeing all the new offerings. It's a win-win.

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

We LOVED our trip to Disneyland! We got a So-Cal City Pass - which included days at Disney (3), Universal Hollywood, Sea World and the San Diego zoo. We felt this was the perfect amount of time for our family.

We stayed at Paradise Pier and loved how everything Disney was within walking distance. Our kids schedules have become more and more busy - but they have recently asked when we can make it back out to CA... I was so excited. I can't wait to plan another trip out that way.

I did a trip report when we went - here it is if you are interested.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disneyland-and-so-much-more-in-so-cal-trip-report.872191/

Upvote 0

carriebeth

Haven't been to Disneyland but have several friends/family that have gone recently after doing many WDW trips prior. Everyone's opinion seemed to be the same: It was a great experience. Glad we went. Would we go back again. Probably not or not very soon. Bring on WDW.

Upvote 0

Mickey81

We had been to WDW numerous times as a family, and had talked about going to DL for the history. We finally used the 60th celebration as the push to just do it. We are so glad we did, and are already planning a return. While WDW will always be "home" for us, DL is just special and truly magical. It's so relaxed, and such a different pace.

Upvote 0

niffer5150

dl and wdw are two very different experiences. i too live right by dl, but we make the trek to wdw because it's so different. different experiences make us appreciate what we have AND give us new things to love. now i have two favorite places to be.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Never been to DL but if I had the option I'd go to DL and experience a different Disney. Yes you are comfortable with WDW because its someplace you know well but life is about trying new things and growing in experiences. As long as you prepare and plan well, dont spend your time making comparisons or looking to find things wrong... just enjoy it, you should have a great time. Take the trip. If you do find DL falls short of your expectations, at least you tried it out and youll appreciate WDW that much more.

Upvote 0

MotherofaPrincessLover

Definitely go to Disneyland. We went in April and just loved it. We spent 4 days in the parks and I honestly could've spent more time in the parks (having to do rider switch can sure eat up a lot of time). We will definitely be returning to DL someday.

Upvote 0

Mickey5150

I go to WDW every year and have started to go to DLR every other year. Just as the size of WDW is a big part of what makes it special, the small size of DLR really does allow you to go anywhere on property whenever you want. As far as cost, I always stay on property at WDW but at DLR I prefer to stay at the Best Western across the street. Free breakfast and wifi, and it is just across the street and much cheaper than the DLR hotels. DLR is an experience not to be missed.

Upvote 0

TiggerDad

We usually do WDW but really enjoyed seeing a different Disney experience. DL and DCA are very different from WDW, but mostly in a good way. Rides and attractions are packed on top of each other more densely than in Florida, so there are more things to do per park. The two parks are adjacent, so it is very easy to hop back and forth. The non-Disney hotels are far cheaper, and also much closer, so I would recommend those. There are plenty of things that you won't find in WDW that are worth the trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom