1st Disney Cruise! Heck, my 1st cruise EVER!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just to add to this, as the OP is a first time cruises. This is nothing like checking your bags at an airport. DCL has sent you tags for your bags with your room number on them. You put those on the bags you are going to drop off. DO NOT PUT THINGS LIKE YOUR ID, OR MEDICATION, OR ANYTHING IMPORTANT IN YOUR DROP OFF BAGS. Once you drop them off, you are not going to see them again until they get delivered to your stateroom. If you put your passport in your drop off luggage, then you are not getting on the ship (at least not without a MAJOR hassle).

Now, you have your tags on your bags to drop off, and nothing important in them. When you pull up to the curb, there will be a bunch of DCL workers there with luggage carts. they will take your bags, give them a cursory glance to make sure you have tags on them, throw them on a cart, and then .... that's it (It is nice to tip them). There is no receipt, there is no scanning of your document, there is nothing like that. You give them your bags, and you go away. Do not worry. This is how the process works, for all cruises,. and it works well. Your bags will show up at your stateroom as long as you put your tags on them.

It can be disconcerting for first time cruisers who are used to all that goes with checking bags at an airport.

-dave

They do search the bags you drop off. I had an item removed that wasn't allowed - a power strip which I've packed on several prior cruises and that's the first time it was removed from my luggage. But it was returned when we got off the ship. It delayed that bag being delivered to our room. Live and learn.

ToTBellHop

Honest question: why do cruises keep stopping at Nassau? More than any other port, I read how much people despise Nassau and how many stay on the ship. So why take passengers there? Just because it’s close to Florida and can dock several ships? It seems many would prefer a day at sea.

Side point: does it cost cruiselines more to power a ship for a day at sea or to dock at a port (Nassau in particular)?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Honest question: why do cruises keep stopping at Nassau? More than any other port, I read how much people despise Nassau and how many stay on the ship. So why take passengers there? Just because it’s close to Florida and can dock several ships? It seems many would prefer a day at sea.

Side point: does it cost cruiselines more to power a ship for a day at sea or to dock at a port (Nassau in particular)?
No official idea, but it is pretty safe to say that is is one of 2 things.

1. They are under some sort of contract to do it.
2. They still are turning a profit from it.

EDIT: Just pulled up this article
https://www.sun-sentinel.com/busine...cruise-passenger-spending-20181022-story.html

Wendy Pleakley

I’d be more inclined to skip those tourist trap ports more often due to how expensive Disney cruises have gotten.

If I’m paying a premium to be on a Disney ship I’d definitely consider staying onboard to get my “money’s worth”.

On cheaper cruises or ones with interesting ports, I’m paying for the destinations. With Disney, I’m paying for the Disney experience.

There are far cheaper options if your goal is to sail to Nassau and visit a beach or water park.

Owl X

Castaway Cay is leased from the Bahamian government.
Disney's Ships are registered out of the Bahamas:
Disney probably has a contract with the Bahamian government that requires a certain number of stops at Bahamian ports in order to keep the ships registered and maintain the Castaway Cay lease.

Nassau was probably chosen as it is port where the ships can dock rather than use tenders.

Tony the Tigger

Any locals have experience with last minute discounted cruises? Or do the Disney ones usually fill up?

I remembered hearing something about this awhile back, kind of a standby situation at low rates, but I don't remember if it was DCL.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Any locals have experience with last minute discounted cruises? Or do the Disney ones usually fill up?

I remembered hearing something about this awhile back, kind of a standby situation at low rates, but I don't remember if it was DCL.
They are fairly few and far between. It is my understanding that nearly all of the 3-4 night cruises go out full save for the off season. 7 night cruises have a little more last minute availability. Mousesavers typically has a list. https://www.mousesavers.com/disney-cruise-tips/disney-cruise-line-discounts-and-deals/#lastmindcl

Typically, the lowest price you will see on a Disney cruise is the one that is released when the itinerary comes out. They tend to go up from there the closer you get to the sail date.

About the only DCL cruise type that seems to be regularly discounted are the relocation cruises, but they require you to leave from one port and end at another (e.g. start at port Canaveral end in Vancouver)

Herdman

They do search the bags you drop off. I had an item removed that wasn't allowed - a power strip which I've packed on several prior cruises and that's the first time it was removed from my luggage. But it was returned when we got off the ship. It delayed that bag being delivered to our room. Live and learn.

Can you lock your bags with the same TSA approved locks you can use when you fly?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Can you lock your bags with the same TSA approved locks you can use when you fly?

Yes, you can. I do.

#11 in June...hello, new lanyard! And free Palo, so recent price increase won't affect me. 😁

OP, you've already gotten all the good advice, tips, etc. So I don't have much to add.

I never get off the ship in Nassau. Especially on a 3-nighter, your time is better spent on the Dream (so aptly named!) Use the day to play a round of mini-golf on Goofy 's Sports Deck, see a movie if there's a current or recent Disney release you haven't seen or want to see again, or just explore the ship. Now that Palo brunch is offered in Nassau day, do that, although it's adults only do you'd have to send the kids to the club. On embarkation day, after lunch and before the ship leaves port, adults can tour the kids clubs. A must if you want to.pilot the Millennium Falcon 😉

For your first cruise, since it's so short, I 'd do all three rotational restaurants since you can get Palo brunch. That way you'll experience most of the dining (just leaves out Remy)

Check your navigator for the tour of the ship, it's called The Art of the Theme of something like that. Definitely worth your time, they give you the backstory on lots of the little details.

Make sure to visit Skyline Lounge. It's one of my favorite spots on the Dream. Trivia contests are fun and there are families and adult only ones. Prizes! No prizes for Midship Detective Agency, but it's a fun way to tour the ship.

There may be some classes at the gym that require a fee, but there are plenty that are free. There 's a nice early am stretching class that I like to attend before doing my laps around Deck 4.

As.to.the shows, I haven't been on the Dream since BatB debuted, but make sure to see The Golden Mickeys. Any ladies in your party will enjoy the Tarzan segment. 😉

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, you can. I do.

#11 in June...hello, new lanyard! And free Palo, so recent price increase won't affect me. 😁

OP, you've already gotten all the good advice, tips, etc. So I don't have much to add.

I never get off the ship in Nassau. Especially on a 3-nighter, your time is better spent on the Dream (so aptly named!) Use the day to play a round of mini-golf on Goofy 's Sports Deck, see a movie if there's a current or recent Disney release you haven't seen or want to see again. Now that Palo brunch is offered in Nassau day, do that, although it's adults only do you'd have to send the kids to the club. On embarkation day, after lunch and before the ship leaves port, adults can tour the kids clubs. A must if you want to.pilot the Milennium Falcon 😉

For your first cruise, I 'd do all three rotational restaurants since you can get Palo brunch. That way you'll experience most of the dining (just leaves out Remy)

Check your navigator for the tour of the ship, it's called The Art of the Theme of something like that. Definitely worth your time, they give you the backstory on lots of the little details.

Make sure to visit Skyline Lounge. It's one of my favorite spots on the Dream. Trivia contests are fun and there are families and adult only ones. Prizes! No prizes for Midship Detective Agency, but it's a fun way to tour the ship.

There may be some classes at the gym that require a fee, but there are plenty that are free. There 's a nice early am stretching class that I like to attend before doing my laps around Deck 4.

As.to.the shows, I haven't been on the Dream since BatB debuted, but make sure to see The Golden Mickeys. Any ladies in your party will enjoy the Tarzan segment. 😉

Your friends get to join your free dinner at Palo, right? *wink, wink*

ChuckElias

Wow, Platinum. I remember when you were such a noob. :D LOL. And yes, "free" Palo is my favorite perk. It makes a 3-night/4-night back-to-back that much more fun.

I never get off the ship in Nassau. Especially on a 3-nighter, your time is better spent on the Dream (so aptly named!)
Agree 100% . Of course, it's much easier to get on the AquaDuck, as well. My daughter and I did AquaDuck 3 times, I think, on Nassau day and only waited 10-15 minutes each time.

For your first cruise, since it's so short, I 'd do all three rotational restaurants since you can get Palo brunch. That way you'll experience most of the dining (just leaves out Remy)
Again, I agree. On your first cruise, you don't want to miss any of the rotational restaurants. And while Remy was a truly amazing experience, I'm not sure I loved it enough to pay the new higher charge for it. So do all three rotational restaurants, and try Palo brunch on Nassau day. (And yes, totally ditch the kids for Palo.)

I think it's the "Art of the Theme Show" tour. It's also available on Embarkation Day. I've done the tour on all four ships. It's totally worth it, both for the information on the tour and as a quick tour of the ship.

Is Golden Mickeys back on the Dream? When we cruised in April 2018, we saw the last show before it went on "hiatus". I really hope it's back, since it's my favorite show.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Is Golden Mickeys back on the Dream? When we cruised in April 2018, we saw the last show before it went on "hiatus". I really hope it's back, since it's my favorite show.

It was back when we did our cruise last October. 1st time I'd seen the show in 6 cruises.

raymusiccity

Ok, I am SO lost. Booked a 3-night on Disney's Dream. Overwhelmed by info, links, descriptions... argh!

Starting a thread for the newbie I am at cruises. PLEASE help!

1st, let's start with my basic ned: FOOD - when we do the DW parks, we have the meal plan. We stop and eat QS whenever we like, or I book sit-downs months in advance. How the heck do you eat on a ship? Do I book my meals? Eat when I want? Is all food included? Certain restaraunts have additional costs? (I know alcohol is extra).

I'll ask more questions as we go. Thanks in advance!

Easy solve. Call Disney Cruise. Line. Reps there are happy to answer all of your questions. Mydisneycruise.com will take care of the rest. I wouldn't put all my trust in a forum. 😃

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom