1st Birthday day ideas

Novamum

Original Poster
So I was thinking about my son's rapidly approching 1st birthday last month, and it dawned on me what could be better then to celebrate it at the happest place on earth? I told my husband (who was looking for an excuse to go back) and before I knew it he booked a reservation. But now I was thinking about what I could do to celebrate it. I figure maybe a trip to the barber shop and order a cake at restaurant. Any other suggestions on what to do or where I should make an ADR? I would like to stay in MK, but other suggestions would be fine! Thanks! Oh, and he is a very layed back little man so as long as I am with him he will go with the flow.

Figgy1

Premium Member
So I was thinking about my son's rapidly approching 1st birthday last month, and it dawned on me what could be better then to celebrate it at the happest place on earth? I told my husband (who was looking for an excuse to go back) and before I knew it he booked a reservation. But now I was thinking about what I could do to celebrate it. I figure maybe a trip to the barber shop and order a cake at restaurant. Any other suggestions on what to do or where I should make an ADR? I would like to stay in MK, but other suggestions would be fine! Thanks! Oh, and he is a very layed back little man so as long as I am with him he will go with the flow.
Those sound like the perfect ideas for a one year old!! Take him to see Mickey and get lots of pics with him wearing his birthday button!!

Disneymom201

Perhaps go on Etsy and find a cute 1st Birthday Mickey themed hat, shirt & bib. He can wear it the day you celebrate & order his cake. Our DS will be 1 in February and I got some really nice things off of etsy. We are going in our first cruise in October & hitting the parks when we get back. I'm hoping to hold out for his first haircut there too. My older boys had trims there. My advise is to book an appointment!!!!

novadad

Oh really?

Novamum

Original Poster
thank you... I have been a silent stalker of this site for many years, but looks like I have some competition here that I needed to pipe in... lol
silent stalker huh? sounds kinda creepy lol...aren't you suppose to be working?(j/k) And as your wife I don't consider myself as "competition" silly man

HouCuseChickie

There is a seller I've used on ebay who makes fully customized Disney shirts, etc.

http://stores.ebay.com/siblingts

Her prices are very reasonable (we got custom shirts for a fam of 4 for under $50) and she can do all kinds of things to customize the top. The wording and stick figures on the pics online are just samples and she can work with you to get it as close to your family or just the bday boy as possible. This is what she put together for us after several rounds of editing...

8049055239_ef7866539f_z.jpg

Also, there are different ways to do a cake at Disney. You can easily add on a podium cake when checking into a meal, but the private dining at the Contemporary, GF, BW, and to a lesser degree- AKL can do really nice custom cakes. The prices start around $75 and climb as you add details and special flavors, but it's a really nice touch. While we never do it, I know a lot of people will also get a mini version of the big cake they are ordering so the bday child turning 1 can have a "smash cake." I personally like working with the Contemporary (Chef Brian rocks!) and places like Chef Mickey's and Crystal Palace - which are in their delivery range would be great places for a cake. There are some limitations...off the top of my head...no Pooh & Friends whatsoever, no sculpting of any Disney character- just the handful of white choc. toppers approved for use, custom shapes are a tall order in some places and just not embraced in others, and you're typically limited to the flavors listed on lurkyloo's how to site (and you often have to push a little to get more than chocolate & vanilla).

http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/
http://disneytravelbabble.com/how-to/order-cake/by-location/

Definitely add the bday to all of your ADRs and your resort reservation as well as getting that bday button and having him wear it the whole trip. Bday buttons on little ones usually =s extra pixie dust! ;)

Novamum

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for there advice! With this we are going to have a blast! I just hope that I can get the ADRs that I want. Just 83 more days!

jmorri26

I'd definitely get his haircut at Harmony Barbershop like you mentioned. My rec too- it's totally not just for girls like I always had in my head- Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. The kiddies love their french toast sticks and if you have a baby boy like my son was, all the princesses will call him their Prince and give him big lipstick kisses all over his face. My son looked like such a ladykiller after breakfast there at 7 months old! It was the unexpected highlight of our trip.

vdpombo

I didn't want to start a new post for this. Just looking for some feedback. I started planning my sons first birthday and my husband suggested going to WDW instead. To those that commented to the original post and to Novamum: how did it go? My sons birthday is in in July so my biggest concern is the heat. Was the trip to WDW for child's first birthday worth it? I need to make a decision ASAP :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom