1955 Peter Pan's Flight

No Name

I think rides that absolutely terrify children are great. The deeper the conflict, the happier the ending. This is one of the problems with the Mermaid ride... Ursula chuckles and shows off her curves, and then we see a cardboard cutout of her dying. It's too rushed, too soft. I remember crying after a number of attractions... and my mommy didn't complain at guest services. She understood that it's good story, good exposure.

I also have an appreciation for rides that end in violent death, but I understand why those have waned over time. It's an odd conclusion. Still very disappointed to see StormRider at DisneySea get replaced.

@Kira Nerys how does It's a Small World rank on the Charming Scale?

George Lucas on a Bench

It depends on what day you catch me. Sometimes, I'm offended by the simplistic stereotypes and think if this wasn't so iconic, I could totally get behind replacing it. These days, I'd say it's perfect for a midday ride when it's brutally hot. The more relieving the ride is, the more charming.

mickEblu

It wasn't. The thing that stands out from my memory is that the New FL version was slightly longer and had much better special effects, not to mention an expanded queue and what has become an iconic facade.

I'm sure I would prefer the 83 version to 55. And I KNOW I prefer the facade now. I just like the sound of going into skull rock on the 55 version with Hook addressing guests directly. The current version is a little bit of a let down after the first two rooms. Although, the London room was significantly downgraded with the 60th "upgrades" and that "second star to the right" has been broken my last two rides (months apart).

George Lucas on a Bench

One thing I'm not clear on. Most photos show the vehicles turning into a big opening in the building. Then there's this curiosity. Did the pirate ships at one point crash through windows?

CP_YKT_N03.jpg

brb1006

I believe the voice at Disneyland was different than the one currently at WDW. It was a bit faster and more menacing. I can't recall where I heard it, it may have been in promotional footage, maybe the Disneyland TV show, or it may have even been an audio tribute on YouTube.

I don't know. I want to agree with you. It has a certain level of charm and classic Disney Magic not present in most other attractions. But if I'm waiting in an 80 minute line for a 3 minute ride, I'm going to want to feel transported into the world of my favourite movie, not a room full of black curtains and still mannequins
The current Disneyland version uses the current voice of Hook.

Brer Oswald

The current Disneyland version uses the current voice of Hook.
Corey Burton? That makes sense. I was just saying that the older DL version had a different Hook voice, possibly the same one that is still at WDW, but it was a different voice clip.

George Lucas on a Bench

I also have an appreciation for rides that end in violent death, but I understand why those have waned over time. It's an odd conclusion.

That reminds me. It's incredibly obvious that The Haunted Mansion does not end with the guest dying, but people believe to this day that's what's actually happening as you travel in black egg-shaped vechile down a ramp lined with either mega charming trees with faces or decidedly more boring faceless trees in WDW.

Meanwhile, it's incredible obvious you're dying at the end of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and the original Snow White's Adventures. The most brutal attractions were in the land of "imagination, hopes and dreams." Thanks for the nightmares, Walt.

mickEblu

How do you people know who voices the characters?

lol I know a few from watching the behind the scenes on some of the blu rays. One of my personal faves is Sterling Holloway. Voice of the Cheshire Cat, Kaa, Winnie the Pooh and Mr. Stork to name a few. Eleanor Audley is great too ( Lady Tremaine from Cinderella & Maleficent).

Brer Oswald

Phil Harris, Sterling Holloway, Eleanor Audley, Clarence Nash, Paul Winchell, John Fielder, Pinto Colvig, Bobby Driscoll, and Kathryn Beaumont are all famous voice actors I know from Walt's era. There are more people whose voices I recognize, I just don't remember their names.

Phroobar

Phil Harris, Sterling Holloway, Eleanor Audley, Clarence Nash, Paul Winchell, John Fielder, Pinto Colvig, Bobby Driscoll, and Kathryn Beaumont are all famous voice actors I know from Walt's era. There are more people whose voices I recognize, I just don't remember their names.
Sad thing is they just use their normal voices for the most part in their character voice overs. However Mel Blanc had hundreds of different sounding voices. Even Mark Hamill doesn't sound like Luke Skywalker when he does the Joker. However that could be interesting first few lines when Luke meets Rey at the beginning of The Last Jedi.

Brer Oswald

Sad thing is they just use their normal voices for the most part in their character voice overs. However Mel Blanc had hundreds of different sounding voices. Even Mark Hamill doesn't sound like Luke Skywalker when he does the Joker. However that could be interesting first few lines when Luke meets Rey at the beginning of The Last Jedi.
I don't think that's a sad thing. Their regular voices just exude such expressive personalities. These actors were chosen because they perfectly fit the characters.

Phroobar

I don't think that's a sad thing. Their regular voices just exude such expressive personalities. These actors were chosen because they perfectly fit the characters.
It's just weird when you see John Fiedler, the voice actor for Piglet, in an old Bob Newhart or some other show. You instantly see Piglet doing that role. It's especially weird when John plays a bad guy.

George Lucas on a Bench

Yeah, I mean, you wouldn't want to tamper with those voices.

Paul Frees is an easy example, though, where he didn't drastically change his voice in the various attraction dialogue he recorded, but he could still basically sound different. We know it's incredibly obvious that the same guy narrates Great Moments with Abe Lincoln, Adventures Thru Innerspace and The Haunted Mansion. It must have been really repetitive in the late 60s at Disneyland to be gathering in ornate lobby areas and riding the same ride system on these new attractions and hear the same voice. However, it's less obvious the same guy voices some of the Pirates of the Caribbean. With a little inflection, you have the captain and the auctioneer.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's what's really sad about all the changes the ride has had. The DL PotC is a piece of amusement park, Disney, and American history. I understand DL isn't a museum, but it'd be great if the work of the original ride creators could be preserved.

From what we know about Disney they do preserve almost everything in their archives. So its a good bet they are preserving all the items from these changes. And can always tote them out for nostalgic purposes if they ever need a quick gimmick. "Come experience the original Walt Disney created Disneyland attractions for the 100th anniversary, recently restored to their original design"...

I for one don't mind any of the recent changes, including the current announced changes. I think the classic attractions needs to be refreshed every couple of years while keeping their overall ride structure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom