11-hour COP marathon today

Rob562

I don't know if I could do 11 hours on COP...but I'd definitely be able to do 11 hours on the TTA :D

I have friends that did a TTA-Ride-A-Thon years ago (I think it was 2001 or 2002). 50 consecutive laps in about 9 or 10 hours.

It was December, so the park hours were a little limited. They got on soon after the park opened, and rode until the park closed at 7PM. They could've fit one more lap in before closing, but decided to end it at the even 50. (We were also trying to get out of the park ahead of the fireworks crowd)

I joined them for most of the day, probably racking up close to 40 laps.
Many other people joined us throughout the day (this was a coordinated event as part of the RADP newsgroup meet that year), sometimes only filling two cars on the train, other times filling the whole train.

But while 2 or 3 people in the group stayed on all day long, I took at least two breaks. One to ride Space Mountain with someone who had an extra FastPass, one to grab a quick lunch and use the facilities. And what was nice was that you knew the trains took 10 1/2 minutes to make a complete lap. So all you had to do was make you breaks in increments of 10 minutes and meet the train as it came through the station again (I still remember, it was Train #25...)

Eventually as the afternoon went on, we came up with "callbacks" ala Rocky Horror to go along with the TTA spiel. (They were always clean)
It was also a media day with a bunch of radio stations in tents set up between CoP and the skyway station. I wonder what they thought of a train full of people going by every 10 minutes singing "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow"...

Random Guests that ended up in our train had a blast. A few of them even stayed on with us for an extra lap or two. And one of the CMs working that day even spent one of his breaks riding a lap with us. (Though it was kind of a "working break", because he brought the trash grabber with him and picked stuff up along the way)

The people who'd been there all day got Magical Moments certificates, and there was even an article in the Tomorrowland Times (a CM newsletter for Tomorrowland CMs)

Ah, fun times... Wish I had a digital camera back then.
-Rob

colliera

Which would survive? The man or machine?

I don't think so. After two hours on Space Mountain, I'm fairly certain you would have internal bleeding in the abdomen region.

I visited a regional park in 2001, SF St. Louis, and rode a wooden coaster they had recently built called The Boss. As most of you know a "woody" isn't like a steel track coaster and this one really beat up on you for the three minute ride. (Not that SM doesn't have sharp turns and drops of it's own.)

Coincidently, there was a guy on the coaster that was within one day of having ridden it for 100 DAYS for a "daytime" record. He had lots of thick foam rubber padding cushioning him. He also had to guard against sunburn and wind burn. In addition to seeking the record he was doing some sort of fund raising for the effort but I don't recall exactly what.

He reclaimed his world record title in 2007 riding Pepsi Max Big One-Big Dipper at Blackpool. He did a continuous ride of 401 hours.

Sadly he had no catchy tune to sing along.

http://www.rollercoasterfever.com/news/news.html

After 35 years 401 running hours would probably shake CoP to nuts and bolts.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom