Trip Report 10 days goes too fast in Disney World! July Trip Report

So.. I debated back and forth on whether or not I should write a trip report! Bringing back all my Disney memories is bittersweet, I wish I was still there! However, I do not want to forget anything about my wonderful, amazing trip so here goes! Hope you enjoy :)

I went to Disney from July 14-23, got stuck in Orlando so we didn't really leave until the 24th, with my best friend. This is my fourth trip to Disney and this was her probably 14th, haha. We had never been on vacation together, but we are inseparable at home, so we knew we'd have no problems!! I'm an Ariel lover, Disney World obsessed fan, who comes on these forums WAY TOO MUCH :) My name's Nicole and the girl with the brown hair is my best friend! :) Her favorite princess is Aurora, and is pretty upset there isn't a sleeping beauty ride, or show, or really anything in Disney World! We had tons of plans, we wanted to do the cupcake challenge, where you eat a different cupcake everyday, we wanted to drink around the world, we had a ton of things on our must do lists. Disney here we come!

Day One:

Our flight to Disney was at 6:00 AM from Newark so we had to be at the airport around 4 AM! We TRIED to go to sleep early, but all our adrenaline and excitement made that impossible! Finally around 10 PM we fell asleep, and set our alarms for 3:15 AM to go to the airport. When my alarm went off, I was a little cranky and wondered why we picked such an early flight, but then the excitement of going to Disney World crept up, and I was fully awake.

imagejpg1_zps02b4467e.jpg

I'm the blonde!

Our flight there was super fast, and we arrived at 8:40 AM. We planned this right! We'd have a full day!! Off it was to find the magical express, did I mention, my friend and I are directionally challenged.
We went all the way downstairs and saw a bunch of Disney cruise buses only to find out we were on the wrong side of the airport, the magical express in on the B side just so everyone knows :) Back up the stairs and off to the other side we went.

We found the magical express area right away, and since it was early, it wasn't crowded at all! I remember when I went to Disney in November the lines being super long, but the lines were really short when we arrived! We hopped right on the bus, and we were off! Driving through the Walt Disney World sign gave me goosebumps, I could not believe I was really here! My level of excitement increased with each big purple sign with Mickey ears on top we passed.

imagejpg1_zpsee2f59b2.jpg

Stop one was Old Key West Resort, stop two was Saratoga Springs, and stop three was our new home, Port Orleans French Quarter! I had never stayed here before, but just seeing the signs saying "Welcome Home" made me all teary-eyed. I'm such a Disney sap.

We checked in immediately, there was no lines at all, and since I had done the online check in, our room was ready! We were in building 4, room 4309, near the bus stop and food court. We had a garden view, and the room was so pretty! We couldn't have asked for a better room!

We quickly unpacked our carry-ons since our luggage hadn't arrived yet, and then began exploring! We each packed all our headwear in our carry-ons, so for our very first day we decided to wear matching minnie-ears. While we unpacked, we watched Stacey! What kind of Disney trip is it if you don't watch her must dos! Unt pretzel, unt beer!

We walked along the Sassagoula River, checked out the pool area, and checked out the food court. This resort is BEAUTIFUL. It's small and easy to get around, and the landscapers were even the friendliest people. They offered to take our picture in front of the fountain. Thanks again!

After we made our way full circle around our resort, it was off to Magic Kingdom! It was around 1130 AM when we hopped on the first Disney bus to the parks! Hearing the themed music, where the horns are blaring to welcome you to the Magic Kingdom, made me instantly emotional! We put our key to world card up to the new Mickey turnstiles, watched Mickey light up green, and were inside! AHHHH!!!

We hurriedly picked up our photopass and continued on. That first walk down main street is still a blur in my mind. As soon as I saw that castle, I realized I was truly here, my happiest place on earth. The tears started welling up in my eyes, I could not believe it! After months of visiting these forums and looking at everyone's pictures, it was finally my turn! I was so happy and overwhelmed and then BAM the "move it, shake it, celebrate it" parade started going on. I swear it's like they were celebrating our arrival :) We both were laughing and dancing, and waving at every character that passed by. It was the best entrance I've ever had.

We couldn't decide what we wanted to do first, we had no plan! So we started wandering! We took as many photopass pictures and we could, and then decided to head to new fantasyland. We both had last visited in 2011, so we were excited! On the way, we saw a Tiana, and there wasn't a line, so we had to meet her right away! She was extremely nice, and really pretty!

New fantasyland did not live up to my expectations, I guess because the huge mine train is in the middle of everything. It kind of takes away from the whole immersive experience. I think I may have rathered they open everything up at once, instead of in stages. Don't get me wrong, all the detailing in this area of the park is one the reasons I love Disney World so much.. they truly go that extra mile.

Last edited:

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
As much as I am thinking we will have a chance to hit places at the hotel, I think we are going to be at all the parks a ton as well. But I'm so glad to hear this!! Thanks

Im so jealous of your trip in a couple weeks- 59 days is like forever!!

59 days will fly by!! And when my trip is over.. you will still be looking forward to yours!! I hope we both have amazing times :)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Are you still set for Wilderness Lodge ? I was there back in early June and it was still wonderful. Part of the waterfall feature was not working and had some work going on, it might be done for all I know but it was not a big deal.
We got lucky with the room 6067 as it was high and right in the center of the hotel looking straight out to the lake and no one on either side of us, that is no rooms are on wither side so it was very quiet when we were actually in there.

I am headed back in late September for a solo trip early for my birthday and going check at the All Star Movies. Never stayed anywhere but WL so I am ready to check it out. I won't be there much since I am on my own I will be hitting everything I can everyday!

Yes! Still set for WL! I'm so excited to stay at a deluxe.. never have before! I put that we would prefer an upper room.. we have a woods view so who knows what we will get! I cannot wait to see it.. hope we get some time to really enjoy our resort. Last trip we went to the parks allllll day and didn't take advantage of all POFQ's amenities. Hope to change that this go around :)

Enjoy all star movies! I feel like the all stars are what encompasses childhood disney, everything is large and over the top. I loved every resort I've stayed at so far, so I may be inhaling too much pixie dust! Enjoy your solo trip! :)

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
I just finished reading your trip report and, at least temporarily, my Disney itch has been scratched. I thought it was a new trip report from this July at first, but then realized it was from last year. You must have impressed a lot of people with your exploits to have it still be so popular a year later. I know I enjoyed it. My wife and I don't go until December. We've gone to Disneyworld during Christmas for a week every year for the last 15 years or so. She's a teacher, so that's the only time we're able to go. We've stayed at the Wilderness Lodge every year since it opened, and the Poly before that. Both are decked out nicely during the Holidays, but especially the Wilderness Lodge. Carol singers and Bell ringers. The massively large tree in the lobby and garland, trees, and wreathes everywhere. I would try my hand at writing a trip report, but we run around so much while we're there that I'd never be able remember it all in as much detail as you did. You have inspired me to take more food photos though. Good luck and good weather on your upcoming trip and thanks for posting such an excellent trip report.

Thank you SO MUCH for your kind words! I think I bumped my own thread back up, oops!, but I loved writing it way back last year. I am so excited to go again and am staying at the WL!!

I think you could definitley write a report, it was easy to remember my days because the pictures went in order and I took SO MANY!

I dream of one day staying in the world during the holidays! The closest I got to that so far was early Nov for my birthday.. one day it was Halloween and the next day they were decorating for Christmas. I bet the holidays are soooooo special at the parks. One day I will get there! Have a wonderful time!

slowjoe170

I didn't think about using the order of the photos as a reference. Clever.

My wife and I are both November babies also. She's Nov 2nd and I'm Nov 4th. Before she started teaching we would go the first week of November and stay at the Polynesian. You're right about the decorations. One year we flew there on Oct 31st and stayed at an airport hotel overnight. By the time we shuttled in the next morning to the resort and hit the parks all signs of Halloween were gone and they had already started hanging the Christmas stuff.

I've never gone anytime other than during the Holidays, so if I ever did get a chance to I would probably feel like something was missing. Good dilemma to have I guess.

CtDisneyGuy33

59 days will fly by!! And when my trip is over.. you will still be looking forward to yours!! I hope we both have amazing times :)

I think I'm really going to try and do a trip report this time. I followed yours last time and a couple more recent ones and I think I will give it a shot. It makes you take notice of more things and its great to be able to track the trip. Mind you, I can forsee embarassing pictures after many adult beverages, but it is vacation. I'm looking forward to a full report again!!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
I didn't think about using the order of the photos as a reference. Clever.

My wife and I are both November babies also. She's Nov 2nd and I'm Nov 4th. Before she started teaching we would go the first week of November and stay at the Polynesian. You're right about the decorations. One year we flew there on Oct 31st and stayed at an airport hotel overnight. By the time we shuttled in the next morning to the resort and hit the parks all signs of Halloween were gone and they had already started hanging the Christmas stuff.

I've never gone anytime other than during the Holidays, so if I ever did get a chance to I would probably feel like something was missing. Good dilemma to have I guess.
How cool my birthday is November 5! I would love to go during the holidays that is an awesome dilemma to have! I mostly have gone during the summer when it is incredibly hot...what is the weather like in December can you still do the pools?? hopefully one day I can make it there in the winter time!!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
I think I'm really going to try and do a trip report this time. I followed yours last time and a couple more recent ones and I think I will give it a shot. It makes you take notice of more things and its great to be able to track the trip. Mind you, I can forsee embarassing pictures after many adult beverages, but it is vacation. I'm looking forward to a full report again!!

You should definitely write a trip report..it's nice to go back and reread all these days long after my trip. sometimes pictures don't capture the memories and rereading them really triggers the brain! this trip I hope to drink around the world at Epcot so I'm sure a lot of funny pictures will ensue. you should definitely write a trip report I want to read it!!:)

CtDisneyGuy33

You should definitely write a trip report..it's nice to go back and reread all these days long after my trip. sometimes pictures don't capture the memories and rereading them really triggers the brain! this trip I hope to drink around the world at Epcot so I'm sure a lot of funny pictures will ensue. you should definitely write a trip report I want to read it!!:)

Trust me, your reports are far more "organized" than mine will be, but I will try and give it a shot. Its a great reminder of the little things that you forget after a while.

Your previous report got me hooked on R&C Welsh Dragons and Leaping Leprechauns!!! And....We are all going during Food and Wine as well, so that just spells trouble...so I will add whatever you recommend from your trip to mine!

Jim Buck

How cool my birthday is November 5! I would love to go during the holidays that is an awesome dilemma to have! I mostly have gone during the summer when it is incredibly hot...what is the weather like in December can you still do the pools?? hopefully one day I can make it there in the winter time!!

I forgot your birthday is then, that's mine too! My solo trip is a birthday trip but I am going earlier in the end of September. I will have to try and write a report afterwards. I'm not sure how much drinking I will do being on my own, nobody to carry me home or anything :)

slowjoe170

Yes, we usually do the pool on our first day. We fly in on the earliest flight, but that still doesn't get us to the resort until after lunchtime. So instead of paying for park entrance and having to waste half of it we do lunch at the Roaring Forks, then go swimming( actually more like floating) in the pool for awhile until it's time to resort hop at the Poly and Contemporary before dinner. Then we start in at the parks on the next morning bright and early. The weather is very moderate in December and shorts and t-shirt with a light jacket for the evenings is typical. I see that you're going to stay at the WL. You'll love it. Remember to ring the cowbell on your way in and out of the side entrance by the game room. It's the path that leads to the bus stop. I think it's a tradition, because everyone seems to do it. There's also a very nice fireplace on the fourth floor above the main entrance. Probably more of a cool weather thing, but very relaxing after a day in the parks. Hopefully ya'll are going to try out the Whispering Canyon Café. It's a rowdy place for dinner, especially if you like waving napkins. WL is also one of the few resorts that has a caricature artist in the main lobby in the evenings. We got ours done a few years ago. I think it was $20 and well worth it. The resort is a great place to roam around with lots of Western artifacts. I think that there's a free one hour tour from 9-10 Wed-Sat, although we've never tried it. All of the woods view rooms are very nice and you may just get upgraded to a Courtyard view like we did last year. Check out this view from our balcony.
Courtyard view.jpg

Last edited:

Mom@disney

imagejpg1_zps7c80650d.jpg

Rode the little mermaid ride, it was cute, but I was not blown away. I do think Disney needs as many as these type of rides as they possibly can have. They can accommodate a whole family, and are fast moving. I love the music of the little mermaid, so this ride brought a smile to my face :) Prince Eric's castle is breath-taking.. It really feels like you are at the beach!

Didn't use flash!!

After her ride, I told my friend I had to meet Ariel in her grotto! I had to meet her in her fin! The wait time was only 20 minutes, thank goodness, or I don't think my friend would have waited :)

I told her she was my favorite princess, and she gave me the biggest hug. I love the fact that even though I am 25 years old, the characters still treat you respectably. I love meeting the characters, and love hearing their stories that they tell. These CMs truly are exceptional people. I showed her my nails since I had painted them the colors of her outfit and she asked me if I used jellyfish goo. She was seriously so great! This is why she is my favorite princess!! I usually get speechless meeting the characters, but this visit I was able to talk a little bit. :)

After meeting Ariel, it was off to do more rides. We picked up a fastpass for Peter Pan, then rode it's a small world. This continues to be one of my all time favorites.

Loving your trip report. I just started following so I have to play catch up. Ariel is my favourite princess too. And even though I'm 32 and with two girls of my own, I still get star struck when I see Ariel. My girls end up doing all the talking lol.

Mom@disney

Headed to the American Idol Experience, this is another new thing we both had never tried! We were pumped! I watch American Idol here and there, I usually like the beginnings where everyone singing is not so good! My friend watches it all the time so in we went!

They first have the host getting the audience hyped up! You dance and clap, it was great interaction!

Usually there are three contestants, but we only had 2 :( They were both really good, and I give them props for doing the performance! The first girl sang Taylor Swift, and she sounded pretty much just like her! Then second girl sang Bubbly by Colbie Callait.. and she knocked it out of the park! Her voice was so different, and I seriously got goosebumps listening to her! I took a picture just in case she does become the next American Idol! I could never do what they did, and I kept trying to convince my friend to try out as a joke, she didn't think it was too funny! LOL I wish I knew who won the American Idol Experience at the end of the day, but we didn't make it back for that show!

We left the show and decided it was time to go back and rest. The clouds were rolling in again, ahh rain go away!

We tookd a photoshoot on the way out, gotta give it up to those wonderful Photopass photographers!

We asked for magic shots, and the girl who took our photos took us over to the side area and did every one she could! Thank you so much! These are so fun!

Back to POFQ we went, we need a little R&R! Laying in bed, watching Stacey.. what could be better! Ahh take me back!

We didn't rest for too long, because we had the best dinner coming up... HOOP DE DOO!!!

:) :) :)
Love all your pictures! The both of you look like you had so much fun! Hoop Dee Doo is awesome. And Pizza Planet is great.

Sands611

IF staying at Wilderness Lodge, ask the front desk/concierge to participate in a Flag Raising Ceremony. We did it and were taken up to the roof of the building and the view- THE VIEW! Ask when you check in. They take 10 or so folks up a day.

Last edited:

Mom@disney

I wish my job was to ride a magical dragon every night! Some people have all the luck!

The America float gives me the chills! I couldn't imagine being in Disney for the 4th of July. It must be so patriotic and beautiful. If I get chills from float, I can't imagine what a mess I'd be if I experienced the actual holiday there!

We then found every photopass photographer we possibly could! I know you guys are probably sick of looking at pictures of me in front on the castle! I just couldn't get enough. It's the most gorgeous structure ever constructed!

We then waited for one photographer and kept letting people behind us cut in front because we wanted the castle to be pink! It took a good five minutes before it changed. But we got our beautiful shot! I swear some people thought we were insane, but what are ya gonna do?!

They all kind of blend together to look the same, haha. I love my castle photos! I need to get a frame that hold 4 pictures and do us in front of each park's monument. :)

It was late, and we were pooped! We shopped around for a little bit in the emporium, I bought a caramel apple car air freshener as well as a mickey mickey ice-cream bar one. My friend got the turkey leg one! They smell so authentic. Scent really is your strongest sense to bring back memories! We also got some jewelry and car antenna toppers. There's so much to buy!

My air freshener inspired me so we stopped back at the confectionery so I could get a snack to bring home to Port Orleans. I wanted just a plain caramel apple, and couldn't find one anywhere! They were all covered with candy or sprinkles and decorated. I then asked one of the CMs behind the candy counter and he said he could make it for me and have it sliced. What a deal! I was so happy. :) I had a nice late night snack back in our room.

Another day had come and gone, but we were excited for our beds! We were passed out as soon as our heads hit the pillow. Disney really wears you out! We decided we would sleep in for tomorrow. It was around 2 AM when we finally got under our covers. A full week in Disney had passed, but we still had so much to look forward too! We dreamed of what was still to come.

Day 8

Woke up around 10, this was late for us! We didn't have any set plans.. should we go to Downtown Disney? We talked back and forth on the pros and cons of where to go and it all came down to what we wanted to eat for lunch. Took some great photos before we were on our way!

Matching headbands, we're so cute!

Drum roll please...

We were back at the Magic Kingdom. It honestly felt like we lived here, we'd been here so much! My most favorite park. :)

Today was the actual first really hot day.. it reminded me of my previous trips when I came in August. It was hot and humid, but that's how most of my Disney trips are! We were well rested and ready for another day.

Again, more castle pictures. I'm sorry everyone.. it just doesn't get old to me!

:)
Love the Ariel tank!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
IF staying at Wilderness Lodge, ask the front desk/concierge to participate in a Flag Raising Ceremony. We did it and were taken up to the roof of the building and the view- THE VIEW! Ask when you check in. They take 10 or so folks up a day.

Wow that sounds soo amazing!! I will see if we can work our magic! Haha

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Loving your trip report. I just started following so I have to play catch up. Ariel is my favourite princess too. And even though I'm 32 and with two girls of my own, I still get star struck when I see Ariel. My girls end up doing all the talking lol.

I can never think of what to say when I meet Ariel! She was just too gorgeous and I became speechless! I did a lot better on this trip than previous ones.. Hopefully when I go again I won't be so shy and can talk to the characters more!

Upanova

Your Trip Report was fabulous! I loved reading every minute of it!!! Love your infectious enthusiasm too! Reading your report has just made me wish that the next 7 months fly by. I can't wait that long!!!

blreinsel

I finally made it through this TR! But now I'm sad that there's no more to read. :( This is obviously fate saying that you need another trip ASAP. ;) You make me so anxious for my trip!!!

I crack up every time you make fun of yourself for eating. My friend and I are the exact same way, at home and at Disney. Our lives literally revolve around our next meal. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom