10 day pass but 7 day resort stay

Fun times

Original Poster
I have a 10 day pass and plan on entering the parks on a Friday but my resort stay check in is on Sunday. My trickets are linked to MDE. I will get magic bands for my resort stay. I read in help on MDE that once you link your tickets and magic band your tickets will no longer work you will have to use your magic bands. Will I be able to get into park on Friday even though my resort stay starts on Sunday?

Tom

Beta Return
If you have standalone park tickets that are not part of a Magic Your Way Package, they will work starting with the first time you use them to enter the park. You will then be able to enter the parks on 10 separate days, but only for a period of 14 days. All leftover days on the tickets will expire on the 15th day after first use, unless you purchased the No Expiration Option.

If you purchased the tickets as part of a MYW package, with a resort stay, the tickets will not activate until the moment you check-in at your resort.

Fun times

Original Poster
Thanks they are standalone park tickets. When I check in to animal kingdom on Sunday will my magic band then be my ticket or will I still use my stand alone tickets.

StarWarsGirl

Thanks they are standalone park tickets. When I check in to animal kingdom on Sunday will my magic band then be my ticket or will I still use my stand alone tickets.
You can use either one. I have an AP and could use my card or my MB from my resort stay to enter

Rob562

The one caveat is that you won't be able to make advance FP+ reservations for dates *before* your hotel check-in date. You'll be limited to same-day FP+ at the in-park kiosks.

-Rob

Fun times

Original Poster
I was wondering if I would be able to use MDE once I was in the park Friday and Saturday to set up fast passes because my account is going to be in system for the rest of the week.

Rob562

I was wondering if I would be able to use MDE once I was in the park Friday and Saturday to set up fast passes because my account is going to be in system for the rest of the week.

Unless they expand advance FP+ abilities to all ticketholders between now and then, you'll be limited to same-day in-park kiosk usage on those first couple days before you check in. (Though you'll be able to reserve 60 days out for dates starting with your checkin day)

-Rob

MadMax11

I'm in the same boat.

I have 8 day passes.

We check into an offsite property for one night after going to the park.

After that, we check into OKW for 4 nights.

After that we check into YC for 3 nights.

I just got my tickets today. I don't know if I should link them yet, because I don't want to do something I can't undo without speaking to someone at WDW about it over the phone first.

So sounds like the first day at the park (when we're staying offsite), we will be able to use a magic band regardless.

But after we check into OKW, do we get new magic bands?

How about when we check into YC?

Tom

Beta Return
I'm in the same boat.

I have 8 day passes.

We check into an offsite property for one night after going to the park.

After that, we check into OKW for 4 nights.

After that we check into YC for 3 nights.

I just got my tickets today. I don't know if I should link them yet, because I don't want to do something I can't undo without speaking to someone at WDW about it over the phone first.

So sounds like the first day at the park (when we're staying offsite), we will be able to use a magic band regardless.

But after we check into OKW, do we get new magic bands?

How about when we check into YC?

As long as you customize your MB's through your MDE account before the 30-day mark, you'll get a set for your OKW and your YC reservations. They'll ship UPS a couple weeks before your trip.

You should go ahead and link your tickets to your MDE account. Since they were not purchased as part of a MYW package, they will work even before you check into your first Disney resort. And since you'll have Magic Bands, I believe they'll work for park access even though they won't open a resort room door yet. Just like AP Magic Bands will work for park access even if they don't have resort reservations.

You will not be able to make advance FP+ reservations for the day you're not staying at a Disney resort, but you will be able to make them for your OKW days once you get 60-days out from the day you check into OKW. And you'll be able to make them for your YC days 60-days out from the day you check into YC.

Tom

Beta Return
So will I get two sets of magic bands? One for OKW and one for YC?

Yes, you will. Once you've linked both reservations to your MDE account, you'll see the prompts to customize your Magic Bands before the 30-day mark. At that point, if they're customized, they'll ship them to you. If you haven't, I think you have until 10-days out, otherwise they get shipped to the resort. And if you never customize them, you'll get gray ones at check-in.

MadMax11

Ok..so do I assume that the OKW band will have 5 days on it and the YC one will have 3 days on it? Even though I'm really only staying 4 nights at OKW.

That's part of where my confusion is...8 days broken over 3 resorts, one of which is off-property.

Tom

Beta Return
Ok..so do I assume that the OKW band will have 5 days on it and the YC one will have 3 days on it? Even though I'm really only staying 4 nights at OKW.

That's part of where my confusion is...8 days broken over 3 resorts, one of which is off-property.

The Magic Bands don't mean anything. They're linked to your MDE accounts, and nothing more. If you get 20 of them, they're all linked to your account and do the same thing.

Think about it like a joint credit card. Two people use two CC's that have different card numbers, but they both charge to the same account. If you replace a card because it was stolen, the new one ties to the same account. If you add an authorized person, and they get a CC, it still charges to the same account.

All that matters is that you have resort reservations and tickets - all linked to your MDE accounts. Your trip will be very much like the one we just took. We stayed a night at the Boardwalk, but did not have park admission. Then we cruised, then came back to WDW and stayed at GF for 3 nights, then WL for 2 nights. We also had 6-day hoppers that we linked to our accounts.

When we checked into BW, our MB's opened our room doors and allowed charging privileges. And if we had tried to go into a park, it would have also activated our tickets and taken a day off the 6 (and started the 14-day expiration timer).

Then when we got back to WDW and checked into the GF, the bands (all 6 of them) opened our GF door, and allowed charging privileges to that reservation, and allowed us into the parks through our separately linked tickets.

When we moved to WL, the bands then opened that room door, and so on.

For you, you'll all have MBs and will use them to get into the parks on that first day. The tickets will continue to work, seamlessly, until you use up all days (or after 14 days, whichever comes first). Then, when you check into OKW, the Magic Bands will ALSO open your room door and charge to that room. When you move to YC, they'll open that room door and begin charging to that room once you check-in (they will continue to charge to your OKW room until you check-in at YC).

You will be able to make same-day FP+ using your Magic Bands that first day you visit the parks. But you will be able to make advanced FP+ starting 60 days before your OKW check-in day. And since you have 8-day tickets, it will actually allow you to make 8-days worth of FP+. You won't use the last day since, in reality, you will have used a day prior to your WDW check-in.

It's a very simple system that they've made very confusing. If someone just has a plain 'ol MYW package with no split stays or separate tickets, it's a piece of cake. But for those of us who travel differently, it's fairly second semester.

The important thing to know is that Magic Bands themselves mean nothing. They're just the media used to access your MDE accounts.

Fun times

Original Poster
If your not a teacher you should be. The credit card analogy made me understand the system for the first time. Thanks for taking your time to explain .

MadMax11

The Magic Bands don't mean anything. They're linked to your MDE accounts, and nothing more. If you get 20 of them, they're all linked to your account and do the same thing.

Think about it like a joint credit card. Two people use two CC's that have different card numbers, but they both charge to the same account. If you replace a card because it was stolen, the new one ties to the same account. If you add an authorized person, and they get a CC, it still charges to the same account.

All that matters is that you have resort reservations and tickets - all linked to your MDE accounts. Your trip will be very much like the one we just took. We stayed a night at the Boardwalk, but did not have park admission. Then we cruised, then came back to WDW and stayed at GF for 3 nights, then WL for 2 nights. We also had 6-day hoppers that we linked to our accounts.

When we checked into BW, our MB's opened our room doors and allowed charging privileges. And if we had tried to go into a park, it would have also activated our tickets and taken a day off the 6 (and started the 14-day expiration timer).

Then when we got back to WDW and checked into the GF, the bands (all 6 of them) opened our GF door, and allowed charging privileges to that reservation, and allowed us into the parks through our separately linked tickets.

When we moved to WL, the bands then opened that room door, and so on.

For you, you'll all have MBs and will use them to get into the parks on that first day. The tickets will continue to work, seamlessly, until you use up all days (or after 14 days, whichever comes first). Then, when you check into OKW, the Magic Bands will ALSO open your room door and charge to that room. When you move to YC, they'll open that room door and begin charging to that room once you check-in (they will continue to charge to your OKW room until you check-in at YC).

You will be able to make same-day FP+ using your Magic Bands that first day you visit the parks. But you will be able to make advanced FP+ starting 60 days before your OKW check-in day. And since you have 8-day tickets, it will actually allow you to make 8-days worth of FP+. You won't use the last day since, in reality, you will have used a day prior to your WDW check-in.

It's a very simple system that they've made very confusing. If someone just has a plain 'ol MYW package with no split stays or separate tickets, it's a piece of cake. But for those of us who travel differently, it's fairly second semester.

The important thing to know is that Magic Bands themselves mean nothing. They're just the media used to access your MDE accounts.

Tom, that was far and away the most informative post I've ever read about the whole thing :) Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out!!

Tom

Beta Return
If your not a teacher you should be. The credit card analogy made me understand the system for the first time. Thanks for taking your time to explain .

Glad it helped!

I've come close to drawing a cloud-diagram or flow chart to illustrate the flow of information, but analogies seem to work too. It took me a while to comprehend the system, but once we used it in person it became lots more clear.

MadMax11

Last question, I swear!! Ok, maybe not...but I'll ask anyway.

Is it a good idea to go ahead and hold on to the plastic card tickets they sent in the mail? I just linked up tickets and customized magic bands for the family!

Rob562

I'll second (third?) the praise for Tom's analogy. Of all the times I've explained MDE and the Bands and come up with various explanations and analogies, a joint credit card account never crossed my mind. It's perfect. (I may have to start using that analogy myself)

And to answer MadMax's question, yes it's a good idea to hold onto the original tickets at least until you've used the Bands for your first park admission. It'll be easier to diagnose and resolve a problem if one should crop up.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom