One Sentence Competition Retrospectives on Past Seasons

pix

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 1!

"CHALLENGE 8: How would you add a smell into a Disney ride?"

Adding the smell of acitone (like nail polish remover) to Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin when you pass by "the Dip"

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 2: Add a new Float to the Main Street Electrical Parade! (No Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, or movies from before 2000)"

@tcool123 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!​

Frozen 2, a float with similar design to the "into the unknown" scene at the end of the song with all the snowflakes with the colors of the elements

spacemt354

Chili's
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 1

d9qnu43-53a81e5e-3fca-4bf2-a376-df77ac203f7f.png

Hosted by: @tcool123
Started on: February 19th, 2016
Won by: @spacemt354

Season 2 is when the initial idea of this game began to form into The One Sentence Competition as we know it today!

This Season started as a part of the Imagineering Weekends. This was a series of casual games played over the weekends on this forum. Simple and goofy things usually like Where in the World or joke threads based around things like Whose Line is it Anyways.

I wasn't around during the actual Imagineering Weekends events, but many of the most popular threads kept going long after the weekends they were originally intended for because they were just pure fun (The most recent Where in the World post was about a week ago!).

There was only 4 rounds in this episode making it the shortest full season of the game so far. The game started with the same "2 sentences max, no pictures" rule as the first season, but as this episode went on each round expanded more and more. By the end it involved map making and 5 sentences.

There was some controversies. Problems that started here and has been a consistent struggle with the game.
  • The balance between it being fun to write a bit more and that taking away from the simplicity​
  • The risk of accidentally judging a one sentence project as more of a short project rather than an elevator pitch​
  • The struggle of how to expand and grow the game as it continues without losing it's charm and ease​

These three points of contention started here and have continued even into the most recent episodes. It can be a tough balancing act to host the one sentence comp and accommodate the different view points on how people want it to go. @tcool123 handled it with grace and was very open to feedback. Even creating an anonymous survey to learn how to improve the experience in future Episodes!

The game had some growing pains at the start, but this was part of building this into an amazing game! The feedback he received and the way he responded to it are definitely going to be kept in mind as we head into the future!

Check out the 1st Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 1!

"CHALLENGE 2: Add a new Float to the Main Street Electrical Parade! (No Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, or movies from before 2000)"

@tcool123 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!​
Oh wow what memories 😊

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Frozen 2, a float with similar design to the "into the unknown" scene at the end of the song with all the snowflakes with the colors of the elements
1600387576654.png

Honestly just take this float from Magic Happens and add some of the snowflake diamond light things around it and it would be a perfect fit for a light parade!

How about... I dunno, a Tangled scene with Rapunzel and Flynn in the boat, surrounded by floating lanterns?

Such a simple and perfect idea I can't believe it doesn't exist already!

tcool123

Sure thing :D

I remember taking it very seriously, and treating every challenge like it had to be top tier. That's why every challenge had so many requirements that made it needlessly complex, as I was trying to elevate it.

Looking back I wish I was so demanding with the challenges as in hindsight it really took out the simplicity, and a piece of the One Sentence soul was being damaged by doing all the complexities I wanted in it. I especially hate the fact that elminations was even a thing, like was I being so hard on everybody. I am very glad we have moved away from the seriousness that I tried to implement. In the long run it turned people away from playing as they pleased.

With that said it was still fun, and loved the response the forums had considering we're here 4 seasons later still celebrating the power of one sentence.

However, one thing that I loved was having the winner begin to host the next, next episode.

tcool123

Mary Poppins Returns Float

The float will be a tower of bubbles with a bathtub on top, and Mary Poppins in her Can You Imagine That costume; preceding the float will be various lamplighters that change the colours of the light bulbs on the parade route using newly installed sensors.​

DisneyManOne

880c7be86da96326d94b9bb1b83b38f6.png

The Princess and the Frog comes to the Main Street Electrical Parade in an elaborate float, with a large, bedazzled-with-lights steamboat churning its way through the bayous, with Tiana and Naveen dancing under the light of two very familiar stars to the strains of Louis' trumpet...but beware, for on the backside of the float, Dr. Facilier is working his working his dark magic with the aid of his "friends on the other side" and giant, lighted masks.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
1SC Retrospective
Season 2, Episode 2

d9qnu43-53a81e5e-3fca-4bf2-a376-df77ac203f7f.png

Hosted by: @tcool123
Started on: April 16th, 2016
Won by: @spacemt354 once again!

Season 2, Episode 2 continued to refine the original concept of the game.

This was once again a part of the Imagineering Weekends. Thus, there was only 4 rounds in this episode making it tie for the shortest full season of the game so far.

This game scaled back to the rule of only 2 sentences and no pictures. Simplified and streamlined.

There was only 8 players involved and not everyone played in every round. This smaller cast allowed the prompts to get more specific and small scale which added a bit of a different vibe. Nearly every round had an extra challenge or restriction on what IP could be used to push people to think outside the box!

Not too much new to this season, just a solid refining and continuation of the previous Episode. Which was exactly what this Episode needed to be. It took what worked and focused on that and it took what didn't and cut it back. The 1-2 punch from TCool at the start of Season 2 set up the game to grow into what it became! A strong foundation lead by a host willing to listen to feedback and grow from that.

This effort to build on what came before it is definitely something that will continue on into the future (and is partly what prompted this retrospective!)

Check out the 2nd Episode of the 2nd Season here!

As a Discussion Question for today, let's look at my favorite prompt from Season 2, Episode 2!

"CHALLENGE 2: Retheme Rock'n Rollercoaster (But not to GotG, Marvel, or any other commonly rumored concepts)"

@tcool123 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!

DashHaber

"CHALLENGE 2: Retheme Rock'n Rollercoaster (But not to GotG, Marvel, or any other commonly rumored concepts)"
The Rocketeer: Jet Flight

61m-Nt7eLuL._AC_SY879_.jpg

Join the Howard Hughes Corporation as test pilots, taking part in an experimental flight of his latest invention: Jet cars that will send you speeding through the skies of 1930s Hollywood like that famed flying hero, the Rocketeer!​

DisneyManOne

b5c88bd5dbc0a627c996985bc9dcd002.jpg

Roger Rabbit in "Limousine Liberation" takes place in a world where Benny the Cab is teaching Larry the Limo the rules of the Toontown road...but alas, Baby Herman has once again gotten himself into trouble, so Larry needs to team up with Roger and Jessica for a wild ride through the ever-crazy world of Toontown -- through buildings and houses, through the trees and the rivers, and not to mention a death-defying freefall -- in order to save the little bundle of joy from harm.

Chaos Cat

Villainous Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

Famed record label Darkwoods Records, known for it's Disney Villains-inspired bands, has managed to create a whole new way to enjoy their music: sending people into the music. Guests enter one of five different "Thrill Rides" and are sent speeding into a twisting and turning experience though the world of Disney Villains as viewed through the lens of album covers, with on-board audio and projection effects creating a different experience every time you ride it.
…If it stops me from being burned at the stake, the soundtracks would closer to Jonathan Young than Descendants

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Famed record label Darkwoods Records, known for it's Disney Villains-inspired bands, has managed to create a whole new way to enjoy their music: sending people into the music. Guests enter one of five different "Thrill Rides" and are sent speeding into a twisting and turning experience though the world of Disney Villains as viewed through the lens of album covers, with on-board audio and projection effects creating a different experience every time you ride it.
…If it stops me from being burned at the state, the soundtracks would closer to Jonathan Young than Descendants
giphy.gif

Brer Panther

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith the Electric Mayhem
1600479880820.png
It's basically Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, with some rather large differences - the music is that of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, audio-animatronic Muppets are all over the place, and your limo driver is Beauregard, the Muppets' befuddled janitor who, as The Great Muppet Caper shows, isn't exactly the best driver.

spacemt354

Chili's

Join the Howard Hughes Corporation as test pilots, taking part in an experimental flight of his latest invention: Jet cars that will send you speeding through the skies of 1930s Hollywood like that famed flying hero, the Rocketeer!​
Reading this I was getting really weird deja vu - then I remembered why!

Such an underrated film

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Working on finding old imagineering podcasts - stumbled across this classic

Those were so much fun to film! Can't wait till the apocalypse is over and I can go back to being a cast member. I'd love to do more in park vlog reviews like that for stuff!

Reading this I was getting really weird deja vu - then I remembered why!

Such an underrated film

Eventually enough people on this forum will tell me how good the Rocketeer is that I'll finally take the time to watch it haha

b5c88bd5dbc0a627c996985bc9dcd002.jpg

Roger Rabbit in "Limousine Liberation" takes place in a world where Benny the Cab is teaching Larry the Limo the rules of the Toontown road...but alas, Baby Herman has once again gotten himself into trouble, so Larry needs to team up with Roger and Jessica for a wild ride through the ever-crazy world of Toontown -- through buildings and houses, through the trees and the rivers, and not to mention a death-defying freefall -- in order to save the little bundle of joy from harm.

Roger Rabbit is such a natural fit for the Studios parks. It is a real shame rights issues keep the character mostly locked away

…If it stops me from being burned at the stake, the soundtracks would closer to Jonathan Young than Descendants

Oooooooooohhhhhh I love how out of the box and wild this is! I like it

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith the Electric Mayhem
View attachment 498675
It's basically Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, with some rather large differences - the music is that of Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, audio-animatronic Muppets are all over the place, and your limo driver is Beauregard, the Muppets' befuddled janitor who, as The Great Muppet Caper shows, isn't exactly the best driver.

You can never go wrong with Muppets!

tcool123

@tcool123 if you have any thoughts, insight, or memories you wanna share about hosting this episode I'd love to hear it!
I remember that as a whole this season went smoothly in comparison to season one, but looking back it definitely wasn't there yet. I still think at this time it was missing its essence of fun that it has now. Maybe it was something @spacemt354 introduced in the next episode, or something but something still is a bit off from the whole spirit of One Sentence that episode.

Also pretty sure this episode signaled that the winner would take over? Maybe it was something discussed over PM? Quite frankly don't remember how, but pretty sure @spacemt354 took the reigns and continued to pass them off after his turn at base. Which is one thing I loved about OSC.

Also just reading ahead, and really enjoying what is to come in the retrospectives :D

spacemt354

Chili's
I remember that as a whole this season went smoothly in comparison to season one, but looking back it definitely wasn't there yet. I still think at this time it was missing its essence of fun that it has now. Maybe it was something @spacemt354 introduced in the next episode, or something but something still is a bit off from the whole spirit of One Sentence that episode.

Also pretty sure this episode signaled that the winner would take over? Maybe it was something discussed over PM? Quite frankly don't remember how, but pretty sure @spacemt354 took the reigns and continued to pass them off after his turn at base. Which is one thing I loved about OSC.

Also just reading ahead, and really enjoying what is to come in the retrospectives :D
I am enjoying the retrospectives too so I dont want to spoil the next one :p i don't remember whose idea it was to have the winner host the next season, but that carried over into episode 4 in the fall as well and continued on with Season 3.

The next episode also introduced the medals which i think helped ease the burden on the host to pick 1 winner when now they could acknowledge several.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom