“Industrial Accident” near France Pavilion in Epcot

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Original Poster
To be fair (working for a construction company myself) it is really difficult to get good workers these days. Construction is booming, unemployment (at least around here) is almost non-existent, and people are lazy. We are constantly making crews redo things and are seeing the same thing with other trades. Our labor hours have almost doubled while paying more per worker. When we use agencies, less than half show up for work. Heck just getting people to show up within 30 minutes of start time is a problem.

I'd believe it... its hard to find good local contractors to do things as well where I live. Not going to get political here but I feel like too many go to college and get degrees (some odd ones as well) and then can't find a job in those fields and high schools don't teach/promote vocational trade skilled jobs as much as they did in the past. There are some really good construction type / skilled worker type jobs that pay more than a lot of college degree jobs would too.

BMoo

To be fair though Disney isn't exactly known for getting the best of the best for contractors. They legitimately went through three different contractors for the Coronado refurbishment because the ones they hired kept screwing things up or having to go back and fix things or taking significantly longer than what they were quoted. Disney seems to love having to continually pay more to get the work done and then redone rather than paying a little more and getting it done RIGHT the first time.

As an architect, I can confirm that this isn't just a Disney problem. This is most clients.

Polydweller

The reports in local Orlando media are that the worker was an employee of Sunbelt Rentals and was not a Disney employee. He was 58.

Tom Morrow

So unfortunately there in fact was a fatality. The accident was plain and simple the victims own doing. They are required to wear ( by OSHA) a safety harness when using man lifts. The victim used the lift without a harness and was catapulted out of it. Very tragic yet avoidable. 😟
How does one get catapulted out of a man lift?

flynnibus

Premium Member

same way people get catapulted out of vehicles in crashes. Sudden impacts or stops. On a lift when raised, every movement at the ground is exaggerated by the distance you are from where the vehicle actually grounded. Add into that any fall from the basket can mean a fatal fall height... and you know why they are supposed to wear harnesses.

So real easy if you are in a lift raised, and moving the base around.. and something happens to the base.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The general contractor for Ratatouille, if this was related to that project, is not Disney.
Point taken. At some point...
a) WDW still won't like that OSHA will be sniffing around the job site, and
b) as it turns out, Sunbelt Rentals won't be too happy, either.

juniorthomas

So unfortunately there in fact was a fatality. The accident was plain and simple the victims own doing. They are required to wear ( by OSHA) a safety harness when using man lifts. The victim used the lift without a harness and was catapulted out of it. Very tragic yet avoidable. 😟

I work in the tool industry and have noticed with astonishment how some crews tend to avoid even the most basic PPE. That said, most of the teams do it right; it's great to be on sites with great Safety Managers.

seascape

Point taken. At some point...
a) WDW still won't like that OSHA will be sniffing around the job site, and
b) as it turns out, Sunbelt Rentals won't be too happy, either.
WDW would have no problem with OSHA checking on construction sites at WDW. In fact I am sure they want all contractors working on property to insure none of their workers get injured or killed. Just look at this story and how so many people here blame them. This was not Disney's fault. In fact it was the fault of the individual killed. That said I still stand by my previous comment and hope after the ride is open that Disney let the persons family in for free so they can see what he was working on but don't tell the public.

JoeCamel

Seeing as he worked for Sunbelt maybe the lift had a problem, he was there to inspect/repair it and failed to clip in. The lift moved suddenly and he fell out. You don't have to be up very high to die if you land on your head. I know of cases where just falling back from a punch killed the victim. However it happened no one should be dying on the job but Dis has had two deaths backstage in a very short time period now.

LSLS

WDW would have no problem with OSHA checking on construction sites at WDW. In fact I am sure they want all contractors working on property to insure none of their workers get injured or killed. Just look at this story and how so many people here blame them. This was not Disney's fault. In fact it was the fault of the individual killed. That said I still stand by my previous comment and hope after the ride is open that Disney let the persons family in for free so they can see what he was working on but don't tell the public.

Having to sit down, go through safety forms, you accident records, interviews, etc. is a pain and time consuming, whether you have nothing to hide or not. It's a hassle Disney does not want (nor does any other company), you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Their accident or not, being at their business will still have their records combed, especially when it is the second fatal incident on property in the last year.

Jimdalva

I worked as a 'Construction Site Safety Manager' in NY, if Florida is similar then, the contractor would have a full time CSSM. The contractor would also mandate that any subcontractor with more than 30 workers must have their own CSSM. In addition. the property owner, Disney, would also have a CSSM, who would be at the top of all safety. The sunbelt worker may not have worked ON the job site, but visited as needed to deliver, pick up, repair or inspect the lifts. As they say 'Safety is Everybody's Business' Who gets the most liability, my guess the one with the deepest pockets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom