‘Alien’ Franchise Resurrected by ‘Evil Dead’ Director Fede Alvarez!

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

In what could easily be the biggest news bomb of the year, Evil Dead and Don’t Breathe director Fede Alvarez will both write and direct a brand new Alien movie for Ridley Scott and 20th Century Studios, reports THR.

The project is described as “an original standalone feature”, which is a breath of fresh air after several big swings by Scott himself.

Scott, who directed the original sci-fi horror movie released in 1979 and returned for both prequels Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, will produce via his Scott Free banner.

The project is intended to be made for Hulu as part of 20th Century’s ambitions to make more than 10 movies a year for the Disney-owned streaming service.

Two of such projects are the David Bruckner-directed Hellraiser reimagining and Predator prequel Prey, both on the slate for 2022.

Recalls the site, Alien and its many sequels and prequels focus on the horror of a ferocious race of alien beings called Xenomorphs, who implant eggs inside living bodies via “facehuggers” that violently burst out of chests when they reach a certain stage of maturity.

Alvarez’s take is being kept deep inside the studio’s chest, but sources describe it as unconnected to the previous movies.

According to THR‘s sources, Alvarez is a rabid fan of the franchise and casually pitched a take to Scott many years ago. The idea remained implanted in Scott’s brain until late last year when he called Alvarez out of the blue and asked him if the younger filmmaker was still up for it. Alvarez didn’t have to be asked twice.

20th Century picked up the project “purely off the strength of Fede’s pitch,” said division president Steve Asbell. “It was just a really good story with a bunch of characters you haven’t seen before.”

Fede Alvarez also produced the brand new Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which is currently streaming on Netflix.

mf1972

for myself, it would like to see a continuation from covenant. they left it wide open for another one.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I love this universe so I still want to see the final connective tissue film finishing the Prometheus/Covenant storyline from Ridley Scott, plus I'm up for this new film and the TV series.

Also, if this was actually true, I think it's awesome:
According to THR‘s sources, Alvarez is a rabid fan of the franchise and casually pitched a take to Scott many years ago. The idea remained implanted in Scott’s brain until late last year when he called Alvarez out of the blue and asked him if the younger filmmaker was still up for it. Alvarez didn’t have to be asked twice.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the first trailer and poster for Alien: Romulus, releasing in theaters on August 16, 2024.

GJICUzRbsAA3vst.jpeg

mf1972

looks interesting. although prometheus had its flaws, i liked covenant. was hoping to see a continuation of that, but it is what it is.

celluloid

Looks to be Disney’s best movie in years.

So strange to say that about an Alien film.
I agree.
Horror is in.

And funny considering they got rid of GMR, small potatoes, but the timing as they have since bought that studio of the rights and and are investing in the revitalization.

Mike S

I agree.
Horror is in.

And funny considering they got rid of GMR, small potatoes, but the timing as they have since bought that studio of the rights and and are investing in the revitalization.
GMR was the first thing that came to my mind… 😥

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom