Trip Report A New Hope, A New Day *COMPLETED*

That’s not a Star Wars reference.

Longtime readers of my trip reports know Star Wars isn’t my thing (although I immensely enjoy Rise of the Resistance.)

Fireworks are my thing. 💥 Like a moth to a flame, I am instinctively drawn to bursts of brilliant sparkles and colors in the sky. Just ask my family how quickly I’ve stopped whatever I’m doing to find the source of nighttime booms! I have serious fireworks FOMO.

Disney fireworks....especially Magic Kingdom fireworks....always flood me with nostalgia, happy memories and hope. After a long pandemic year, I know I am not alone in my yearning for hope of better days ahead.

Every step we take
Brings a new hope
A new day

The return of Disney fireworks, for me, is a sign that things are improving. Hooray!!

But there won’t be any pyro on my upcoming trip. And that’s ok. This vacation was booked with the assumption there would be no nighttime entertainment. (However when rumors began to suggest fireworks in July…..well let’s just say there might be another reservation in MDE for us.)

Who’s us?

877B7809-2BB7-4CEE-A5F3-9DB3FA569FE9.jpeg

Mother/daughter travel buddies, Tuvalu and Em. We last visited together in early April. We were there the day the mask mandate was dropped for stationary pictures.

Today the mask mandate for all those vaccinated has been suspended and we couldn’t be happier! We won’t have to be shrouded in a daft disguise again this summer! 😉

I am not planning to do a full live report but may post a daily update. I’ll fill in the details when our vacation is over.

T-minus 3 days.
June 19 - 26, 2021
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Will any other Magicians make an appearance? Stay tuned.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
After our long, hot wait for Haunted Mansion ~

ice cream kids GIF

Poor Em had been waiting so long for the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor to reopen!

1FFFC07B-A7C8-4C27-A2F1-2332BA26E957.jpeg

The Plaza was home to her fave All-American Sundae.

3A63CD51-B396-4705-BC3B-5007494D259B.jpeg

Which was now off the menu!!

Not to worry though. Em had a hack. She added peanut butter to a hot fudge sundae. The only thing missing were the chocolate and peanut butter chips.

F537749D-C2AE-4F15-BCE1-36D60DECA353.jpeg

We easily found a table to enjoy our treats.

4D169CB4-C157-4F50-9F31-9C57B2C85B30.jpeg

My sundae came with Mickey ears!

CE9CEA71-6E1B-4A20-9ED8-2DC23B024640.jpeg

lindawdw

Wow, that HM lines was long! We waited in the line during the Physical Distancing time and it did move quicker than we thought it would but without it I'm sure it felt longer especially in the heat. You both deserved those ice cream sundaes after the HM wait!!! So glad Main Street Ice Parlor is open again. 🥰

93boomer

Premium Member
Em and I weren’t strangers to a ridiculously long Haunted Mansion queue. During our pandemic visits, the 6ft. physical distancing markers stretched all the way to the ferryboat landing and wound through the old keel boat landing.

But those markers were history. Lines had returned to pre-pandemic get-as-close-to-your-neighbor-as-possible lines.

Imagine our surprise when we saw guests queuing here again:

View attachment 587366

View attachment 587367

The physical distanced HM queue was back….without physical distancing. :in pain:

“I like the optimistic people who run past this long line thinking it is not the real queue,” Em remarked.

We headed down….

View attachment 587368

….and back around.

View attachment 587369

Getting closer….

View attachment 587370

The excessively long line made sense once we saw that the interactive graveyard queue was roped off.

View attachment 587372

She nails it every time!

View attachment 587373

View attachment 587371
It was roped off for us too. 😟But we waited until dinnertime and only had a 15 mts wait. We were not standing in that hot sun for 60 mts!

Songbird76

After our long, hot wait for Haunted Mansion ~

ice cream kids GIF

Poor Em had been waiting so long for the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor to reopen!

View attachment 587444

View attachment 587441

Not to worry though. Em had a hack. She added peanut butter to a hot fudge sundae. The only thing missing were the chocolate and peanut butter chips.

View attachment 587442

We easily found a table to enjoy our treats.

View attachment 587445

My sundae came with Mickey ears!

View attachment 587443
What?? No All-American Sundae? Why on earth did they get rid of THAT? It's similar to the no way, Jose, right? We made our own no way, Joses last week and I thought of you.

Disney Loving Swede

This may be the menu change that makes me the most angry.. ..I always switched it up with mint ice cream to get all of my favorite American ice cream items I can't get in Sweden......(I mean it was called the All-American for a reason) Overcharge me Disney but don't take away my Sundae......

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow, that HM lines was long! We waited in the line during the Physical Distancing time and it did move quicker than we thought it would but without it I'm sure it felt longer especially in the heat.

It was roped off for us too. 😟But we waited until dinnertime and only had a 15 mts wait. We were not standing in that hot sun for 60 mts!
Surprisingly the line moved consistently and our outdoor wait was right around 30 minutes. A HOT 30 minutes.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
What?? No All-American Sundae? Why on earth did they get rid of THAT? It's similar to the no way, Jose, right? We made our own no way, Joses last week and I thought of you.
Removing the All-American from the menu was perplexing. It is MK’s version of the No Way José. Since Beaches and Cream had the chocolate and peanut butter chips, there wasn’t a supply issue. My guess is they were trying to streamline the menu by having only a couple choices available upon reopening.

It was especially disheartening for Em because we had canceled a B&C ADR on our pool day.

This may be the menu change that makes me the most angry.. ..I always switched it up with mint ice cream to get all of my favorite American ice cream items I can't get in Sweden......(I mean it was called the All-American for a reason) Overcharge me Disney but don't take away my Sundae......
Hopefully if enough guests complain the sundae will return!
(It worked for ‘Ohana noodles. 😉)

Songbird76

Can you not get Mint ice cream over there, either? I LOVE it, but the only place that has it is a gelato type place here in the Summer, and they don't ALWAYS have it. But I can't get it at the grocery store at all. Hint though, if you can get flavor oils or Monin flavor syrups, get a peppermint or creme de menthe flavor and you can at least make yourself a shake, or add some to chocolate sauce. I also used to crush mint oreos over my ice cream, but they stopped carrying mint oreos, too. Apparently chocolate and mint isn't really a thing here.

Disney Loving Swede

Can you not get Mint ice cream over there, either? I LOVE it, but the only place that has it is a gelato type place here in the Summer, and they don't ALWAYS have it. But I can't get it at the grocery store at all. Hint though, if you can get flavor oils or Monin flavor syrups, get a peppermint or creme de menthe flavor and you can at least make yourself a shake, or add some to chocolate sauce. I also used to crush mint oreos over my ice cream, but they stopped carrying mint oreos, too. Apparently chocolate and mint isn't really a thing here.
Hmm...thanks for the tip, I found somewhere recently that carries the Monin flavor syrups and was thinking of trying them and since you have to order a few then that's a great idea. I love Mint and my hubby hates it lol. Lidl had mint ice cram bars but as with most Lidl things it was only for a week. And now I want ice cream. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day Six, con’t

After finishing our sundaes we took a look at attraction wait times.

24930006-AA6F-438E-AABE-F92250AFC8E3.jpeg

UGGH. And it proved we weren’t crazy ~ the park didn’t just feel super crowded, it WAS super crowded.

Time to head out for a mid-afternoon break. But first a stop in the Confectionery to pick up something for the Tuva-tinys.

FC07BB51-19E2-41DF-8688-E6D15B97ACC7.jpeg

The real store was closed for refurbishment. We entered the ConFAKEtionery™️*.

6E82C7EF-FF05-41D7-97F0-93DD2E960318.jpeg

We bypassed the dryer lint display of course.

7FB9C9EB-DC80-4B2F-A77E-405B9417F0B8.jpeg

The girls love Veggie Straws and I got them these:

D13F8190-C947-4B7F-8984-D38165BF1DB6.jpeg

Shaped like Mickey heads, they’re adorable!

Our decision to leave the park would soon be confirmed as wise.

BF6BF57F-31BA-4BB3-8168-A415CC7A5334.jpeg

INCOMING!!!

(You people are gonna get wet…..)

9472CC6D-05BB-4A24-8212-D1FA7449B706.jpeg

276CED26-955A-4652-9946-7DBCD4FC2FA8.jpeg

Em and I made it under cover at the bus station just as the storm began.

We’d seen (and ridden) a Magical Moments bus. But we’d not seen one of these at MK before.

B5A20A6E-9996-4F12-AE01-79B91C02697E.jpeg

I was dying to know what the special event was and might have asked the driver had the WL bus not been pulling in. Oh well. Some other time.

* Em wants the credit for coining ConFAKEtionery. 😁

93boomer

Premium Member
Day Six, con’t

After finishing our sundaes we took a look at attraction wait times.

View attachment 587569

UGGH. And it proved we weren’t crazy ~ the park didn’t just feel super crowded, it WAS super crowded.

Time to head out for a mid-afternoon break. But first a stop in the Confectionery to pick up something for the Tuva-tinys.

View attachment 587562

The real store was closed for refurbishment. We entered the ConFAKEtionery™️*.

View attachment 587561

We bypassed the dryer lint display of course.

View attachment 587563

The girls love Veggie Straws and I got them these:

View attachment 587570
Shaped like Mickey heads, they’re adorable!

Our decision to leave the park would soon be confirmed as wise.

View attachment 587564

INCOMING!!!

(You people are gonna get wet…..)

View attachment 587566

View attachment 587565

Em and I made it under cover at the bus station just as the storm began.

We’d seen (and ridden) a Magical Moments bus. But we’d not seen one of these at MK before.

View attachment 587567

I was dying to know what the special event was and might have asked the driver had the WL bus not been pulling in. Oh well. Some other time.

* Em wants the credit for coining ConFAKEtionery. 😁
Good one @TrolleyFollower91 !!

lindawdw

You definitely made the right choice with those rain clouds looming on the horizon!!! It's the perfect name that Em coined for the candy shop. Can't wait to walk into the real shop during our October trip as we really missed it this year during our previous trips. Love all your WL pictures.

Last edited:

Swissmiss

Premium Member

Hmm...thanks for the tip, I found somewhere recently that carries the Monin flavor syrups and was thinking of trying them and since you have to order a few then that's a great idea. I love Mint and my hubby hates it lol. Lidl had mint ice cram bars but as with most Lidl things it was only for a week. And now I want ice cream. :)

Fellow lover of mint chocolate chip Ice cream. If you are traveling within Europe, it can always be found in grocery stores in France (which means frequently in ice cream shops as well). I can’t be bothered to take my car out to do my grocery shopping (all the more so now that my apartment building has a grocery store on the ground floor 😉), but if I am having to run an errand in France and know I am coming home immediately after, I’ve been known to pick some up. 😊

(Apologies @Tuvalu for derailing 😔)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Once inside the Lodge I had a mini photo shoot
Not sure if it's just the angle/direction of your photos of the upper guestroom floors, but have all the renovations/construction finally finished at WL? (Not noticing any tarps, etc.) Haven't really been keeping up with their renovation schedule.

Anyway, loved your hotel lobby photos. Have to say that for theming and ambiance, WL nails it for my #1 design favorite, in Disney-operated hotels at WDW. ❤️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
You definitely made the right choice with those rain close looming on the horizon!!! It's the perfect name that Em coined for the candy shop. Can't wait to walk into the real shop during our October trip as we really missed it this year during our previous trips. Love all your WL pictures.
Thank U GIF by chuber channel

Not sure if it's just the angle/direction of your photos of the upper guestroom floors, but have all the renovations/construction finally finished at WL? (Not noticing any tarps, etc.) Haven't really been keeping up with their renovation schedule.

Anyway, loved your hotel lobby photos. Have to say that for theming and ambiance, WL nails it for my #1 design favorite, in Disney-operated hotels at WDW. ❤️
Christmas Fah GIF by FoilArmsandHog

LisaBelle

I hope y’all are ready to jump back in to where I left off a couple weeks ago!

Day Three, con’t

Em and I had spent a fun morning at DHS and a relaxing afternoon at the pool. We returned for another ride through Runnamuck Park followed by dinner at a familiar locale.

View attachment 583634

We were seated at the same table as last month. (Perhaps this should be called the Tu and Amy table, @ajrwdwgirl? 🤣)

View attachment 583635

The hostess who had brought us to the table glanced at the white reservation paper to see our server’s name.

“Oh, she’s good,” the hostess chirped.

Em and I cracked the code. Whenever a server is declared “good” by the person who seats you, it usually means they aren’t.

And ours wasn’t.

It took a long time for her to come over to us. Em and I were dehydrated after our HOT experience on MMRR and desperately needed water.

Okay, maybe there was something Em needed more than water….

View attachment 583636

But back to our server. She wasn’t very welcoming and appeared distracted. Not distracted by the other two tables she was servicing (which would have been understandable) but distracted by whatever thoughts were ebbing and flowing in her mind. She just wasn’t present.

She took our drink and food order simultaneously. Then she disappeared. Eventually we got our waters (and Em’s margarita) along with rolls and olive oil for dipping. The rolls were meh (not warm) and the olive oil had way too much pepper sprinkled in it.

We joked that we didn’t need the rolls anyway since we wanted plenty of room in our stomachs for the ultimate Mama Melrose entrée ~ Charred Strip Steak and Four Cheese Macaroni with Pancetta.

View attachment 583637

Is your mouth watering @LisaBelle at that picture? Mine is! Except I now remember how that steak (and Em’s also) tasted. Both steaks were very fatty and gristly….difficult to cut and to chew…to the extent that we stopped eating them before the halfway point.

Had our “good” server bothered to stop by and check on us, we would have sent the steaks back. (She didn’t even bring our meal to us; a food runner did.)

Eventually she remembered us by appearing with an “are you ready for dessert?” As I declined, I mentioned our poor quality steaks.

“Do you want another one?” she inquired, without a hint of apology.

It took 40 minutes to get these, I thought. This disappointing meal has already taken way too long.

No thank you,” I replied. “But you should let the chef know about the condition of this meat. It’s unacceptable. This steak is typically excellent and the reason we often dine here.”

She then said she would be back with the check.

We waited.

And waited.

At last she returned. “The manager said that since you only ate the equivalent of one steak you will only be charged for one steak.”

I thanked her. And I only tipped on one steak.

Her service wasn’t “good” at all.
My mouth was indeed watering until I read about the disappointing quality of my favorite meal! Fingers crossed that it will be up to par on your next visit. I need to try one of those margaritas that Em loves so much!
Thank you! ❤️ the WL photos. 🤞🏻these views will be seen by me in the not too distant future!

fractal

When the parks reopened in July 2020, rigid “rope drop” procedures were errr….dropped. Every day the parks opened earlier than the official time with soft openings for attractions. This was protocol for physical distancing, to spread out the crowds.

The “new” procedure lasted a year. Now, the last week of July 2021, the parks were transitioning back to regular rope drop.

Guests were gathered in the hub and entrances to each land were blocked by CMs.

View attachment 586734

Every 5 minutes there was a recorded announcement over the loudspeakers: “Please enjoy all of our shops and restaurants on Main Street until our attractions open at 9 am.”

In other words, PLEASE SPEND MONEY.

At 9 am on the dot there was a welcome announcement with horn fanfare. There were no characters on the castle stage. Just a recorded, “And now let the magic begin!”

CMs dropped their ropes and guests hurried on their way.

And hurry they did. Numerous people in the Peter Pan line had to step off to the side while waiting for the rest of their parties catch up. Here’s a thought ~ Don’t race to get in line if your party isn’t all together!

Em and I had kept a normal walking pace to Peter Pan. We joined the line (which moved continually) and only waited 15 minutes before boarding our pirate ship.

View attachment 586735

During our time in the queue we (ok mostly me) conversed with the family behind us: Mom, Dad and two kids under 8. Dad was excitedly telling his kids they were going to ride It’s a Small World next, it was one of his favorites as a child, dolls from every country, etc. I hated that I had to to pop his bubble with the news that IASW had closed the day before for a short refurbishment.

Dad was dejected of course, until I asked him if they had another visit to MK planned.

“Friday,” he replied.

“Oh it’s reopening on Friday!” I said. “You can see it then.”

He then asked which attraction they should visit after Peter Pan and what rides I would recommend for his kids. I gave him some suggestions, along with the touring order.

Which prompted him to ask, “Do you live here?” (Should I have said yes, @King Raccoon 77?)

I laughed and said I was a frequent visitor with many years experience. Later, when our pirate ship came to a halt here for several minutes…..

View attachment 586736

…..I felt sorry that the family’s very first WDW ride was a broken one!

Our next stop was an urgent one, thanks to someone’s coffee.

View attachment 586737

No Arty Pooh, but Pooh was attraction #2!

View attachment 586738

View attachment 586739

View attachment 586740

Yes, yes I do live here!

Day Six, con’t

After Pooh we went to another Fantasyland favorite.

Now prepare yourself for the “artsy-ist” of my “artsy” photos.

Are you ready?

I have absolutely no idea how the following picture resulted from an iPhone but here it is:

View attachment 587029

And Em’s hat magically disappeared!

View attachment 587030

Sometimes boarding a clam mobile can be a real struggle.

View attachment 587031

But no problem for us today.

View attachment 587032

We waved for Woody in abstentia.

View attachment 587033

The most exciting part of our journey was the exit, since the “real” exit was back in use. No more winding through Ariel’s Grotto!

View attachment 587034

Looks like the camera's computational AI system went a bit wonky. But nothing to worry about too much.

Terminator_Screencap_15.0.jpg

The wait was posted at 30 minutes.

View attachment 587349

New writing on the beam.

View attachment 587350

Happy our wait was ten minutes less than what was posted.

View attachment 587351

One hungry hippo….

View attachment 587352

The dancing natives had been removed from this scene. A month later the hut itself was gone.

View attachment 587353

Another mystery would soon be revealed.

View attachment 587354
I wish they would stop monkeying around. 🙈 🙉 🙊

A few skipper puns:

“At the boat rental stand you can rent a deluxe paddle or a regular paddle. There’s really no difference as it’s just either OAR.”

“See the snake in sittin’ in the tree. H-I-S-S-I-N-G !”

“The lions are eating their favorite way. With pride.”

When real life meets animated life….

View attachment 587355
Do you see it?

Trader Sam may be gone but his gift shop lingers on.

View attachment 587356

Are they really adding a ride photo to this attraction?

View attachment 587357

I truly hope the sign is a joke. A Jungle Cruise ride photo would be even worse than a Pirates ride photo!

that's a nice photo of you on the boat!

Speaking of Pirates, we bypassed it in favor of an early lunch. (As in @Doc Disney and Mary early! :jawdrop: :joyfull:)

View attachment 587365

Oh toppings bar, how we miss thee!

View attachment 587361

View attachment 587364

Why are there always shrieking children (not pictured) in this restaurant?! My ears can’t take it!!!

Before.
View attachment 587362

After.
View attachment 587363
Not exactly a chicken rice bowl, but I managed not to make a mess with it.

Bellies full, we went in search of otherworldly friends.

Shirley status still going strong!
Shirley-MacLaine-Variety-Legends.jpg

Em and I weren’t strangers to a ridiculously long Haunted Mansion queue. During our pandemic visits, the 6ft. physical distancing markers stretched all the way to the ferryboat landing and wound through the old keel boat landing.

But those markers were history. Lines had returned to pre-pandemic get-as-close-to-your-neighbor-as-possible lines.

Imagine our surprise when we saw guests queuing here again:

View attachment 587366

View attachment 587367

The physical distanced HM queue was back….without physical distancing. :in pain:

“I like the optimistic people who run past this long line thinking it is not the real queue,” Em remarked.

We headed down….

View attachment 587368

….and back around.

View attachment 587369

Getting closer….

View attachment 587370

The excessively long line made sense once we saw that the interactive graveyard queue was roped off.

View attachment 587372

She nails it every time!

View attachment 587373

View attachment 587371

Except for the HM apparently...

6a01053653b3c7970b026bdecd94c8200c-600wi

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom