Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Splashin' Ryan

This is what is truly messed up, placing a lightning lane sign on an attraction that regular lighting lane purchasers won't even be able to go on without an additional purchase.
This is blatant false advertising no? It has the same name but an extra charge that isn't advertised.

jpinkc

I'm a bit confused.

1. "Family coasters" can indeed be "mid-tier," like Slinky Dog Dash. People argue whether 7DMT and BTM are E-tickets or not. And thus some would argue that they are also mid-tier.

2. Family coasters are not kiddie coasters. Goofy's Stunt coaster is a kiddie coaster. By definition, a 'Family Coaster' appeals to adults, too, i.e., the parents in the family.

3. The dark rides you mention as an antidote to a "kiddie" reputation are indeed "kiddie rides." Something like HM or PotC would be dark rides for the family, thus they would be "Family Dark Rides."

Disney is all about "the four quadrants," i.e., boys, girls, men, women.
1. Oh I agree Family coasters those 3 are prime examples and 2 of them I have ridden and love. Those are mid tier to me too, but capacity wise I am not sure about.

2 Yes Goofys coaster and that one they had in AK were kiddie coasters. Slinky I am on the fence about as I have not ridden it yet and lets face it Toy Story (which I love) is aimed at kids primarily.

3 Yes thats the kind of rides I mean. HM & PotC are good family dark rides with pretty high capacity. I loved Mr Toads at WDW, scary yet still fun for the whole family. Hell I enjoyed TGMR, and have since I was a kid. I agree some relevance was lost over time as the ride aged, but still a good family Dark ride.

I just think they could do so much more than Slinging Coasters everywhere. Hell imagine if they did Sleepy Hollow ride, scary and fun. Still think the Mary Poppins ride should have been done years ago. There is plenty Disney could add easier and cheaper than Coasters. I dont mind a cloned ride if it at least lives up to the original either.

Parker in NYC

This is what is truly messed up, placing a lightning lane sign on an attraction that regular lighting lane purchasers won't even be able to go on without an additional purchase.
This is blatant false advertising no? It has the same name but an extra charge that isn't advertised.

Maybe Disney’s finally realized that ROTR is their biggest and most expensive attraction ops failure ever (Test Track, you thought you were bad!). Rocket Rods had the good sense to die. But ROTR isn’t worth the trouble of paid admission. I mean on top of your park admission. And the VIP crowd.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Couple more pics of Lighting Lane signs at Tomrrowland Speedway and Journey of the Little Mermaid.

Disney-Genie_Full_43948.jpg

pdude81

I assume you mean Genie+ purchasers. Lightning lane is the line itself so they will all say that.

MickeyLuv'r

One could also ask why they would build an attraction they knew would have the very highest demand but with a capacity no where close to being able to meet that demand. Rise of Resistance has less of hourly capacity than some attractions built 50 years ago when attendance was a fraction what it is now. Of course we all know the answer to that question.
Let us suppose for a moment, that WDW built an attraction with the high expectations of a ride like Rise or FoP, but with such high capacity that waits were kept short. That just wouldn't go over very well. If the wait was short, people would instantly start to wonder why the wait was so short. Of course we all know, only lame rides have short waits.

Or maybe the ride is okay, but if there's no wait, there's no urgency to ride it.

On the other hand, let's suppose the park came up with like a lottery system for deciding who gets to ride. Set it up so it is like a slot machine. First, people will be excited when they 'win' a golden ticket, AND they will get to brag about actually riding the ride. Maybe put this lottery in a park that kind of sucks, so you know, maybe people will go there twice as much just to see it they will 'win' the ride lottery. Oh, wait.

rkleinlein

Oh look: another professional looking Lightning Lane sign.

What a HALF-A$$ED job. What an embarrassment.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but given the sloppy design (architecture, interior decor, theming, signage, etc.) that now characterizes WDW, I will not be surprised if the sloppily camouflaged Fast Pass lettering just stays visible for the long term. Why bother at this point?
1631131975823.png

SteveAZee

What do you mean by 'capacity'?

If we're measuring People Per Hour, let's say a short coaster launches a train with 100 people every minute. Then that is 6,000 PPH.

Now, let's lengthen the track so that there are three times as many trains running on the tracks at the same time. Does that increase capacity in terms of PPH?

Not if they still launch one train every minute. A longer track does not necessarily increase the tempo of launches. The capacity will still be 6,000 PH.

Now, if they add more sections/blocks that are shorter, then maybe they could increase the rate of launches and increase PPH capacity.

The better way to increase capacity is with a second or third track which most definitely doubles or triples PPH capacity (and allows for the attraction to continue to handle guests if one track goes down).

Lengthening coasters increases guest satisfaction, but doesn't necessarily increase PPH thorughput.
Is there a metric for the number of people hours a ride has? Something that combines the rate at which people can start the ride and the time they're actually being entertained on that ride? At one end is something like Horizons (or SSE) that can load a lot of people but also entertains them for a long time, and at the other end is something like Astro Orbiter where the ride is short and the PPH is low? Entertainment hours I guess you could call it? (Number of guests x time spent on the ride) per hour? Just wondering.

MickeyLuv'r

Family coasters are not kiddie coasters. Goofy's Stunt coaster is a kiddie coaster. By definition, a 'Family Coaster' appeals to adults, too, i.e., the parents in the family.
Something that has always slightly intrigued me is that Flight of the Hippogriff, Goofy's Barnstormer, and Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse coaster are - more or less - the same ride.

FoH: 1099 feet, height: 43 feet, duration: 1:06 min, Vekoma junior, designer: Peter Clerx.
Woody: 680feet, height 28 feet, duration: 45seconds, Vekoma Junior, designer: Peter Clerx.
Goofy: 780 feet, height 30 feet, duration: 60 seconds, Vekoma Junior, designer: Peter Clerx.

Yet they are perceived very differently. Flight of Hippogriff is much more thought of as family coaster. Woody is unfortunately located in the 'kiddie' part of US; many parkgoers don't even go to that whole quadrant of the park.

And just for even more hoots:

7DMT: 2001 feet, height: 41feet, duration: ?, custom Vekoma, designer: Peter Cleryx. It has 2 lift hills instead of just one.

(source: rcdb.com)

It is also worthwhile to recall the plight of Dumbo. Before it was relocated, Dumbo almost always had a solid 30 min wait. Now it is usually a complete walk-on. Oddly, Astro Orbiters' popularity has waxed and waned over the years. Also oddly, Triceratops Spin has never been very popular. One Fish Two Fish is fairly popular. If only WDW had added spitting geysers and a song to their ride!

disneygeek90

It is also worthwhile to recall the plight of Dumbo. Before it was relocated, Dumbo almost always had a solid 30 min wait. Now it is usually a complete walk-on. Oddly, Astro Orbiters' popularity has waxed and waned over the years. Also oddly, Triceratops Spin has never been very popular. One Fish Two Fish is fairly popular. If only WDW had added spitting geysers and a song to their ride!
Dumbo mostly benefited from the second "track" more than anything. It's also way more recognizable as a classic Disney attraction more so than Triceratops Spin.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let us suppose for a moment, that WDW built an attraction with the high expectations of a ride like Rise or FoP, but with such high capacity that waits were kept short. That just wouldn't go over very well. If the wait was short, people would instantly start to wonder why the wait was so short. Of course we all know, only lame rides have short waits.

Or maybe the ride is okay, but if there's no wait, there's no urgency to ride it.

On the other hand, let's suppose the park came up with like a lottery system for deciding who gets to ride. Set it up so it is like a slot machine. First, people will be excited when they 'win' a golden ticket, AND they will get to brag about actually riding the ride. Maybe put this lottery in a park that kind of sucks, so you know, maybe people will go there twice as much just to see it they will 'win' the ride lottery. Oh, wait.
But that’s kinda irrelevant because one ride can’t lure trips anymore. People go…or they don’t…

people are there…or they’re not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom