News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
So the Contemporary is used for conventions, right?

Does decorating the rooms with Pixar characters say “sophisticated” to you? Is this really going to go down well with the convention crowd?

I fully admit, I really, really detest the style of animation used in the movie, so have never watched it. I know I’ll be in a minority there. But it just looks tacky to me, like a kids playroom. Urgh.
The convention crowd thing is a good point and is definitely something that makes me scratch my head about this choice for this resort.

As far as the animation style of the Incredibles, I totally get it. It doesn't bother me, but I can totally get where you're coming from.

You want to talk about unpopular minority opinion? That's Lilo & Stitch for me.
I don't get those weird noses and cankles, the animation style just adds to my dislike of Stitch as character in general.

Missing20K

I’m old enough to remember when “Disney” just meant being at the resorts or parks and one didn’t need constant reminders to inform the occupant as to their present location on earth. The well-themed spaces, unique experiences and impeccable hospitality are what told someone they were at “Disney” and not anywhere else.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Does decorating the rooms with Pixar characters say “sophisticated” to you? Is this really going to go down well with the convention crowd?
I get where you are coming from, but I really don't think that even factors into it. Disney is going to have a high occupancy rate at the hotel regardless of how it's decorated. Convention guests are just happy to be on a free trip to WDW, and I think the prospect of being in a brand new room will appeal to that market.

Skywise

Do people really complain there is no IP in the Contemporary or the Polynesian? I find it hard to believe...
There is plenty of IP all around, it doesn't need to be in the rooms...not the way they have done it anyway... These rooms are adorable for Art Of Animation, but not in the Tower of the Contemporary... Do up the Garden wings as IP themed family suites, but the Contemporary tower should have remained modern and more luxe .
On the Contemporary - I have. My main issue was the "barren" feeling of the lobby and to a lesser extent the mezzanine which feels more like a 1980s shopping mall aesthetic. The rooms were fine. It seemed to me that, being the flagship resort of WDW, that it should (and did at one time) have a Mickey statue in the lobby or some light touches of IP.

nickys

Premium Member
I get where you are coming from, but I really don't think that even factors into it. Disney is going to have a high occupancy rate at the hotel regardless of how it's decorated. Convention guests are just happy to be on a free trip to WDW, and I think the prospect of being in a brand new room will appeal to that market.
If I was going to a convention I would expect to be staying in a similar standard of room to what I was used to having when away on business.

As such, if ai was organising one I would have GDT or YC at the top of my list. And the Contemporary as a no way. Would look elsewhere in Orlando for something more in keeping with business class decor. I’d be embarrassed to have my guests stay in what looks like a child’s play room.

But I guess you’re right.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
If I was going to a convention I would expect to be staying in a similar standard of room to what I was used to having when away on business.

As such, if ai was organising one I would have GDT or YC at the top of my list. And the Contemporary as a no way. Would look elsewhere in Orlando for something more in keeping with business class decor. I’d be embarrassed to have my guests stay in what looks like a child’s play room.

But I guess you’re right.
You should see convention guests at WDW - it is like they have won the lottery!

EdnaMode

Wish I had followed your lead! I have reservations for the 50th weekend (9/30 - 10/4) which I made back in May 2020, at almost $900 a night (Tower - Theme Park View). These rooms are nowhere near worth that price. Maybe they will look somewhat better in person. So, I guess I'm really stuck with the reservation with only a few more months to go. Or decide not to go at all which as a WDW fanatic, I will not do!

I'm sick to my stomach right now about our $963/night reservation for roughly the same time frame....I'm not sure whether we'll be keeping it. I really do love Contemporary and was so looking forward to this redesign -- I'm just stunned right now. There's not a lot of availability around that time frame, but we're seriously considering switching.

We have a reservation at Polynesian coming up in several weeks, and I'm way more interested in that refurbished room.

Minnesota disney fan

Well, thanks Disney for killing my dream of staying at the CR! I've always wanted to stay there and was going to fit it in on our next trip.
However, now, no way. It looks childish, sterile, out of place for the CR. Why did they do this? I hope they listen to the feedback about this disaster. It is sad that people will still pay the crazy price for this anyway. I know some people like it and it's fine, we all have different taste or everyone would want to stay at my favorite, POR, LOL. But I feel the design won't keep alot of people away. We just have to wait and see.
for me? I will stay at POR or POFQ, and maybe switch to another resort for my "dream" resort.

Touchdown

Is there still a desk/drawers on the wall of the bathroom? There are no pictures of that wall and if they are gone then their are none in the room.

GimpYancIent

Well, thanks Disney for killing my dream of staying at the CR! I've always wanted to stay there and was going to fit it in on our next trip.
However, now, no way. It looks childish, sterile, out of place for the CR. Why did they do this? I hope they listen to the feedback about this disaster. It is sad that people will still pay the crazy price for this anyway. I know some people like it and it's fine, we all have different taste or everyone would want to stay at my favorite, POR, LOL. But I feel the design won't keep alot of people away. We just have to wait and see.
for me? I will stay at POR or POFQ, and maybe switch to another resort for my "dream" resort.
Fully get it. Not that CR was ever high on my list of places to stay when at WDW but now it is completely dropped from my list.

Weather_Lady

Do people really complain there is no IP in the Contemporary or the Polynesian? I find it hard to believe...
There is plenty of IP all around, it doesn't need to be in the rooms...not the way they have done it anyway... These rooms are adorable for Art Of Animation, but not in the Tower of the Contemporary... Do up the Garden wings as IP themed family suites, but the Contemporary tower should have remained modern and more luxe .
I agree. While I personally don't have a huge issue with IP in Disney rooms (albeit preferably subtle and on-theme), I think IP's highest and best use is in spaces aimed at families and children -- more like they do at the Universal hotels. They're highly themed (e.g., Royal Pacific = tropical, Hard Rock = music and memorabilia, Cabana Bay = 50's retro, etc.) but only a few rooms (e.g., Jurassic World family suites at Royal Pacific, Despicable Me family suites at Portofino Bay) contain any Universal IP, and even then, all the character/movie references are confined to the "kids' room" of the suites.

At a Disney resort, I enjoy the way theming allows me to imagine for a moment that I've escaped to another place (the Caribbean, New England, Africa, etc.). I don't want to be so heavily surrounded by IP references that I'm constantly reminded that I'm... still at Disney World. ;)

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I'll make sure to hang my suit on the Mr. Incredible portion of the closet next time I'm there on business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom