News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlwise2021

That works great if all WDW guests are OC residents, but they’re not. I don’t see the correlation and, if there is, it’s pretty much pointless.
One good thing actually is that the US rolling average is already under 5%, so this is a good representation of guests visiting. Since Disney has been following OC’s guidance, I kind of think they will continue to do so when the county moves to Phase III once the rolling 14 day average is under 5%, and then this will also show that the county is under 5% like the whole US average is right now.

Attachments

• 89F91733-D076-417D-9A01-F03FE66227A7.jpeg
    89F91733-D076-417D-9A01-F03FE66227A7.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 49

disneygeek90

I didn’t opine on what WDW should do. I was just stating what Orange County’s regulations are and what metrics Orange County is using for determining phases, which governs (theoretically) WDW. I would note that the national positivity rate is lower, so perhaps WDW should use that for determining policy rather than Orange County’s? Most Covid 19 metrics are better on a national level as compared to Florida, so maybe WDW is being too conservative?
Theoretically. And yet, WDW had a mask mandate before OC.

I’d say state or country wise is much more legitimate than county numbers. County is just too small of a sample size.

DisneyCane

I’m not making assumptions, I’m reading what you wrote. You specifically said the hostess made you.

And the reason you are required to wear your mask while walking to and from your table is because you will likely not be physically distant from other parties while on the way. Once seated at your table you are properly distanced from other parties.
You'll only be near them for 3 seconds. Unless you are symptomatic and go out of your way to cough or sneeze on them you aren't going to spread COVID to anybody in that scenario.

DisneyCane

Better folks out there than me to answer this but some experts predict the 5% 2 week average will come before the 70% first shot. I'm thinking end of June.

Should be much faster than that. Broward County positivity dropped like a rock after around 54% of adults had at least one shot. I'd be shocked if it took more than a week or two for the OC average to drop 0.7% further.

DisneyCane

Theoretically. And yet, WDW had a mask mandate before OC.

I’d say state or country wise is much more legitimate than county numbers. County is just too small of a sample size.
WDW had it as part of the plan to reopen that had to be approved by the Governor. It is a myth that FL never had mitigation measures. That, and input from unions.

legwand77

I wouldn't be surprised if they hit this next week. If not, then certainly the following week. This metric drops quickly. For the week starting 5/1, the number was 5.44% and for the week starting 5/8 it was 4.72%. This has been trending down in OC for weeks and will likely be lower, perhaps much lower, next week.
It already is below 5% 14 day rolling average, if you use the state reported numbers for the county. However, I imagine they are using date of specimen which lags a few days. It will will most likely hit below 5% this week for sure, and it looks like it will by Wednesday for sure after 5/2 and 5/3 drop off the 14 days. Chart below is for Orange County.

Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 1.31.32 AM.png

Last edited:

legwand77

Nothing except maybe the union agreements. Likely it's to make people with children under 12 who can't be vaccinated feel safe since that's a large percentage of guests.

Plus they probably would like to avoid to come off as ignoring Mayor Demings orders, even though the order probably has no legal standing, it makes for good relations.

Nickp1983

Nothing except maybe the union agreements. Likely it's to make people with children under 12 who can't be vaccinated feel safe since that's a large percentage of guests.
Universal doesn't have Unions, right? I can see it stopping Disney but why hasn't Universal then?

I donf think it's far fetched that Disney is working with Universal and Orange County so they are all on the same page. It's for the greater good that they are consistent since it makes tourists more likely to visit since they all seem to be doing the same thing. Gives them more confidence.

ToTBellHop

That works great if all WDW guests are OC residents, but they’re not. I don’t see the correlation and, if there is, it’s pretty much pointless.
Disney, in general, follows the laws in the state and county where they are located. They don’t follow New Jersey’s tax laws, ride safety laws, worker safety rules, or Covid rules. Yet people from New Jersey visit.

GaBoy

I think June is fast (we're halfway done with May), but yes, we'll need to ease into it!
I bet (I know nothing mind you) that by mid June (if things keep rocking on like they are) masks are optional altogether. That will be 4 weeks from the outside optional just implemented, CDC says its okay now, OC should be at least a week or two dropped, more stuff open in the parks and Bobby needs his $1.2B back. The bigger point being that capacity will be wide open and a few weeks ahead of the 4th to test drive full capacity. And, Disney is not afraid to turn things on a dime. There is no way they ease anyone into this. That is setting them up as telegraphing doubt in their decision. They follow the mandates and stand behind the CDC and local official's guidance. They are a loaded spring waiting to get things out of the red.

Nickp1983

I'm really looking forward to research studies that will be released I'm 5 to 7 years time about masks. I still think what the CdC did has more to do with removing a method of protection that in reality didn't offer much protection.. in order to influence people to get a vaccine that actually offers real protection.

Just my take...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Disney will certainly not be removing indoor masks in June. C’mon. And the CDC certainly did not suggest that is safe. Don’t twist their words. How many kids under 12 do you think come to WDW on a given day?

Be thankful they gave us this. It was expedited and I’m unaware of any further changes in the works. The focus now is reducing distancing, which is a large task.

Nickp1983

Disney will certainly not be removing indoor masks in June. C’mon. And the CDC certainly did not suggest that is safe. Don’t twist their words. How many kids under 12 do you think come to WDW on a given day?
It's funny how the pendulum swings, isn't it?
We went from one side saying the we need to follow the CDC and follow the science... to people now twisting their words in order to claim their freedom is being taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom