News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Brer Panther

Well, then I guess the financial problems that will happen as a result of this are but a small price to pay for looking good in front of the eyes of people on Twitter.

lazyboy97o

How many times does it need to be proven that this was approved way before anyone on twitter said anything? 🙄
Developed and approved are not the same thing. This project was almost certainly not approved well before its announcement given that Disney admitted to having not done any due diligence in assessing the state of the ride facilities prior to the announcement. That doesn’t mean the idea came from Twitter as legal would not allow it to happen, but something triggered a rushed approval without any actual details.

Last edited:
I feel like there is a lot of pressure to get the retheme right. Splash is continually among the highest rated attractions in the parks, AND this is a pretty high profile project, no matter what the motivations are. If Disney botches it, there will be a STUNNING amount of bad publicity. If there is any motivator for the mouse besides bags of money, it's potentially bad publicity. I'm feeling pretty good about the idea that they would delay it significantly (if it's a CAPEX issue) vs. gut the budget.
You’re totally right. They knew they were touching a park icon, so they know they have to do it right. We’ve had some really rushed projects in the past, but I feel like with something so sentimental they want to get to right. We don’t have much info, but I feel like the storyline would be rich in detail and sets should be gorgeous to impress rather than disappoint the splash fans.

ToTBellHop

All wishful thinking. They can't and won't step back on it after talking about it again 8 months after the announcement.
They could—if they coupled it with an announcement that they would showcase Tiana elsewhere. Not saying they will, but there are plenty of venues at DHS that could house a PatF show.

But, I think the most-likely course is to retheme Splash, just push it toward 2024.

Brer Panther

Anybody who thinks Disney isn't doing this because of the petitions is kidding themselves. Remember, Disney initially brushed off The Princess and the Frog as a flop because it didn't make as much money as expected, seeing it as proof that hand-drawn movies were dangerous. And now they're building a ride for it? In that case, where are the Atlantis and Home on the Range rides?

lazyboy97o

Anybody who thinks Disney isn't doing this because of the petitions is kidding themselves. Remember, Disney initially brushed off The Princess and the Frog as a flop because it didn't make as much money as expected, seeing it as proof that hand-drawn movies were dangerous. And now they're building a ride for it? In that case, where are the Atlantis and Home on the Range rides?
Bob Iger also explicitly said Disney would not invest in a Ratatouille ride. You’re narrative is garbage that completely misses how Disney operates. There is no way in hell that the lawyers at Disney would allow them to use an unsolicited concept developed outside the company.

Stupido

Yes, Princess and the Frog's theatrical run was absolutely considered a flop. But in the eleven years since it’s release, it’s been a streaming juggernaut on Netflix and Disney+. A lot of people who missed it in theaters have fallen in love with it on streaming. The characters have all grown in popularity, and Tiana has earned her spot as a beloved princess.

Last edited:

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
You’re kidding, right? If you actually believe that the petitions are what got it done, then you know absolutely nothing about the workings of pretty much every major conglomerate. Due to the size of these companies, projects such as this need to be approved by multiple heads of multiple different parts of the company. Budgets need to be drawn up, many passes of Concept Art need to be made, a story has to be devised, and a team needs to be put together to create the project. And most important of all, the project needs to be pitched and approved by the CEO. That’s the way it’s been at Imagineering since the mid ’80s. Disney has NEVER listened to any section of the outside public, for any reason whatsoever, all their decisions are about making money for their shareholders, and that alone. If they did, Mr. Toad would still be open at WDW, the Yeti would be fixed, and Horizons would still be open.
Bob Iger also explicitly said Disney would not invest in a Ratatouille ride. You’re narrative is garbage that completely misses how Disney operates. There is no way in hell that the lawyers at Disney would allow them to use an unsolicited concept developed outside the company.
And to add to this, if it really was because of the petitions, the person who first started the petitions could legally sue Disney for stealing their idea. It’s the same principle of why the cast and crew of any tv show or movie cannot read fanfiction of said tv show or movie.

Haymarket2008

This is not true. This has been in the pipeline for at least a year or two. Recent events sped up the announcement, but it was coming.

MerlinTheGoat

That’s not the process.
Indeed. In fact, Splash Mountain itself was conceptualized and had a plan and model built without Michael Eisner (or Frank Wells) knowing about it beforehand. The story about how it came about is quite well known too. Eisner was given a tour of imagineering in the mid 1980s and was being pitched ideas from imagineers. Splash Mountain wasn't even among these ideas. A model of the ride was shoved into a back corner and Eisner's son spotted it and showed interest. This is what caused Eisner to take notice of it and decide to consider it.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You didn’t read it. Let me say it again; THE PROJECT HAS TO BE PITCHED TO THE CEO, AND THEN APPROVED BY HIM, THEN A TEAM MUST BE PUT TOGETHER, MULTIPLE PASSES AT CONCEPT ART MUST BE DRAWN UP, A STORY NEEDS TO BE CREATED, AND THE PROJECT MUST BE BUDGETED. THIS PROCESS TAKES MONTHS, POSSIBLY A YEAR. AND WHY THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT‘S HAPPENING AT WDI? WHY DID THEY CANCEL THE MAIN STREET THEATER? WHY DOES HARMONIOUS LOOK SO BAD? I DON’T KNOW!!!! SO WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME?!?!
Uhh... Are you okay fam?

Last edited by a moderator:

WillWrambles

In the Parks
No
Uhh... Are you okay fam?
I feel very, very disrespected that he not only did not read my original posting, but delivered a snarky comment. If ya read my post then deliever disagreeing snark? That’s fine. Totally ignore my post and snark? I don’t like that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom