News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Brer Panther

In theory this explanation could take place in the queue of the ride - we certainly have enough time standing around waiting to ride. But that would only work for those who are at WDW intending to ride, and might not appease the cancel culture.

I have not seen SotS and have to assume that it is as racist as it is said. But to me, it seems that the protests must be against the story of Brer Rabbit - not SotS - since Disney has essentially expunged SotS and could easily make the statement that Brer Rabbit existed separate from the movie and that no one is able to see the movie anymore.

Just because it is a story from black culture doesn't mean that it is racist. That's my concern with this. Get rid of the Confederate monuments and Confederate flag - sure. But this? Doesn't make sense to me
It mainly stems from the fact that Song of the South is an easy target.

LastoneOn

So far, I’m hearing that Splash Mountain the ride is found to be differentiated enough from Song of the South the film that the racially insensitive aspects of the film are not carried over to the ride. Obviously some people may disagree, but this seems like a valid and understandable position to me, and seems the likely position Disney had when green lighting the project in the first place and keeping it open since then.

I’m also hearing that those who are against the changes are skeptical about the number and sincerity of people who find the ride offensive. I’m not sure what sort of evidence could possibly exist that people are truly offended (protests? boycotts?), but it seems that complaints on social media are not taken as sufficient. Of course, only Disney would know the number or quality of complaints they may have received about the ride, and I’m pretty sure they’re not going to release that information.

There has been lots of discussion about the song, Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah (along with “Turkey in the Straw”) being an iteration of an old minstrel song. It seems those who are against the changes don’t believe any relation between the songs is significant enough to warrant changes. Disney may disagree with this one, but it does seem open to interpretation.

Finally, those who are against the changes generally can imagine a scenario in which their support for the ride would be reconsidered- more evidence of a genuinely offended party or the release of hidden information about malintent. If such information does exist, Disney certainly isn’t sharing it.

Anything I’m missing?

Again, I appreciate those of you who took the time to respond, and I truly am sorry that you’re losing an attraction you love.
its complicated isn't it. Far more so than the breathless media would have you believe.

lazyboy97o

So let me see if I got this straight. To make the park more inclusive, Disney is going to remove an attraction based on Black American folk tales for a retheme primarily featuring a non-human character from a film mostly written by Caucasians (2 outta 3, Rob Edwards is the exception) and pushing aside the Black lead. This doesn't even make sense in Fantasyland.
Don't forget the big finale that celebrates cultural appropriation, colonialism and slavery built in the places where those very atrocities occurred.

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
Apparently, the plot of the retheme is Louis trying to find his trumpet and getting into whacky shenanigans.
Gran Fiesta: "Where's Donald?"
Mickey's Philharmagic: "Where's the sorcerer's hat?"
The Seas with Nemo and Friends: "Where's Nemo?"
POTC: "Where's Jack Sparrow?"
Dinosaur: "Where's the Iguanodon?"
MMRR: "Where's Goofy?"

And now the Splash retheme: "Where's Louis's trumpet?"

Can we all agree the search & quest storyline has been used... enough.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

Splash's story, music, and atmosphere is textbook classic Disney.

but hey.. a gator looking for an instrument is just as charming amirite? 🤮

Brer Oswald

The McGuffin plots are tired, but it feels like that’s all WDI can really come up with when developing original plotlines for their short attractions.

Capt. Hook

In the Parks
No
but hey.. a gator looking for an instrument is just as charming amirite? 🤮
The McGuffin plots are tired, but it feels like that’s all WDI can really come up with when developing original plotlines for their short attractions.
Imagineering classes of recent decades be like...
111820a.jpg

999th Happy Haunt

Imagination: “Where’s the exit?”

RSoxNo1

Splash Mountain is my favorite ride in the Magic Kingdom and my second favorite ride in all of WDW, I have three Splash Mountain posters on display in my house.

I don't believe the ride itself is racist, but the source material is racist by past, present and future definitions of the word. If the source material causes anyone to feel "less than" than I understand the need for change.

What I absolutely will object to is doing this change on the cheap. Racial issues aside, Splash Mountain is an iconic ride and if they're going to replace it, they need to replace it with something better.

Thematic integrity also has to play a part here. Splash Mountain wasn't the best fit in Florida and I'd love to see them take this opportunity to fix that. Western River Expedition makes a ton of sense for Florida. Having said that, Princess and the Frog makes a ton of sense for California and if they debut it there first that could make the sales pitch to Florida much easier.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It might be. We’ll have to wait and see.

Unfortunately for me, I can't really stand mission breakout, chase a baby, hyperspace mountain, for multiple reasons.. and PafF mountain has all of the ingredients in my cookbook for yet another major disappointment. IMO.

_caleb

Unfortunately for me, I can't really stand mission breakout, chase a baby, hyperspace mountain, for multiple reasons.. and PafF mountain has all of the ingredients in my cookbook for yet another major disappointment. IMO.

Ok, but what do you like (besides Splash Mountain)?

_caleb

I don't know if I want to add more fuel to this fire... but why not.

If we're actually talking about offensive subject matter.. It was only 4 years ago that Disney was scrubbing all references to Alligators.
Do you not think that was appropriate, given the horrific thing that happened? And do you not see how they needed guests to not be reminded of that? Or how maybe time makes a difference with stuff like that vs. ”offensive subject matter?”

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom