One Sentence Competition, Season 6, Episode 1 - The Soft Reboot

Suchomimus

That old entrance was kinda ugly, but it was unique and had character! It wasn't just a boring rip off of the weakest Florida park entrance!
This is an old drawing but I think this would have been a better entrance, don’t you?

photo-2.jpg

Engine ears: yes, it may have been a toy store but dang it, it was attached to a train. If that isn't cool idk what is
I kinda wish CA had its own railroad to mirror Disneyland’s; maybe modeled after those from the Santa Fe’s rival and partner that nearly formed a merger in 1983, the Southern Pacific or the Western Pacific since they had a flagship train as part of the store?

Last edited:

TwilightZone

This is an old drawing but I think this would have been a better entrance, don’t you?

photo-2.jpg

I kinda wish CA had its own railroad to mirror Disneyland’s; maybe modeled after those from the Santa Fe’s near merge partner from 1983, the Southern Pacific or the Western Pacific since they had a flagship train as part of the store?
Yes, I agree with both! The new dca entrance is so bland and something like that would've really helped it! And why doesn't DCA have it's own train is beyond me, trains are like so much Cali and Disney culture that it should've been considered for the 2010's DCA at least!

Suchomimus

And why doesn't DCA have it's own train is beyond me, trains are like so much Cali and Disney culture that it should've been considered for the 2010's DCA at least!
That could’ve had been part of a better second expansion plan along with a Hollywood Backlot revamp and expansion and the Condor Flats retheme. I actually like S.W. Wilson’s idea of creating a mega land that romanticizes parts of old L.A. with the current 20s set Buena Vista St. as the entrance, Hollywood Blvd. representing the 30s, Toontown replacing the area that includes Mike & Sully and the new home of Mickey and the gang + Roger Rabbit, and Sunset Blvd. as 40s L.A..

Brer Panther

Muppet Party Nights
1603637961854.png
The Muppets are back at Disney's California Adventure - and in retaliation for being kicked out of the park back in 2015 for a crappy sing-a-long, they're taking it over! Many of the park's attractions receive surprise appearances by the Muppets (Gonzo appears in the Incredicoaster, Fozzie and Bobo have invaded Grizzly River Run, Sweetums and the other Muppet monsters appear in the Monsters Inc. ride, Pepe pops up at one point during the Little Mermaid ride, etc.) and the dining locations have all gained Muppet-themed items, but the highlight of the event is definitely a live street party in Hollywood Land hosted by Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem. There's loud music, dancing, alcoholic drinks, flashing lights, and even some fireworks courtesy of Crazy Harry - it's definitely not to be missed, unless you're a stick-in-the-mud like Sam the Eagle.

Bonus: The bars in Disney's California Adventure all serve a special new kind of alcoholic drink for the event: Muppet Labs' Bunsen Brew, a mix of every single alcoholic beverage on the planet, plus some green food coloring ('cause Kermit is green) - which will surely result in several drunk-out-of-their-minds park-goers, but isn't that the best part of a live street party?

DashHaber

Hi-Tech Hollywoodland

c209a6ab69243f087551c7e5fd19a9ab.jpg

The silver screen dreams of yesterday come together with the electronic music of today, as dancers in neon-glowing 1920s fashion cut a rug, electro-swing music fills the air, and projections of silent movies and old cartoons immerse guests in those old visions of Hollywoodland.

Bonus: If all the dancing has you parched for an alcoholic beverage, then W.C.'s Pineapple Juice is sure to leave you grinning like you heard one of W.C. Fields's classic quips, thanks to its mix of tropical flavors with a dash of gin.

DisneyManOne

Ink & Paint Party

img_8857-sm-wm.jpg

Come nighttime at DCA, the magic of Disney Animation spreads out of the building and onto the streets of Hollywood Land in a celebration of all the films to come from Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar. A special food menu features dishes inspired by Disney animation; the Hollywood Backlot Stage features character dance parties that change themes every night (one night, you could be dancing with Mickey and the gang, the next with the Disney princesses, the next with Disney's jungle friends, etc.); and the Hyperion even screens classic Disney films! Plus, Stage 17 plays host to a revolving set of extremely rare animated character meet 'n' greets (we're talkin' characters like Kuzco, Milo and Kida, Basil of Baker Street, Bernard and Bianca...even Taran and Eilonwy from The Black Cauldron!), and just like the dance parties, they change every night!

Bonus: Since this is a party themed around Disney animation, look no further than The Pink Elephant to whet your whistle: a twist on the classic "pink lemonade vodka cocktail" -- the "twist" coming from the addition of champagne -- that hopefully won't lead to any wild hallucinations!

Evilgidgit

Club Styx
1bbfe6158a2ba52953733f934eac2834.jpg
It is time to get down in the Underworld, as Hades, Meg, Pain and Panic turn the Styx into a more "lively" place, where guests can get their ghostly groove on to an unholy DJ's mix of electronic and gospel music, pulsing lights and sound, projections from Hercules, and even hang out at Hades' personal bar, Cairon's Cabinet. On the family side, guests can have M&Gs with the Hercules character, or take a walk through the realm of the dead in a converted Red Creek Challenge Trail, the highlight being a semi-sized Cerberus animatronic.

Bonus: Guests can sample the flavoured drinks of the Underworld, from each of the five rivers of the dead -- Styx (made from Greek grapes), Acheron (bitter-flavoured vodka), Cocytus (rum), Phlegethon (a spicy margarita), and Lethe (strawberry lemonade).

InspectorSpacetime

Halyx_Poster.jpg

Halyx, called “The Star Wars Cantina Band meets KISS,” was lost after one glorious summer in 1981 at Disneyland; but the beacon has been lit, and they're returning from the far reaches of the cosmos to perform a second tour on our planet. Instead of the hard rock music which was deemed an ill fit for Disneyland, the band now performs the psychedelic progressive pop/rock of the 1970s and 80s (think ELO, Pink Floyd) at the new Urtha IV stage built behind Guardians of the Galaxy - Mission Breakout (a musical science-fiction match made in the heavens). Performances on Friday and Saturday nights are celestial dreamscapes come to life, with fog machines and laser shows at full power as fans of all ages join the most dazzling party in our stellar system.

Bonus: A fleet of beverages inspired by the deities of the stars are available in alcoholic and virgin forms, like Eos, a tequila sunrise of galactic hues named after the goddess of the dawn.

spacemt354

Chili's
House Party Protocol
22d9bd1bf9cf54831051b6906e50ead7.jpg

For non-dancers, party zones offer little interest, perhaps one of the reasons why both Electronica and Mad Tea Party were replaced in 2016 with the DCA Food and Wine Festival. As an evolution of both party and food, as well as the Avengers Campus expansion, Stark Mansion will be an 'off-campus' party zone hosted at the home of the genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist himself, Tony Stark, offering the best of both worlds to guests.

This party zone will offer multi-level festivities including a dance zone outdoors with a rock tribute band to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and other Marvel 70s/80s hits, as well as an indoor bar area, a 3rd floor observation deck with fabulous views of Pixar Pier at night, as well as designated 'Iron Kids' nights (two per week) for families only, giving everyone an opportunity to experience the Mansion.

BONUS: The 'We Have a Hulk' - no Tony Stark themed location would be complete without a specialty drink, a lime infused Margarita that will be sure to get you 'smashed'

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Eight
It's a Party in the DCA

iKzDdEs.png

You're an aspiring Imagineer in an elevator with Disney's CEO, Bob Chapek. You overhear him on the phone talking with Imagineers about a problem in the parks.

-The Problem-
Disney's California Adventure has always had some issues keeping the Hollywood Backlot corner of the park interesting to most guests. There's a ton of under-utilized space there! One thing that really helped was the parties they used to host back there! Mad T Party and ElecTRONica were the two most famous. These weren't your average Disney dance parties. These were aimed at people in their 20s with loud music, strobe lights, dancers, drinks, and just an overall exciting atmosphere. More of a night club or concert vibe than a theme park. Now the parties are gone, but the space is still underutilized and not very exciting.

electronica.jpg

mad956423LARGE.jpg

There isn't much time left in this elevator ride, but now is your chance to impress the Big Cheese and propose a solution that will earn you a place in the Imagineering Hall of Fame!

-The Prompt-
Propose a solution!
Propose a new Party Zone for DCA
You can focus on the dancing, focus on the show, blend it all together, whatever angle you want to take on it!
Hollywood Land is already well set up for it with a stage and some flex space buildings, but you can place it anywhere.
Also, if you want something more family focused or different, that is up to you!

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 picture.
The deadline will be at 11:59 PM EST on Tuesday, October 27th

-Tips-

K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly.
This is an elevator pitch, not a full project!
It isn't about more detail, it is about the right details!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

giphy.gif

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

Keep an eye out for the bonus from some big, angry, and GREEN!

enhance

Using a single sentence (and NO pictures), propose a unique food or drink item to go with your dance party.

Whether you do the bonus or not will have absolutely NO effect on the main prompt's winners or the medals. BUT the best bonus will get 1 Bonus Point towards the overall rankings!​

This scene is due tonight! Only two scenes left after this!
But if you're falling behind, don't worry. We've got some surprises still on the way!

@NateD1226
@tcool123
@Pufflefan
@Disneylover152
@Outbound
@pix
@surfdawg
@1HAPPYGHOSTHOST
@ExoWareMasses

Disneylover152

Monster Bash- Party Central!

1603850696613.png

A brand new nighttime dance party will be coming to the Hollywoodland area of DCA in the same style as Mad T Party, bringing a twist on the movie Monster's Inc. to the backlot with performers, projections covering the soundstages, and special lighting bringing the Backlot to life at night.

The main stage features two vocalists and a variety of background dancers while additional stages brings smaller acts throughout the backlot, including acrobats, dancers, DJs and the return of guest favorite laser man from ElecTRONica and the slinky man from Mad T Party.

In addition to the dance party, the "Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor" replaces Philiarmagic in the evenings and Stage 17 becomes an event gift shop as well as Harryhausen, a cocktail club themed after the restaurant from the movie that serves Monsters Inc. inspired small appetizers as well as both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.

Bonus: A drink at Harryhausen is a nonalcoholic beverage called the Monster Mix-Up, which includes orange juice and guava juice blended with ice, green apple sports drink and topped with grenadine.​

NateD1226

Light Up the Night with Luxo

32E0C1B9-CF06-454B-B42C-4593E8FCCEA2.jpeg

Luxo takes center stage in Pixar Pier where guests can ride all the Pixar Pier rides, meet Pixar characters, and listen to a band play live Pixar themed music during this nighttime party.

The main show of the night is Light the Night with Luxo where guests can join a Luxo AA, the live band, and Pixar characters dance to disco-pop inspired Pixar music in the main esplanade of Pixar Pier.

Some things like the seating and food carts will be removed permanently for better flow of people and more party space.

Bonus: Luxo’s Light is a new dessert for Light Up the Night with Luxo that gives you a mini Luxo that holds Dragon’s Breath Ice Cream in the area where the lightbulb would be.​

tcool123

Illuminphonic

Mickeys-Mix-Magic.jpg

Overnight Hollywooodland is transformed into Illuminphonic: a land of technicolor wonder and stereophonic joy achieved through the use of blacklights, lasers, projections, screens, hidden speakers, and other magical effects that you'll have to see to believe! This glowing party nighttime party has plenty of Illuminshphere entertainment to hype up the crowd (think glowing stiltwalkers and fiberoptic covered dancers), and live DJs and musicians playing remixed Disney classics along with other musical accompaniments that make for a great party. An adults only area, Illuminphonic21, is located inside Stage 17 which now plays host to an adults only glow bar filled with a variety of cocktails, energetic music, a dance floor, and even lounges to relax in.

HULK BONUS: The Rainbow Zinger
Served in a hurricane glass at Illuminphonic21, this specialty drink is a layer of grenadine, a layer mango pineapple juice with coconut rum, a layer blue curacao, and a white sugar rim; when under blacklight the colors in this drink explode into brilliant shades that need to be seen to believe.

pix

SugarRush

Sugar rush.png

This newest DCA party takes the best parts of Mad T Party and ElecTRONica and gives it a Wreck-It Ralph twist. The main stage hosts The Sugar Rush Squad; a cover band lead by lead singer Taffyta Muttonfudge with Rancis Fluggerbutter as backup/secondary singer, Candlehead on drums, and Jubileena Bing-Bing and Crumbelina DiCaramello on guitar and base respectively. There is also DJ Minty Zaki in-between sets, a mini-arcade set up in the warehouse, a dance group with the last 4 of the main Sugar Rush Racers, and Meet-N-Greets with Ralph and Vanellope.

Hulk Bonus: Finish Line

At the drink stand "SweetTreats" guests can order a "Finish Line" which is a cotton candy lemonade margarita with a sugar rim and a glowing ice cube that looks like a traditional wrapped hardcandy.

Fitting this into 3 sentences is hard I have so many ideas.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
VNkpDiz.png

@TwilightZone - DCA Nostalgic Nights
I've been seeing a lot more nostalgia for DCA 1.0 lately. Even if DCA 3.0 and 2.0 were both "better" by nearly every measure, they traded that Eisner style Personality in favor of Iger style Polish. Nostalgia has always been a strong focus for Disney and this is an untapped topic for it. And with the 20th anniversary coming up soon the timing is perfect! Steps in Time might not be as beloved as it should be and might be seen as a niche theme even within the already niche theme of DCA 1.0 nostalgia. But as world's leading expert on Steps in Time (A title I will claim until someone else eventually makes a YouTube video about it), I would adore it though! And it would lend itself really well to this type of party/show. The ride overlays are a cool touch too, but I'm not sure how practical the Tower of Terror one is.

@Brer Panther - Muppet Party Nights
You can never go wrong with Muppets! I believe Disneyland was going to do something like this a while back for a year long celebration where the Muppets invaded a bunch of rides. I think its a fun idea for a temporary party like this, though possibly a littttttlle too distracting for those individual rides even if it was just for a couple of months. Something nice and simple that could make it feel like the whole park is in on the fun. Dr. Teeth and Electric Mayhem would be a fantastic choice to host a live concert/dance party! It's a simple idea, but a very strong one.

@DashHaber - Hi-Tech Hollywoodland
Electro-Swing has been gaining a lot of popularity the last few years and it would be a great music style to build a dance party around. This would be a great choice to add to the land with the party rather than distract from it the way Tron or Wonderland kind of did. I don't too much to say about it but this is a really cool idea!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
VNkpDiz.png

@DisneyManOne - Ink & Paint Party
I love adding in some obscure character meets like this! That is a great way to make something feel special for the type of die hard Disney fans that might be tough to win over with any kind of dance party type situation. You have a lot of strong animation themed features here that could make this a really fun event! Animation isn't exactly the most outside the box theme for something in a Disney park, but you do find some new angles for it to help it stand out a bit.

@Evilgidgit -
Club Styx
Hades has such a magnetic personality and Hercules in general is looked at much more kindly in recent years than it was when it came out. The meta, "Hollywood" type attitude the movie (and Hades especially) would lend itself exceptionally well to a show/party like this as well as DCA as a whole. Using the Challenge Trail as the setting for a temporary walkthrough is a great idea! I could see this working almost like a kid friendly Horror Night Maze and would be a really cool thing to add! Though it might feel out of place o the other side of the park from where I'm assuming everything is in Hollywoodland.

@InspectorSpacetime - Halyx
I was really hoping someone would use Halyx! I don't know if it is the best idea, but it is one I was super excited to see if someone would do!

Your point about how well it ties into GotG is excellent and I think a setting like this would work a lot better than a more standard stage in Disneyland. The updates to modernize the band's music are smart and add to the realism. Of course, realism is the one place this does suffer. Outside of fans of Defunctland, Halyx is a pretty virtually unknown IP. A fantastic choice for Disney fan circles, but one I don't see Disney doing in real life. Though if they did it would be an absolute blast!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom