Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Changing gears a little, hereā€™s a good example of a business being innovative and adapting to the new norm. Manhattan has very little open space so finding areas for outdoor dining is a challenge. These guys figured out a spot to use.

Casper Gutman

Changing gears a little, hereā€™s a good example of a business being innovative and adapting to the new norm. Manhattan has very little open space so finding areas for outdoor dining is a challenge. These guys figured out a spot to use.

The adaptation I want to see most relates to cinema. Theatres are going to be one of the last safe things to open, and I need dumb blockbusters. Hollywood has decided they canā€™t release anything (even New Mutants!) to streaming, so I wish the studios would work with every single box store with an empty parking lot (America has a lot of those right now) to create a vast number of drive-ins. Wal-Mart is doing this, but without major studio involvement, theyā€™ll be confined to rereleases. Letā€™s get some new content! Letā€™s jumpstart the MCU!

Honestly, most of America seems to be curled up in a corner right now, rocking back and forth and muttering, ā€œItā€™ll all be over tomorrow... itā€™ll all be over tomorrow...ā€

oceanbreeze77

The adaptation I want to see most relates to cinema. Theatres are going to be one of the last safe things to open, and I need dumb blockbusters. Hollywood has decided they canā€™t release anything (even New Mutants!) to streaming, so I wish the studios would work with every single box store with an empty parking lot (America has a lot of those right now) to create a vast number of drive-ins. Wal-Mart is doing this, but without major studio involvement, theyā€™ll be confined to rereleases. Letā€™s get some new content! Letā€™s jumpstart the MCU!

Honestly, most of America seems to be curled up in a corner right now, rocking back and forth and muttering, ā€œItā€™ll all be over tomorrow... itā€™ll all be over tomorrow...ā€
I need 1984!!!!! šŸ˜©šŸ˜©šŸ˜©

Casper Gutman

You know, their were a few films I was really looking forward to, but in general I thought the 2020 Summer blockbuster season looked relatively weak.

We dodged THAT bullet!

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I saw that Empire Strikes Back was on re-release to drive-in theaters and was number one at the box office for the 4th different time (playing in 400 theaters). Apparently it was #1 When first released then on a re-release several years later and a 3rd time in the late 90s when Lucas did the digital remasters. The drive-thru near me was playing Black Panther and Empire as the double feature. Thatā€™s a solid night out even though they arenā€™t new movies.

The problem near me is the Walmart is always crowded so they donā€™t have room in the lot to do the drive-in thing. The easy answer is have regular movie theaters open as drive-ins. Most have big parking lots and plenty of room for it. Schools and colleges could be used too. Lots of big parking lots that nobody is using right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You know, their were a few films I was really looking forward to, but in general I thought the 2020 Summer blockbuster season looked relatively weak.

We dodged THAT bullet!
Iā€™ll take the weak lineup. Iā€™d watch ā€œDude whereā€™s my carā€ on repeat If it meant going back to normal life ;););). Thatā€™s the worst movie I could think of that I actually saw in the theaters.

Casper Gutman

I saw that Empire Strikes Back was on re-release to drive-in theaters and was number one at the box office for the 4th different time (playing in 400 theaters). Apparently it was #1 When first released then on a re-release several years later and a 3rd time in the late 90s when Lucas did the digital remasters. The drive-thru near me was playing Black Panther and Empire as the double feature. Thatā€™s a solid night out even though they arenā€™t new movies.

The problem near me is the Walmart is always crowded so they donā€™t have room in the lot to do the drive-in thing. The easy answer is have regular movie theaters open as drive-ins. Most have big parking lots and plenty of room for it. Schools and colleges could be used too. Lots of big parking lots that nobody is using right now.
Absolutely. Get a network of drive-ins set up and the first new blockbuster to release will receive massive international coverage. Its a big financial risk, but at some point the studios have to take it.

Its also worth noting that a lot of movies have begun production again outside of America, where the pandemic is more controlled. Hollywood's risking a massive backlog of big-budget films, which presents its own danger.

Plus, major franchises like the MCU and F&F need to keep up pop culture momentum. Their entire model is based on the constant release of new content.

NickMaio

ā€œJackā€™s Back... ing up 6 feet, because heā€™s not THAT crazy!ā€

Actually, theyā€™re not using Jack this year. The icon is going to be Aunt Esther, who wants to tell to you about what she just read on Facebook. Terrifying.

I really think the scariest attraction will be the ā€œsomebody coughs in an airplaneā€ maze.
........what's that hot breath on the back of my neck....ride.

Casper Gutman

Iā€™ll take the weak lineup. Iā€™d watch ā€œDude whereā€™s my carā€ on repeat If it meant going back to normal life ;););). Thatā€™s the worst movie I could think of that I actually saw in the theaters.
I've seen Battlefield: Earth and all the Twilight movies in theatres, but to be fair, I knew what I was getting into with those. Perhaps the worst movie I can remember seeing with even a shred of sincerity is Batman V. Superman: A Major Supreme Court Decision. Or Godzilla 1998.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Just another story on the new, tighter mask rules. One thing I hadnā€™t heard before is the no mask, no photo rule where they basically donā€™t give you your ride photo if you take the mask off. Seems like a good plan. I would say Disney seems to be going all in on safety. Itā€™s a good sign. Lots of people doubted how seriously they would take it.

oceanbreeze77

Lots of people doubted how seriously they would take it.
Part of the disney entitlement syndrome.

Casper Gutman

Just another story on the new, tighter mask rules. One thing I hadnā€™t heard before is the no mask, no photo rule where they basically donā€™t give you your ride photo if you take the mask off. Seems like a good plan. I would say Disney seems to be going all in on safety. Itā€™s a good sign. Lots of people doubted how seriously they would take it.
I'm not sure the ride photo issue gives me any faith. That seems to be motivated by WDW realizing how bad it would look if a bunch of maskless ride photos start showing up on social media.

I'll be honest, until we get the shaky videos of guests being kicked out, I still doubt their sincerity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Part of the disney entitlement syndrome.
I give Disney a lot of credit so far. They have a history of catering to the guest at all costs so this is a positive development. I think they realize that the best thing for business in the parks long term is for the masses to feel safe. That means an overwhelming show of support of the rules and active enforcement. Good for them.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure the ride photo issue gives me any faith. That seems to be motivated by WDW realizing how bad it would look if a bunch of maskless ride photos start showing up on social media.
The ride photo would be the motivation to take the mask off. People want a photo of them screaming on the big drop on Splash Mountain. The mask hides that. I think itā€™s a good indication of how seriously they are taking it. Iā€™m sure guests are not happy when their photo doesnā€™t come up. They are creating unhappy guests in order to enforce the rules. The exact thing lots of people thought they wouldnā€™t do.
I'll be honest, until we get the shaky videos of guests being kicked out, I still doubt their sincerity.
If guests comply with the rules there wonā€™t be a video of them being kicked out. Iā€™ve never seen a video of someone being kicked out for climbing over a fence and running under a coaster track, but Iā€™m very confident that would result in someone being kicked out.

TrainsOfDisney

Iā€™ve never seen a video of someone being kicked out for climbing over a fence and running under a coaster track, but Iā€™m very confident that would result in someone being kicked out.

I saw guests climbing up the rocks next to Seven Dwarves mine train and a manager just asked them to get down. That wasnā€™t quite as extreme... but pretty close. (They were extremely close to the live coaster track.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw guests climbing up the rocks next to Seven Dwarves mine train and a manager just asked them to get down. That wasnā€™t quite as extreme... but pretty close. (They were extremely close to the live coaster track.)
Right, so the rules were enforced but thereā€™s no viral video of security dragging a kicking and screaming guest out of the park. Thatā€™s my point.

If someone takes the mask off, a CM just asks them to put it back on, reminds them of the ā€œeating ruleā€œ which was just clarified to be crystal clear or directs the person to the ā€œrelaxation stationsā€ where they can remove the mask safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom