Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Matt_Black

A Lin Manuel Miranda/Weird Al collaboration produced by Disney is not the same thing as an independent collaboration between those two.

Disney will still have final say on script, budget, tone etc. That would have an impact on how good or bad this idea turns out.

Disney had final say on Captain EO (Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas, and Michael Jackson) and Finding Nemo: The Musical (Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez) and those turned out pretty well.

Sir_Cliff

I can't imagine they would turn Hall of Presidents into something like Tiki Room Under New Management. At any rate, I don't know why this rumour is so alarming. They're going to have to do a new version of it eventually, either early next year or in four years time.

I sure hope Lin stars in the next muppet movie! That would be perfect!
If they haven't settled on the Princess and the Frog re-theme for Splash Mountain, Lin Manuel Miranda's Muppet Mountain would be amazing! Good acronym, too: LMMMM

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.
I had not heard about Weird Al, but can verify talks with Miranda and a style reminiscent of Hamilton (which, itself, is witty). The Muppets have shown us we can laugh and learn about US history all at once.

Touchdown

I would much rather have some more speeches from historical Presidents, how about Washington’s Final Address, Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address or 2nd inaugural address, FDRs 1st inaugural address, or JFK’s inaugural address. You could easily stitch a narrative together about this country coming together in times of crisis and division to move forward together; something that is sorely needed now.

Surferboy567

I’m neutral on HoP I’m not going to come in here and say this is the best attraction. I have seen it every once and a while, I don’t hate it, don’t love it. I admire seeing the tradition of a new president added but after seeing Hamilton I can see this working. I’m fine with HoP as it is but I don’t really go in their too often unless their is an update. I do admire the history behind it though.

carolina_yankee

I really don't have a passionate feeling about HoP one way or another. I really didn't like the pre-Morgan Freeman version. I much preferred American Adventure for essentially the same message. The tableaux of presidents has always been impressive and something I would miss if it disappeared. I went years between visit to the HoP and haven't been in its current iteration, mostly for planning conflicts rather than partisan reasons. Due the structure of our election system, I may never see it in its current iteration since I won't be back until 2021 or I may have a chance. I can distinguish my opinions of specific people from the merits of the attraction itself.

That said, I absolutely wouldn't care if stayed the same. I would see it maybe once every president's term. If it were made over, I would definitely see it, and would base future visits on how I liked the redo. Highly talented people can make well received things I have zero interest in (Captain EO), so Miranda and Yankovic are certainly not a slam-dunk. But it's interesting and I would certainly give it a chance.

My prediction is that whatever they do would likely include the tableaux and maybe the roll call. Otherwise, no real reason for it to be a "Hall of Presidents" rather than an "infotainment on the American presidency." If that's there, I think it would be well received over all.

jt04

As long as its original, and makes it the whole experience entertaining, I’m all for it

Agreed if done well. Hoping they have leaned from Epcot that using celebrities in the show creates a very short shelf life. Whereas The Muppets or Disney Fav 5 or 6 are much more timeless. So again, I think it is possible they are producing and writing only to make the show more relatable to all guests.

Mickey Pride

What about the animated section?
I do think you have to take into consideration the time frame the film was being filmed. I still do think the animation in the original May Poppins was fantastic for when it was made, but honestly to have to compare it to Mary Poppins Returns is like comparing an apple to and orange.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom