Splash Mountain re-theme announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Carioca

They are not different, they are the same. Stop being racist! When they move to the US they become part of the African American community. What's next, are you going to tell me that African Americans from Atlanta are different or better than the ones from NYC? Is Cardi B not African American? Or Obama? Dominicans and Haitians are equals.

Holy crap, I can't even anymore tell if you're joking. You're the one being ignorant and racist by saying that everyone from the DR, Haiti, Puerto Rico and Cuba is "the same". Read a book, or hey, travel. Haitians and Dominicans are not the same, whether they're in the DR, Haiti, or the US. The majority of Dominicans are not black, they are hispanic. I don't know how to say it any more clearly. Wait, there's this handy website called Wikipedia that can help with this. The ethnic breakdown of the DR is posted below. The fact that you are calling people racist is just astounding.

Ethnic groups
(2014)

WDW Pro

Of the people in favor of removing a beloved attraction because a cartoon rabbit might be considered racist by some, how many do you think spend any time mentoring inner city youth?

2020 is the year where burning down a minority owned store, shouting slogans, or belittling those who will miss a classic attraction is more virtuous than volunteering your time to help those you purportedly care about.

disneygeek90

That’s the only reason why it ticks me off that there changing the ride. If it were an average day and they just wanted something new well yeah I prefer what it is but I’m light of a situation that most people of all color don’t even sitcoms to it’s not fair. A majority of people of all races don’t give a darn but there’s an individual group of people that have to make these issues. Many of us go on in life never getting offended and getting along a monks each other. Me and my co workers all great friends come in all colors and this has nothing between us. So yes this is the stupidest reason to change the ride. Why we cave to such a violent divisive group of people is beyond me.
Just because you don't see or experience racism and discrimination in your own day to day life does not mean that it doesn't exist. I think the last several weeks has demonstrated that ad nauseam.

Tony Perkis

Of the people in favor of removing a beloved attraction because a cartoon rabbit might be considered racist by some

tfspwnklacyghjvrtbo1.jpg

UNCgolf

And what about Frontierland? The theme doesn’t match the land at all. Sure, you can retheme Pecos Bill into a Princess and the Frog restaurant to go along with it but that still doesn’t fix the real issue... This isn’t the proper spot for these characters!

This has been answered before -- it doesn't fit any more or less than Splash Mountain did originally. There was nothing frontier about it either.

J_Carioca

"We had so many defending the problematic source material that we have decided it's worth keeping." Uh... yeah, I don't think that's going to go over well.

Most people here are not defending the source material. They are defending the ride, and in fact pointing out that the ride is very far removed from the source material.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The woke police have no rationale, they use bullying as a tactic to make change. You’re someone that is against splash mountain getting removed? You’re a racist. People literally writing that online and shaming people.
Twitter isn't having it today. You express your sentiment that you're disappointed by this change and they'll have your head on a silver platter for not being fully in favor of the change.

Well that's not good.

Tell me, has Twitter, in order to silence you, resorted to intergenerational oppression, discrimination, disenfranchisement, terrorism, beatings, and societal-sanctioned murder by both vigilantes and police yet against you, your ancestors, and your children, yet?

disneygeek90

Most people here are not defending the source material. They are defending the ride, and in fact pointing out that the ride is very far removed from the source material.
Correct, but if WDW pulled back after this announcement it wouldn't be received well. It would be perceived as siding with original source material, and all that goes with it, instead of showcasing a new attraction based on the first black princess. Whether it would be or not is besides the point. I don't think Disney would want to deal with that aftermath.

Da Bird is Da Word

That's not how it works sweetie. Welcome to a forum. Any and everyone is welcome to comment on anything they'd like. You can direct message someone if you would like to have a one-on-one conversation. Didn't think I needed to explain how the internet works.
It’s intuitively understood that everyone sees everyone else’s posts and that everyone is free to offer commentary on any post that peaks their interest, regardless of whether that post was directed to a specific person or not. Having said that, the quoting system is also intuitively understood, and you’re being purposely obtuse about it. Replying to specific people’s questions is a thing that this forum software supports. You’re being totally disingenuous right now.

champdisney

This has been answered before -- it doesn't fit any more or less than Splash Mountain did originally. There was nothing frontier about it either.
Okay, sure. I’ll be honest, I didn’t read every single post. I don’t have the time.

To reply to your claim. Yes, Splash Mountain didn’t necessarily fit the themes to Frontierland but the Imagineers made sure the design of the attraction did. The concept art for this retheme doesn’t look “frontier” at all.

I also wonder why, out of all the things I mentioned you want to nitpick on that one comment and pass it on as if I was slow for not catching up on this topic. Which the comments are coming in fast and you’ll be a fool not to know this.

Tony Perkis

Correct, but if WDW pulled back after this announcement it wouldn't be received well. It would be perceived as siding with original source material, and all that goes with it, instead of showcasing a new attraction based on the first black princess. Whether it would be or not is besides the point. I don't think Disney would want to deal with that aftermath.
Yep. The moment Disney made this announcement, there was no turning back. The PR backlash would be immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom