Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calmdownnow

Just wondering, from over the pond, have there been any virus related illnesses connected with Universal, Seaworld, Bush Gardens, Discovery Cove, Legoland or any other popular tourist destinations? The idea that there are none from WDW or the competition is, to my mind, unbelievable. Or needs investigating immediately to see what could be causing this lack of spread as a source of information for the world. Any thoughts?
As the infections progressed, contact tracing seems to have been given up -- or at least disappeared from mention in public statements -- in the UK. I am sure virus detectives are testing samples to try to track progressions/origins/mutations etc, but checking on infection status of co-workers, casual contacts, and origins of infection seems to have gone by the board weeks ago. This is partly due to the absence of really widespread testing. It is a major point of failure in terms of the prospects for a reduction of the lock-down measures because the extent of community spread can only be measured by hospital admissions and people are not getting admitted unless they are really sick.

John park hopper

Any engineers and electronics people out there---- question the longer all the attractions stay idle is it harder to get them up and running again?

DisneyCane

I keep seeing people yelling doomsday for the movie theater industry because AMC and Regal could go bankrupt while their theaters are still shuttered.

News flash, people: the industry is bigger than AMC and Regal. It can survive without them. AMC and Regal were mismanaged garbage dumps even before the crisis. Much of their issues are entirely of their own making. If they had made smarter investment decisions (and paid attention to their debt) they wouldn't be in this mess.

I'm sure both will file chapter 11 to renegotiate leases and discharge other debt. I guess the Irony is that Wanda Group (Chinese conglomerate) is the largest shareholder in AMC.

While the industry is bigger than AMC+Regal, all of the mergers and acquisitions give them a huge percentage of US locations and screens. If they just closed up operations (without locations being taken over by other operators), the industry would not survive.

The concept of a movie would forever be changed without a movie theatre industry. Big budget tent pole movies can not be profitable if they are released as streaming/PPV only. Lower budget productions can do it but there would be no more Marvel/Star Wars type budget films. The acceptable price point for PPV movies is too low. Not enough people would be willing to pay a high enough premium just to watch the "first run" when they can watch for much less in the same living room on the same TV screen a few weeks later.

Calmdownnow

Leaving the school year in limbo was the reason there wasn’t a firm plan. How much do you dedicate to distance learning if it ends in a few weeks? Now they know it goes for the remainder of the school year. There needs to be a firm plan. If they don’t have one then that’s on the district or schools that fail to make one. Distance learning sucks, but at least we aren’t waiting around for the other shoe to drop.
Of course, if there are concerns that kids' learning has fallen behind, there is nothing to stop the distance learning school year continuing through the summer months if lock down measures remain in place. There is nothing, other than tradition, that says school stops on a particular date.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney will follow suit, just announce at a later date. I would be shocked if either of them opened June 1st.
I will be shocked if they don’t open June 1. We’ll just have to wait and see what transpired over the next seven weeks or so.
It’s too early to say. Lots can change in 7 weeks, positive and negative. Think about where we were 7 weeks ago.

DisneyDebRob

I will be shocked if they don’t open June 1. We’ll just have to wait and see what transpired over the next seven weeks or so.
I’ve heard there’s no way they won’t open by April 1st. Followed closely after it didn’t by.. mid April looks like the time. Followed closely by May 1st for sure. I think we all know the month of May is not happening now with universal staying closed. The posts for June 1st will start now. Don’t me wrong, wish any of these were correct but I am glad they are hopefully being very safe about this. Amusement parks are different animals then anyplace else. We will see but like I said hundreds of posts ago, July or August is not out of the question. Hope I’m wrong.

John park hopper

Of course, if there are concerns that kids' learning has fallen behind, there is nothing to stop the distance learning school year continuing through the summer months if lock down measures remain in place. There is nothing, other than tradition, that says school stops on a particular date.
Not to many kids need to be home in the summer working the farms any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom