Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

Well then months on end is right by your definition. Jan 25th is when Shanghai closed with Hong Kong closing the next day. And they are not as close to reopening as some may think.
Shanghai has a limited opening of shopping and the hotels. Months on end is many months, more than two. Things will open up again overseas soon. Japan LEGOLAND is open. Beijing universal never closed I heard.

lazyboy97o

Shanghai has a limited opening of shopping and the hotels. Months on end is many months, more than two. Things will open up again overseas soon. Japan LEGOLAND is open. Beijing universal never closed I heard.
Universal Studios Beijing is a construction site. Universal has kept all of their construction projects around the world open.

hopemax

I have to respectfully disagree with you. And I say that because my cardiologist even mentioned it to me that I may have had the virus. I trust his opinion over others surmising. Iā€™m also taking in to account the ER doctors comments. I didnā€™t just have a cold. I was airlifted to a larger hospital because of my condition. I had a fever for a week, horrible cough, pneumonia, nasusea, oxygen level of 82 and was severely dehydrated and tested negative for the regular flu. I am taking every precaution I can and our county is on lock down. I donā€™t naively go out thinking Iā€™m immune to this because I donā€™t know for sure. But common sense tells me itā€™s been in Florida longer than some think. John Hopkins has estimated that itā€™s possible 50,000 to 500,000 people have had this before it became widely known. Hard to believe that no one from China visited Disney in January when it was running rampant there already. As you say, time will tell.

I'm not saying YOU did not have this. There are going to be people in the US who had the unfortunate luck to cross paths with people who were infected early in the spread. Maybe, you will be able to take a serology test, and can be identified as one of the people that can be used retroactively to trace the spread.

Florida's cases just got updated. They jumped from 29 deaths to 34 this morning to 46 this evening. I am sticking with my position that it is going to get worse in Florida.

rowrbazzle

GM absolutely did right by the bailout. I was against it at the time, but that company made so many positive strides afterwards. It ended up being worth it.

I don't agree. I think GM has done a lot wrong since then. I'm not a fan of the company. That's not the fault of its employees though. I'll probably never buy another GM vehicle, but I don't want their employees to be unemployed either.

Lilofan

Does your friend understand how Unemployment works.

The waiting period is waived and she will get between $50 to $450 per week based on her wages, and then an extra $600 a week from the Feds. If she gets another job, she will lose those benefits.
This is how it works in California. If you are a high earner and are laid off, stay home collect $1K a week. The $600 per week from the $2 trillion stimulus
runs up to 4 months. Gotta love America, unemployment on steriods.

Jwink

I havenā€™t read past page 579 yet but I wanted to set the record straight about Florida testingā€¦ You are not being tested in Florida unless you meet the criteria of being older than 65 years old and having respiratory symptoms. So if the diagrams are true and for every one person infected 2 1/2 others are infected and then 2 1/2 after that etc. I would say thereā€™s tens of thousands that have had it or have it and donā€™t know and will never be counted in the confirmed cases. Which would drive the death rate down but we wonā€™t ever know.

Polynesia

I'm not saying YOU did not have this. There are going to be people in the US who had the unfortunate luck to cross paths with people who were infected early in the spread. Maybe, you will be able to take a serology test, and can be identified as one of the people that can be used retroactively to trace the spread.

Florida's cases just got updated. They jumped from 29 deaths to 34 this morning to 46 this evening. I am sticking with my position that it is going to get worse in Florida.
I agree it will get worse. But steps are being taken to help slow this down. Iā€™m also optimistic that this will peak in two to three weeks here.
I would welcome the opportunity to be tested to know for sure. Since Iā€™m retired I didnā€™t have much interaction with others except my son who was also very sick for about a week. He stayed home but others he worked with were very ill. When you see young people going to the ER for their symptoms to be told itā€™s not the flu I have to wonder.

Jwink

Also unemployment is much more normal in other places. Florida is the third lowest state topping out at only 275 a week. Many other places a lot of people could see a bump in there pay for sure but not here in Florida or rather not for my husband. He works two jobs and we calculated it today and we will be losing out on $700 a month if he collects unemployment

Polynesia

I havenā€™t read past page 579 yet but I wanted to set the record straight about Florida testingā€¦ You are not being tested in Florida unless you meet the criteria of being older than 65 years old and having respiratory symptoms. So if the diagrams are true and for every one person infected 2 1/2 others are infected and then 2 1/2 after that etc. I would say thereā€™s tens of thousands that have had it or have it and donā€™t know and will never be counted in the confirmed cases. Which would drive the death rate down but we wonā€™t ever know.
Thank you for your post. That is so true. One article said the rate could be close to the flu rate. Over 60,000 Americans died from the flu last season. This virus is bad but sometimes we need to remember so is the seasonal flu

DCBaker

Premium Member
Florida numbers -

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 7.47.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 7.47.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 7.48.13 PM.png

The data from the "Review case, monitoring and PUI information" file seems to be lagging behind by a day now, so most of that data is not in sync with the above graphs.

hopemax

Thank you for your post. That is so true. One article said the rate could be close to the flu rate. Over 60,000 Americans died from the flu last season. This virus is bad but sometimes we need to remember so is the seasonal flu
Thereā€™s a big difference between ā€œdoing nothingā€ and 60K deaths and doing all of *This* and still getting 60K deaths or the 81K the one model shows. They arenā€™t an even comparison.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Today, I remembered someone wise once told me:

"If you can still ask yourself if you're going crazy, you're fine." šŸ˜„

Thank you for the reactions and replies to last night's post about feeling safe again at WDW. There's just so much going on everywhere right now. It can be overwhelming at times.

I'm finding so much information, opinions and even some needed comic relief here. @wdwmagic and forum members, you guys are the best!

durangojim

So for those of us in health care please realize that we might be a little more sensitive, cranky, sad, etc. over the next couple of weeks. One of my patients for over 10 years has been diagnosed with SARS-covid2. Heā€™s over 80 and his daughter called me for advice this morning. He has shortness of breath, fever, confusion, myalgias. He will not survive. I instructed the family to stay at the hospital even though Iā€™m pretty sure he will pass away there. If you believe in a higher power say a prayer for the patients and their care givers. If you donā€™t believe in a higher power please send out any positive energy you have to all of us. I donā€™t have words to express what this feels like, especially since my wife who seemed to be getting better yesterday is now showing more severe symptoms. This seems stupid to post on a message board where I donā€™t really know any of you but itā€™s somewhat cathartic to bare my soul where I donā€™t need to be strong.

Last edited:

thecouch

The normal flu's most have been in contact with so majority of people will have built some immunity to it. Sometimes there is slight mutation so some season will be worse. Covid-19 is new to humans. No one has any immunity to it. That's why it's dangerous. If you have any health problems this will make it worse. Normally there is a chance you have some immunity or you have had a shot with standard flu's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom