What's Still On and What's Now Off

TrojanUSC

I’m not bragging... but I predicted Epcot remaining closed a long time ago. Once they sent the CP home and laid off the world showcase entertainment it seemed pretty much done.

The parks will not be the same for a while. The more that is open the more cast they will have to pay. Epcot is the most cast heavy park I’m pretty sure.

Having Epcot closed reduces transportation in all departments (skyline, monorail, busses and boats).

IF they get back to “normal” by fall they could try to do F&W but even that seems unlikely. At this point I’m guessing that if things settle down and moderate crowds return they could reopen for holidays around the world.

They sent the CPs home but they kept the Cultural Representatives who are here on year contracts and who primarily staff World Showcase.

techgeek

I agree. But as @Castastone pointed out, the company can absolutely weather this storm. They have the resources to do so. Talk about bankruptcy is sensationalist.

I absolutely respect WDW Pro, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical of the original post.

Sensationalist, perhaps. Certainly assets would be sold first to avert that, and the company pared down to whatever the whims of the board are to define as core products.

It’s impossible to say with any degree of certainty what companies will ‘weather the storm’ and which ones won’t, because we don’t know the scope of the storm yet.

celluloid

I would be shocked if EPCOT actually ends up being closed. Stranger things have happened If they are waiting this long they will open it. That would be a massive amount of cast to lay off because not all are going to be able to be placed elsewhere.
Festivals down the road are going to be things locals go to. Believe me, the resorts would take a huge hit of EPCOT closed. Swan and Dolphin's company would be so angry and lose so much business which is not even owned by Disney. Not to mention the other area resorts like Yacht and Beach Club, Boardwalk, Rivera would take a hit.
You know when one of the four parks are closed it would be more than just the lowered admission. The fourth park is always the cheapest day, the money is made for those staying at resorts and eating. They are going to need that kind of income and those festivals more than ever. You are going to see more classic characters and cheaper additions to EPCOT to get people in there than ever if they can figure it out. Things will be different, but they are going to try.

ToTBellHop

It was in the 5th post of the thread so you might have missed it.

"The situation is serious enough that there is real talk about abandoning Guardians and letting it just sit for potentially years. Right now it's still on... but if there's a scenario where Disney can't open through the summer... the whole company could at that point be faced with bankruptcy. "
That’s hardly an insider reveal. Anyone without knowledge of the inner workings of the company could say “if this lasts long enough, they may go bankrupt.”

Hardly profound. I try to stay back on earth where they expect to open in some form for summer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It just seems very unlikely that such long term projects such as SSE, SW Hotel, New DVC, Hub rehab, Play pavilion would be summarily "abandoned" so quickly given their current state of progress. If the OP simply said delayed it would lend a lot more credibility. I know Disney execs panic at the first sign of trouble, but the doom and gloom of this "insider information" seems to out there even for Disney.

Why? Disney knows they can simply put projects like the Play Pavilion, SW Hotel, SSE, new DVCs on hold and the sun will still come up tomorrow. Operating stuff you know you don't need to or will not perform as intended is not their preference.

SW Hotel - just delay until they think the market is ready again to stuff it full
Play Pavilion - just delay, EPCOT still did fine without it before...
SSE - It works now doesn't it? Delay...

etc.. that's the mindset.

ToTBellHop

Is he not an insider? Why would he come out of nowhere to post all this stuff?
Heh. I don’t have the highest opinion of the guy but that’s my personal bias. This is sensationalism from a guy who sensationalizes Covid-19. As someone who has actually had Covid-19, I believe it is more widespread than reported and will resolve itself faster than the worst-case scenario and kill fewer people than the worst-case scenario. On the other hand, as a resident of the New York Metropolitan Area, it hurts my heart to think of how things are going to look around here over the next 8 weeks. We are in for heartbreaking news in April.

UNCgolf

I read it as though he was suggesting that Guardians is canceled after 1 week closed...which is ridiculous. Bankruptcy is silly. Trump won’t allow that. Not being political. Just a fact.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Disney could file for bankruptcy to do some restructuring. That's different than saying they would be bankrupt and go out of business, of course.

skiir97

Heh. I don’t have the highest opinion of the guy but that’s my personal bias. This is sensationalism from a guy who sensationalizes Covid-19. As someone who has actually had Covid-19, I believe it is more widespread than reported and will resolve itself faster than the worst-case scenario and kill fewer people than the worst-case scenario. On the other hand, as a resident of the New York Metropolitan Area, it hurts my heart to think of how things are going to look around here over the next 8 weeks. We are in for heartbreaking news in April.

I know this is super off topic but what was it like having the virus? And how long did it take for the symptoms to disappear?

ToTBellHop

I know this is super off topic but what was it like having the virus? And how long did it take for the symptoms to disappear?
Unpleasant but not awful. Look what the shortness of breath did to my resting heart rate over 10 days.
7A077646-0420-4E09-9DFF-56E3E2E0D741.png

Other symptoms though no test since I’m not famous:

-Fever was around 100 (now gone)
-Sore throat for 6 days
-Tons of thick mucus in my throat (thus sore throat) but no nasal congestion
-sporadic cough (not severe)
-shortness of breath, but I’m reasonably healthy, so not dangerous. I can usually work out for an hour and a half. Recently, if I walked 15 min, I was gasping like I had run 5 miles
-bad headache
-lightheadedness and dizziness
-muscle and body aches
-serious fatigue
-chills
-clammy
-reduced appetite and sense of taste

ToTBellHop

Glad to hear you Are better now.

did you know where you posssibly could have caught it?
I work in Fairfield county, CT, where it’s rather widespread. Two options: at work, I was in a meeting two weeks ago before we went to teleworking through at least 6/1. Someone says, “my students were exposed to Covid-19 while working in the hospital.” I thought, “and you’re here, putting us in danger?!” Option 2 is the gym, where I also went two weeks ago before determining it wasn’t safe.

4 days later, the symptoms started. I still have the slightest post-nasal drip. It sticks around. Now I understand why there is such a lag in the statistics showing recoveries.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ok, let’s unpack the deets from the guy who is certain Covid-19 is a biological weapon from China.

1) yes, the parks will reopen like that. I said so a week ago
2) there are no serious discussions of “abandoning” GotG. Give me a break. Delay a quarter? Sure
3) Epcot will get “finished”, but projects on the fringes could get delayed a bit, like Play. The spine must be finished and will be
4) no indoor shows, dining cuts, remove buffets, add BGs to more rides, cut face characters—all true, like I said a week ago
5) not opening all four parks would be news to me
6) rooms will be pulled at resorts to help in distancing and “clean what we are using”
7) thermal scanners under consideration but serious concerns—this ain’t China. In the USA, they struggle to get people to stop bringing guns in!
8) wiping vehicles isn’t as bad as you’d think for capacity. They better start hoarding Clorox wipes now...
Gee, I wonder what we used before Clorox wipes?

techgeek

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Disney could file for bankruptcy to do some restructuring. That's different than saying they would be bankrupt and go out of business, of course.

In addition, I don't think anyone here would seriously believe WDW be left in the field to rot, even if TWDC ceased to resemble the one we currently know. Operated by someone else under license, or kept along with animation as a company paired down to it's original core... the Vacation Kingdom must have some future, even if it's one that might turn out in just a few short months / years to be one of a drastically different experience then what we all have grown with.

Never forget also that Central Florida is literally covered with the remains of former tourist attractions that failed to adapt to sea-changes in culture and business. Many of them because of the rise of WDW itself, which was not so nearly as dramatic or unforeseeable an event as what we see unfolding daily before us. In their height it would have been absolutely inconceivable to anyone that Cypress Gardens, Marineland, Silver Springs, etc would cease to exist. While they were not as universal to the social fabric as Disney, they were a part of the fabric of their era and didn't change when that era did.

If we are also going to sit here and question seriously the survival of Disney, then what does this also mean for some of the other major players? I say with all seriousness that I hope someone's got an orca rescue plan in their back pocket, because if Disney is going to have to pull out all the stops to hold this together then SEAS doesn't have a prayer. I know less about the significance of UO to Comcast, but if the Universal parks became a serious issue with their bottom line I would suspect anything is possible up I4 as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom