Will Coronavirus change your Disney plans?

PiratesMansion

It will not affect my ability or plans to go sooner or later, but it could reschedule them, depending on how long the closure lasts.

There is a part of me that wants to reschedule in the event that Mansion isn't able to be open during my planned dates (very start of July), but that would depend on a whole lot of other factors too.

Mac Tonight

My June honeymoon to WDW is now up for debate...
For that matter... so is the wedding itself :/

giphy.gif

Figments Friend

I would like to come back to California in the Autumn, and i am hoping that airfares and hotel pricing will be heavily discounted due to the lack of business.
I have doubts as unlike Florida, there are a lot of other reasons to fly to California then to just to do the 'touristy' stuff.
So we shall see....

Watching from a distance, and if opportunity strikes i may well jump on it.

-

cmwade77

My June honeymoon to WDW is now up for debate...
For that matter... so is the wedding itself :/

giphy.gif
Sorry, this is probably none of my business, but I am going to put my two cents worth on this one. While I understand the honeymoon being up for debate, might I suggest that if you truly love each other and I am assuming you do, that you continue on with the wedding. Yes, it will probably need to be modified, maybe even to the point of having most of the guests only being there virtually. My thought is we should let this do as little as possible to disrupt our normal lives and I have seen too many times that people put off things like getting married because of some circumstance that is out of their control, then they continue to push it off repeatedly and regret having done so years later.

Ultimately, you have to do what is right for you, but something to at least consider.

cmwade77

Yes, it is indeed changing what we are doing, we were going to go to WDW in mid May; however, being realistic, while the chances are very high that the parks will be reopen by then, the parks will almost definitely be heavily modified and a massively reduced capacity. We live about 15 minutes away from Disneyland, so to spend the money and time to fly out to WDW (even with cheap airfare and using DVC points) doesn't make sense if there will be lower capacity, less entertainment, etc.

So for us, we canceled our WDW trip and are planning to do a cross country road trip later on in the summer. If we didn't live near a Disney park, we would still probably have kept our reservation, but we do, so we have the option to keep it.

As for renewing our passes to Disneyland, we already were unlikely to renew, but I think that it will now depend upon the prices at the time we go to renew, if they remain where they are or go higher, probably not, if they go lower, then we shall see.

But I am also fortunate enough to have a job that is considered an essential service, so the economic impacts are lower for us than many other people and I do understand that affect my thoughts on this as well.

Mac Tonight

Sorry, this is probably none of my business, but I am going to put my two cents worth on this one. While I understand the honeymoon being up for debate, might I suggest that if you truly love each other and I am assuming you do, that you continue on with the wedding. Yes, it will probably need to be modified, maybe even to the point of having most of the guests only being there virtually. My thought is we should let this do as little as possible to disrupt our normal lives and I have seen too many times that people put off things like getting married because of some circumstance that is out of their control, then they continue to push it off repeatedly and regret having done so years later.

Ultimately, you have to do what is right for you, but something to at least consider.
lol.

Let me clarify that... we are still getting married. The actual marriage itself was never up for debate.
But the planned for ceremony and reception might require some dramatic alterations.

fctiger

Yes!

I had plans to go both to Tokyo Disney resort and WDW this year, both resorts I haven't been to in nearly a decade. The plans for Tokyo was already cancelled a month ago since I had planned to go in April and that park is still shut down. The WDW trip isn't until September so that is still on track for now, but yeah it won't just depend if the resort is open by then but where things are at job wise and financially as well.

I am a local for DLR and lives less than 30 minutes away with an AP so I can return to this park whenever it opens again pretty much barring some big financial issue.

Last edited:

cmwade77

I got married last year at the DL hotel and if key members of my family wouldnt have been able to make it I wouldve postponed the event.

It's an important event and you want to share it with the right people.
You see, I have a bit different view on marriage perhaps, to me it is about the couple making covenant with God, so really the only people that have to be there are the person officiating, the witnesses (most, if not all states require this) and the couple. The bottom line is anything beyond that is nice, but not necessary. And if you really want the big wedding, have a ceremony later on down the road. But I also say you shouldn't go into debt for a wedding and should try to do it as affordable as possible, so that you have enough money to live off of after you are married.

For us, our entire wedding with a 2 week honeymoon at Disney World was around $2,500, thanks in large part to various people offering us great deals, such as our wedding cake for $50 thanks to a customer at my wife's work at the time, my wife finding her wedding dress for around $400 and the ironic part was she tried many more expensive dresses that she hated, this one was almost identical to one she had drawn as a kid and was literally the last dress in the shop,so on and so forth. Add in that at the time there was a free dining offer and this was back when tips were included and it was even easier to get discounted gift cards.

But again, my view on it all.

cmwade77

lol.

Let me clarify that... we are still getting married. The actual marriage itself was never up for debate.
But the planned for ceremony and reception might require some dramatic alterations.
Fair enough, I can certainly see there being a potential for needing dramatic alterations all things considered.

cmwade77

Yes!

I had plans to go both to Tokyo Disney resort and WDW this year, both resorts I haven't been to in nearly a decade. The plans for Tokyo was already cancelled a month ago since I had planned to go in April and that park is still shut down. The WDW trip isn't until September so that is still on track for now, but yeah it won't just depend if the resort is open by then but where things are at job wise and financially as well.

I am a local for DLR and lives less than 30 minutes away so I can return to this park whenever it opens again pretty much barring some big financial issue.
Yeah, and for WDW, I would suggest not just considering where you are financially, but what state the parks are in at that time. Yes, I would expect them to be reopen, but we don't know where everything will stand by then.

fctiger

Yeah, and for WDW, I would suggest not just considering where you are financially, but what state the parks are in at that time. Yes, I would expect them to be reopen, but we don't know where everything will stand by then.

Great point!

The reason why I decided this year was because I wanted to see the new dark rides like Ratatouille and MMRR among all the other new attractions that's opened up in the last decade but if a lot of it will be down will probably just postpone for another year or so.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Right now, we have plans for end of May. Keeping those. If the park reopens, we go. If not, we stay home. I've booked hotels (ones that I can cancel) for June and September in case we have to push back.

Curious Constance

My June trip is all up in the air at this point. Not only if the park reopens in time, but no idea what will happen with school schedules. The grade/middle/high schools in OR aren’t going to online schools because too many kids don’t have access, soooo do they not get a summer? Just test them out of the grade? No friggin idea.

PiratesMansion

Great point!

The reason why I decided this year was because I wanted to see the new dark rides like Ratatouille and MMRR among all the other new attractions that's opened up in the last decade but if a lot of it will be down will probably just postpone for another year or so.

So you say you were planning WDW & Tokyo...

Have you considered doing Tokyo & the Chinese parks in one trip instead of Tokyo and WDW on separate trips? They're all about four hours apart from each other by air, if you're already going all the way to Tokyo (also, because I combined parks/cities my airfare went DOWN more than $500). Admission would be cheaper across the board, and you'd get 100% new park experiences. Mystic Manor and Shanghai Pirates are 100% worth the hype and won't be coming here any time soon, and both parks are great experiences. Since there are four parks (albeit several hours apart by plane) with fantastic cities next to them, you can almost pretend it's a more cultured WDW trip.

Alternately (highly irrational option), you could do Tokyo and Paris on separate trips, if Paris appeals to you (Ratatouille, upgraded castle park, etc). I get that they're on other sides of the world, but you're already going on separate Disney trips, you could get more Disney and more culture that way? As I said, irrational, but especially if you've never done Paris I could see the appeal.

Naturally you're welcome to do what you like and stick with your original plan, but full bias disclosure, I truly feel the WDW product is subpar right now compared to the others around the world, especially for the prices you'd be paying (highest in the world), although I suppose they could surprise us all with great discounts when they reopen. In terms of new attractions, you could experience Tron at Shanghai, Ratatouille in Paris (and it's not a ride I particularly care for), and MMRR will eventually open at DLR. I suppose there's other worthwhile stuff that's opened, but the only stuff unlikely to leave WDW (IMO) are the attractions of Pandora and Slinky Dog.

Food for thought.

cmwade77

My June trip is all up in the air at this point. Not only if the park reopens in time, but no idea what will happen with school schedules. The grade/middle/high schools in OR aren’t going to online schools because too many kids don’t have access, soooo do they not get a summer? Just test them out of the grade? No friggin idea.
Umm, not having internet access shouldn't be a hindrance to online education, as most ISPs are providing free internet access (wifi where available and providing modems where it isn't) for at least the next 90 days to students that don't have internet for this very reason and many are offering free chromebooks or other inexpensive computers as well.

PiratesMansion

Come to think of it, I'm actually more worried about my NON-Disney plans. I like to pre-purchase things over time before my trip (makes the $ seem more manageable if it's spread out over a longer period IMO), and I had a big road trip planned. I'm not worried about hotels, but I have already bought tickets for four relatively obscure parks in CO and UT, and because they're largely smaller, independent parks I imagine they will by and large be less forgiving because "you still have the rest of the season to use your tickets." Which would be fine...if I was local.

Just have to see how it all goes.

Curious Constance

Umm, not having internet access shouldn't be a hindrance to online education, as most ISPs are providing free internet access (wifi where available and providing modems where it isn't) for at least the next 90 days to students that don't have internet for this very reason and many are offering free chromebooks or other inexpensive computers as well.
🤷‍♀️Just telling you what the news said about online education in OR. I just got an email from our particular school district and they are confirming that there are no online school plans. They will provide packets that the students can access online or go in and pick up physical paper for. But these packets will apparently be what they are doing until they get back to school.

Still don’t know if that means that they will or will not have to make this time up and if they will get a summer or not.

fctiger

So you say you were planning WDW & Tokyo...

Have you considered doing Tokyo & the Chinese parks in one trip instead of Tokyo and WDW on separate trips? They're all about four hours apart from each other by air, if you're already going all the way to Tokyo (also, because I combined parks/cities my airfare went DOWN more than $500). Admission would be cheaper across the board, and you'd get 100% new park experiences. Mystic Manor and Shanghai Pirates are 100% worth the hype and won't be coming here any time soon, and both parks are great experiences. Since there are four parks (albeit several hours apart by plane) with fantastic cities next to them, you can almost pretend it's a more cultured WDW trip.

Alternately (highly irrational option), you could do Tokyo and Paris on separate trips, if Paris appeals to you (Ratatouille, upgraded castle park, etc). I get that they're on other sides of the world, but you're already going on separate Disney trips, you could get more Disney and more culture that way? As I said, irrational, but especially if you've never done Paris I could see the appeal.

Naturally you're welcome to do what you like and stick with your original plan, but full bias disclosure, I truly feel the WDW product is subpar right now compared to the others around the world, especially for the prices you'd be paying (highest in the world), although I suppose they could surprise us all with great discounts when they reopen. In terms of new attractions, you could experience Tron at Shanghai, Ratatouille in Paris (and it's not a ride I particularly care for), and MMRR will eventually open at DLR. I suppose there's other worthwhile stuff that's opened, but the only stuff unlikely to leave WDW (IMO) are the attractions of Pandora and Slinky Dog.

Food for thought.

LOLL thanks but I been to HKDL five times now, first time a week it opened in 2005 and SDL twice already. The last two Disney trips abroad were SDL in 2017 and HKDL in 2018 (and yes because of Pirates and Mystic Manor among others). And I already have plans to go back to HKDL next year after the new Frozen land opens. I was considering going back this year but decided not to since the Ant Man ride sounds like a dud. Ironically that's why I was going back to WDW, I been avoiding that for a long time because most of my focus has been DLR and the Chinese parks. I prefer those parks to WDW ANY day! I love Disney but I don't want to spend a week and the ridiculous price to do it in the hot blazing sun. No thanks! 2-3 days is really my limit in general regardless of resort. Its also why I was going in September...it's cheaper (and a bit cooler)! And everyone keeps talking about FOP so yeah! I haven't been to Tokyo only because nothing new has opened up that has really caught my attention when compared to the other resorts (and I use to live in Tokyo so I been to that resort over a dozen times) and its just more expensive to travel through Japan in general.

But your Paris idea sounds great. It's really that park (along with WDW) I don't seem to have much interest in traveling to but I have been twice although the last time was waaaay back in 2002. Mostly because I don't really go Europe in general and WDSP is still not worth going IMO. But that is looking like it will change. So I COULD consider that but its in the same boat as the others for now in terms of what it will look like once it does open up.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom