2023 could be the downfall Disney

Raineman

Logic and perspective-two things that some members of this community constantly display a lack of. Hyperbole and overreaction-definitely no lack of that on here.
giphy.gif
tenor.gif

JIMINYCR

Things will progress as they have in the past. Uni will build up, Disney will observe, counter with something thats been in the works but not developed yet and afterwards there will be a debate on which side has the better attractions. Disney will continue to draw the most guests and prices will be what they will able to charge and maintain numbers.

BoarderPhreak

I think 2020 is already shaping up to be worse. Iger has left, coronavirus has shut down several parks (with another possibly looming), Epcot is gutted (with SSE closing soon to boot) and Hollywood Studios unbearable with the crowds (only good if you're a Disney beancounter). Any notion of visiting this year is basically out the window. Next year doesn't look so good either.

Mickey5150

Disney will never lower prices. They know that the lemmings will keep paying them no matter how high they get and all Disney has to do is make some small extension of a park with two rides and two places to eat and stores. And then they will make even more money because they continually raise the prices to eat and buy merch in the parks as well.
Enjoying something and having enough money to pay for it doesn't make one a lemming.

Mickey5150

So you are saying that Disney is a park only for the wealthy who can afford their prices no matter how high they get?
No, but there is no need to call people lemmings because they choose to pay higher prices. I'm not wealthy, I may not even be middle class but going to Walt Disney World is my favorite thing to do so I spend and save money wisely so I can go. There is nothing in this world whose price is going down, lots of things are expensive, and if WDW keeps going up in price I will do what is necessary to afford it because it's what I love.

Disstevefan1

So you are saying that Disney is a park only for the wealthy who can afford their prices no matter how high they get?

This is my understanding. Disney IS for those who can afford their prices no matter how high they get. It always has been. Like anything else in the world for that matter.

I will be priced out of Disney eventually. It’s a fact of life, like death and taxes.

BromBones

No, but there is no need to call people lemmings because they choose to pay higher prices. I'm not wealthy, I may not even be middle class but going to Walt Disney World is my favorite thing to do so I spend and save money wisely so I can go. There is nothing in this world whose price is going down, lots of things are expensive, and if WDW keeps going up in price I will do what is necessary to afford it because it's what I love.

It's okay to love Disney. My wife loves Disney, but when they keep raising prices but offer you less product for more money then it makes good financial sense to stop going the the parks. As long as Disney knows there are people who will blindly continue to pay those ridiculous costs with no push back then they will continue to raising their prices.
As I said...they know they have lemmings that will pay whatever Disney says no matter how little they get for their dollar.

Have fun because for a trip to Disney you can afford a trip to Hawaii now.

BromBones

This is my understanding. Disney IS for those who can afford their prices no matter how high they get. It always has been. Like anything else in the world for that matter.

I will be priced out of Disney eventually. It’s a fact of life, like death and taxes.

Exactly. That's why this will probably be our last year for a while. I just can't justify the cost any longer. They really haven't provided anything significantly impressive. Pandora (2 rides, 2 eateries and shops). Space Adventureland (in space) (2 rides, 2 eateries and shops). New Fantasyland (2 rides, 2 eateries and shops). And they keep raising the prices for nothing much.

Meanwhile they sure are going out of their way to pretty much build nothing but DVC hotels which cater to the wealthy.
It's no longer worth it. We can afford a trip to Hawaii for what it costs to stay a week in Disney.

eliza61nyc

It's okay to love Disney. My wife loves Disney, but when they keep raising prices but offer you less product for more money then it makes good financial sense to stop going the the parks. As long as Disney knows there are people who will blindly continue to pay those ridiculous costs with no push back then they will continue to raising their prices.
As I said...they know they have lemmings that will pay whatever Disney says no matter how little they get for their dollar.

Have fun because for a trip to Disney you can afford a trip to Hawaii now.

Why do you say it's "blindly". I don't know anyone who just hands over their money without thought??
Yes, I know what other trips I can take instead of Disney. That's the point, I have no desire to spend 12 hours on a plane to get to a beach. Why do you assume that people who spend the money to go to Disney are clueless about what else you can do on vacation??
People spout that a lot here, they will call you "foolish" if you stay at a deluxe because obviously you're too stupid to realize you can stay off-site for less. 🙄

We go to Disney because that is where we love to be and we can afford it. We have figured out how to use the net and we have passports, we can add and subtract so it's easy for us to calculate what is a good value for us. I have a trip report of my trip to Greece from September, no I am not rich

Here's my general question, do you also assume that people who purchase other luxury products are somehow clueless?
If a person buys a Mercedes instead of a Toyota are they too a lemming (we're assuming that all items can be afforded)
A women buys a Louie Vuitton bag for 4k is she foolish??

Last edited:

BromBones

Why do you say it's "blindly". I don't know anyone who just hands over their money without thought??
Yes, I know what other trips I can take instead of Disney. That's the point, I have no desire to spend 12 hours on a plane to get to a beach. Why do you assume that people who spend the money to go to Disney are clueless about what else you can do on vacation??
People spout that a lot here, they will call you "foolish" if you stay at a deluxe because obviously you're too stupid to realize you can stay off-site for less. 🙄

We go to Disney because that is where we love to be and we can afford it. We have figured out how to use the net and we have passports, we can add and subtract so it's easy for us to calculate what is a good value for us. I have a trip report of my trip to Greece from September, no I am not rich

Here's my general question, do you also assume that people who purchase other luxury products are somehow clueless?
If a person buys a Mercedes instead of a Toyota are they too a lemming (we're assuming that all items can be afforded)
A women buys a Louie Vuitton bag for 4k is she foolish??

The answer to your general question.. No to the Mercedes because that is a well made car. It's too expensive, but if you want to waste money on something that expensive at least it's a mode of transportation.

A $4000 Louie Vuitton handbag. Yes...she is foolish. It's a handbag.

And my lemming point directs to those who love Disney SO blindly that no matter how little they offer the customer, no matter how expensive it gets...they will find a way to pay for it because of their blind love.
For some people Disney could give them poop on bread and charge them a ridiculous amount...and they would pay it because the poop is shaped like the Mickey logo.

eliza61nyc

The answer to your general question.. No to the Mercedes because that is a well made car. It's too expensive, but if you want to waste money on something that expensive at least it's a mode of transportation.

And my lemming point directs to those who love Disney SO blindly that no matter how little they offer the customer, no matter how expensive it gets...they will find a way to pay for it because of their blind love.
For some people Disney could give them poop on bread and charge them a ridiculous amount...and they would pay it because the poop is shaped like the Mickey logo.

lol, now that's a visual. So I think for many people "value" is not all about money. My LV handbag girlfriend? that was a gift for herself for becoming a 5 year cancer survivor. I find that she is probably one of the wisest (sp?) person on the planet. she faced a life threatening event and now realizes that some times it's not about how much some thing cost.

My brother takes his granddaughters to the afternoon tea with the fairy godmother at the GF. Is it worth the price tag? for most people probably not, for my brother? he lives in Nevada, only gets to see his granddaughters twice or maybe 3 times a year. yeah, it's one of the most special moments he cherishes. so it's worth whatever he has to pay. could he go to Ihop and do the same thing?? probably.

that's the problem with trying to assign worth for other people using your metrics. You don't know how they assess their life. My family?? we love disney, it's that simple. When we are there we are supremely happy. we don't measure our lives based on what happen 20 years ago. We have a vacation budget just as we have a budget for every thing we want to purchase. as long as the price is in the budget we go.
That's the joy of working and earning money.
Me, I love live theater so for me spending 700 bucks per person to see Hamilton is worth the cost. can I do it every month? hell naw but it was fabulous and my family loved it.

Last edited:

BromBones

lol, now that's a visual. So I think for many people "value" is not all about money. My LV handbag girlfriend? that was a gift for herself for becoming a 5 year cancer survivor. I find that she is probably one of the wisest (sp?) person on the planet. she faced a life threatening event and now realizes that some times it's not about how much some thing cost.

My brother takes his granddaughters to the afternoon tea with the fairy godmother at the GF. Is it worth the price tag? for most people probably not, for my brother? he lives in Nevada, only gets to see his granddaughters twice or maybe 3 times a year. yeah, it's one of the most special moments he cherishes. so it's worth whatever he has to pay. could he go to Ihop and do the same thing?? probably.

that's the problem with trying to assign worth for other people using your metrics. You don't know how they assess their life. My family?? we love disney, it's that simple. When we are there we are supremely happy. we don't measure our lives based on what happen 20 years ago. We have a vacation budget just as we have a budget for every thing we want to purchase. as long as the price is in the budget we go.
That's the joy of working and earning money.
Me, I love live theater so for me spending 700 bucks per person to see Hamilton is worth the cost. can I do it every month? hell naw but it was fabulous and my family loved it.

See now if you had qualified the handbag question that's very different.
"My LV handbag girlfriend? that was a gift for herself for becoming a 5 year cancer survivor."

That is a VERY Different circumstance. It's far different than a person just buying a $4K handbag because it's LV.

"he lives in Nevada, only gets to see his granddaughters twice or maybe 3 times a year."
Different story. Now you're qualifying the scenarios. That is a very different circumstance.
It's not that he takes them there every year, or several times a year. That is a valuable experience which can be justified.

To the rest of your point. You provided your scenarios without justification behind them.
The closest you got to my point is when you mentioned spending $700 to see Hamilton. You wrote, "can I do it every month? hell naw"
And that's my point. Spending that money for a once in a lifetime opportunity, or a very special opportunity is quite different than going to Disney every year or several times a year no matter how high they raise the prices.

And there are people who will do just that. I go back my poop sandwich analogy. It's not the most eloquent but it makes the point.
Some people, and far too many in my opinion will buy anything Disney simply because it's Disney and Disney knows this which is why they can get away with raising tickets prices every year while summarily taking away more attractions and experiences.

eliza61nyc

See now if you had qualified the handbag question that's very different.
"My LV handbag girlfriend? that was a gift for herself for becoming a 5 year cancer survivor."

That is a VERY Different circumstance. It's far different than a person just buying a $4K handbag because it's LV.

"he lives in Nevada, only gets to see his granddaughters twice or maybe 3 times a year."
Different story. Now you're qualifying the scenarios. That is a very different circumstance.
It's not that he takes them there every year, or several times a year. That is a valuable experience which can be justified.

To the rest of your point. You provided your scenarios without justification behind them.
The closest you got to my point is when you mentioned spending $700 to see Hamilton. You wrote, "can I do it every month? hell naw"
And that's my point. Spending that money for a once in a lifetime opportunity, or a very special opportunity is quite different than going to Disney every year or several times a year no matter how high they raise the prices.

And there are people who will do just that. I go back my poop sandwich analogy. It's not the most eloquent but it makes the point.
Some people, and far too many in my opinion will buy anything Disney simply because it's Disney and Disney knows this which is why they can get away with raising tickets prices every year while summarily taking away more attractions and experiences.

I think the issue is just assuming that people who go are "lemmings" unable to make a decision.
I intentionally left off the scenarios for that reason.
May I ask how you know that most people go to Disney because it's Disney and can't analyze whether it's worth the cost? Basically what you're saying is that they have no idea what other travel options there are or if it's in their budget. you're saying because you no longer find the value in it, all those people who do

Ok it's an interesting concept, let me just say, my family and friends who go to Disney annually are decent travelers. We know about tons of other options, we know how to budget save, etcetc. When we go to wdw it's because it has consistently delivered excellent vacations.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I feel that the combination of the new Bob CEO plus Universal opening their new park in 2023 Disney better be on their best game in the next few years otherwise I think their market share will sharply drop. This new article states some very amazing design aspects for the new Universal Park and if they do it right (which I have a feeling they will) it will really be better then a Disney park.

Here’s the article:

Market share doesn't matter if the whole pie keeps increasing faster than the loss in market share.

WDW's market share has gone down, but attendance keeps going up, even with big price increases.

If the overall tourist industry for Orlando shrinks. *Then* market share counts. But if that were to happen... would the ones who can still afford to vacation chose something else over Disney?

Mickey5150

I love it when people are trying to make a point so they have to say something outlandish like a poop sandwich. I think you misunderstand what it means to call someone a lemming. I'm not going to WDW because I'm blindly following someone else, I go because I choose to. I could choose to go to Universal, but I don't care for it. I could choose to go to Six Flags, but I prefer some actual theming to my theme park. I choose to go to WDW and DLR because I enjoy going there. I've been going to the parks for decades and I love them more now then I did in the past. Honestly the only thing I don't like about Disney raising prices is that it hasn't lowered attendance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom