You could lose a hand doing laundry at the turn of the century! This week at Carousel of Progress

Phil12

She's an alien from outer space and while she was performing a probe upon a hapless earthling, it's obvious that the earthling fought back! Never fear, aliens of her species are able to regenerate their extremities within a few weeks under normal earth conditions. Regeneration occurs much more quickly if she spends a few hours in a hyperbaric chamber filled with carbon dioxide.

po1998

I love CoP and it makes me sad(but not surprised) that attraction upkeep continues to be a major problem at WDW 😞

Tony the Tigger

I could see where some attractions are difficult to maintain and require some skillful planning. But CoP ? It's a slow-moving animatronic with basic repetitive movements. You would think daily inspections and one technician would be more than enough to keep that attraction in presentable shape.

It’s not like they can go to the hand store on I-4.

Sad, I ride this EVERY TIME I'm in the Magic Kingdom. Poor show Disney!

I’d rather see the CoP with a missing hand (that I doubt I’d notice - because I’m always watching the dog, of course) than walk up to a “closed” sign.

Goofyernmost

Part of me wants to laugh. But the other part of me feels my heart sinking into the pit of my stomach.

What the absolute HELL, Disney?
Stay calm. Everyone is acting like it broke about 3 years ago and no one has addressed it yet. It might have come apart just minutes before the picture was taken. It is a quick temporary fix and one that wouldn't be ignored for very long. Worst case scenario is good old dependable duct tape. It's not a bad show it's is a malfunctioning piece of machinery. (that's the thing about machines, they break once in awhile) Even if it happened before it is possible that no one was told about it and CM's don't ride the ride. (To preserve their sanity, I would guess.)

I rode it once when the daughter was brushing her hair and her hand fell off and was just flopping along side of her head. I thought it was kind of funny, but I still informed a CM when I got off. I went back on a couple of hours later and it was fixed.

Phil12

Still love the ride, it is a classic. I never understand how we don't appreciate it these days? Too busy with our phone in our noses to appreciate it? Too impatient. I don't get it.
Well, you don't see too many pay telephones any longer either. The attraction was created over half a century ago as an advertisement for GE appliances. And now, GE appliances is owned by Qingdao Haier Co.

It's not a matter of impatience but rather education. GE appliances were never very good and that's why they had to adverise so much. Fortunately, most consumers are savvy enough not to purchase GE appliances but it is funny to look back at the warped advertising campaign used by Disney to sell GE products.

But, to their credit, GE appliances are the repairman's best friend. It's obvious that with Jimmy's repeated experiences of fuse replacement, he grew up to be a GE repairman.

Walt Disney1955

Well, you don't see too many pay telephones any longer either. The attraction was created over half a century ago as an advertisement for GE appliances. And now, GE appliances is owned by Qingdao Haier Co.

It's not a matter of impatience but rather education. GE appliances were never very good and that's why they had to adverise so much. Fortunately, most consumers are savvy enough not to purchase GE appliances but it is funny to look back at the warped advertising campaign used by Disney to sell GE products.

But, to their credit, GE appliances are the repairman's best friend. It's obvious that with Jimmy's repeated experiences of fuse replacement, he grew up to be a GE repairman.

So I am confused, do you think the attraction should go on the chopping block just because it is old? It has withstood the test of time and still is a fine attraction.

Captain Barbossa

So I am confused, do you think the attraction should go on the chopping block just because it is old? It has withstood the test of time and still is a fine attraction.
That, and I think that someone has had a bad experience with GE products, and therefore GE is a horrible company that makes horrible appliances, and since CoP showcases GE appliances, it most definitely deserves a ticket straight to the choppin' block. Makes sense, right? ;)

Phil12

That, and I think that someone has had a bad experience with GE products, and therefore GE is a horrible company that makes horrible appliances, and since CoP showcases GE appliances, it most definitely deserves a ticket straight to the choppin' block. Makes sense, right? ;)
Not really. I've always been aware of the poor quality of GE appliances and therefore avoided them. But as for CoP, it's an historic icon and would be well suited for a museum where it would be preserved and protected. As it stands now, when Disney gets fed up with the maintenance costs they'll strike that set and build an attraction that is better suited for Tomorrowland. Elvis Stitch would be perfect to help sell Aulani DVC.
1580590929368.png

Phil12

They've had a bad reputation in the appliance business for their entire run. GE sold the appliance division and had a difficult time finding a buyer and then the sale was blocked by the DOJ. GE appliances are most often installed by contractors because GE sells them cheap and makes money off the inevitable repairs. Haier and KKR bought GE appliances with the hope that they can turn around the appliance division and turn it into a worthwhile company. It's a big risk because GE appliances built in that Louisville, Ky plant have always been terrible. However, I wish Haier the best of luck!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

In the interest of transparency, you should disclaim any interest in competing products.

KimAnnFran

I've seen two things on CoP that were just as bad or disturbing.....it's just part of life, they are machines, machines need upkeep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom