News Blizzard Beach closing for extended refurbishment this year with enhancements coming

Touchdown

I’m really hoping for a 5 person raft water coaster like Mammoth at Holiday World in Indiana. It’s the best water slide I’ve ever ridden, it has a higher capacity then normal water coasters, there is nothing in the Orlando market like it and it is a far more fun ride as your raft can spin on the ride.

CJR

I've heard two concepts for an expansion. Both would make people happy (more than Miss Adventure Falls) from a ride experience perspective. Not sure on theming.

So, more like what the Crush 'N' Gusher was to Typhoon Lagoon? Anything on that level would make me happy, especially if they carried the rafts up to the top this time.

Magic Feather

Can't they be retrofitting Teamboat Springs and building a new attraction? I mean, it seems unlikely coming from Disney but @Magic Feather just indicated that some new concepts are being considered.
There have been expansion concepts at B.B. for ages. I had recently been given a refresh on considered proposals. No confirmation that anything is happening though.

ryguy

Pretty sad how Disney has neglected the two water parks. Over 20 years and no new attraction for Blizzard Beach. So much new water slide technology the last 20 years the park should be off the charts, instead it's Embarrassing. Both parks are really well themed and should be the best water parks in the world. Instead they lag in the industry owned by a company that prints money. Kinda sums up Disney the last 20 years.

Also I hate the argument that waterparks are not money makers so therefore we shouldn't reinvest in them. That's BS, I built a pool for my family, it didn't necessarily increase the value of my home. But the family enjoyed it.

“Disneyland is something that will never be finished.” – Walt Disney

“Disneyland is not just another amusement park. It’s unique, and I want it kept that way. Besides, you don’t work for a dollar- you work to create and have fun.” – Walt Disney

WDW Pro

Pretty sad how Disney has neglected the two water parks. Over 20 years and no new attraction for Blizzard Beach. So much new water slide technology the last 20 years the park should be off the charts, instead it's Embarrassing. Both parks are really well themed and should be the best water parks in the world. Instead they lag in the industry owned by a company that prints money. Kinda sums up Disney the last 20 years.

Also I hate the argument that waterparks are not money makers so therefore we shouldn't reinvest in them. That's BS, I built a pool for my family, it didn't necessarily increase the value of my home. But the family enjoyed it.

“Disneyland is something that will never be finished.” – Walt Disney

“Disneyland is not just another amusement park. It’s unique, and I want it kept that way. Besides, you don’t work for a dollar- you work to create and have fun.” – Walt Disney

For a plethora of reasons, Blizzard Beach is extremely difficult to expand. The one expansion pad they have would require pathway re-configuring and is currently used for holding large parts / equipment.

trainplane3

For a plethora of reasons, Blizzard Beach is extremely difficult to expand. The one expansion pad they have would require pathway re-configuring and is currently used for holding large parts / equipment.
One of these areas?
beach.JPG

Monorail_Orange

Funny, I remember some guy named Walt Disney once saying "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

ToTBellHop

Funny, I remember some guy named Walt Disney once saying "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
That's not the issue. They won't add something if they don't think it will grow profits. Only a certain number of guests will go to a water park and most will only go to one. For less money, they've been able to grow Typhoon Lagoon in the midst of falling guest attendance at water parks as they don't really care which one people go to--tickets cost the same. They will add to Blizzard Beach once they decide doing so can increase the absolute number of water park guests and that they can't do the same thing at Typhoon for less money.

Monorail_Orange

That's not the issue. They won't add something if they don't think it will grow profits. Only a certain number of guests will go to a water park and most will only go to one. For less money, they've been able to grow Typhoon Lagoon in the midst of falling guest attendance at water parks as they don't really care which one people go to--tickets cost the same. They will add to Blizzard Beach once they decide doing so can increase the absolute number of water park guests and that they can't do the same thing at Typhoon for less money.
I don't disagree, and I acknowledge I was not clear in that regard. I was responding primarily to the idea that it's difficult to expand BB - and I'm not disputing that - I am simply taking issue with the idea that it shouldn't be done only because it would be difficult. I think it's a separate issue as to how expensive it is and whether the cost/benefit analysis indicates that it should be undertaken. And in that respect, I completely agree with everything you just said.

CJR

I believe that the newer Orlando water parks are starting to finally get Disney to look at its own water parks, hence the desire to expand. It's only a matter of time, I believe. It would be interesting to look at attendance levels for BB over the last then years. Is it pulling guests in like it should/used to? Definitely feels more empty during the off season than it used to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom